Potential Bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by shanef, May 11, 2012.

1. shanef

shanef Member

Hi all,

First time post here and i have some questions re my slow running pc, mainly in gaming.

Firstly current specs: (built it 5yrs ago, so it's 'aged' abit)
    Intel E6700 @ 3700ghz (watercooled)
    Asus 9800GTX+ (stock)
    Asus P5G41T-M LX3
    G Skill Sniper 1333mhz 8gb
    Windows 7 64bit

Now the problem i'm having is that my previous motherboard died (Asus P5N32-E SLI) and i replaced it with the above board. When i did this, i had to change from DDR2 to DDR3 (DDR2 was G Skill 1066mhz 4gb). Pre board change i could run MW3 fairly well, also MW2 extremely well but since the change of MB & RAM i can't run either, frames are about 30fps average, which is unplayable

What are your thoughts on the problem? Motherboard bottleneck? Any suggestions on how to find the route of the problem?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Did you format and reinstall after the board change?

New chipset drivers?

3. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

Yes to both

4. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Is it possible that after the format and reinstall you are now playing in a higher resolution than you were before?

5. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

No. I played around with the video settings in game, even on lowest it's still slow

6. Yawnie

Yawnie Member

are u sure the RAM is running at correct frequency and timings? Those combo boards take shortcuts sometimes

7. Sven76

Sven76 Member

NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI vs IntelĀ® G41 /ICH7

I am clutching at straws here and I hope some one will set me straight if I am wrong but I have a feeling I read reviews somewhere about the 2 different chipsets at the time they were current and the 2nd one (your current one) wasnt as good as your first one... Essentially I am guessing your 2 boards are not equals and this is the issue

8. Yawnie

Yawnie Member

I think sven could be on to something there, i got an asrock G41 board and that exact ASUS board and the enthusiast board is of course better

9. Sven76

Sven76 Member

If i give you her number can you ring my Missus and tell her i might have been right about something :) ....

I have googled my heart out but cant get the review im thinking about .... has anyone else noticed google has gone to shit for searching lately ?

10. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

I've got a feeling this board is rubbish...

According to CPU-Z the RAM timings are set incorrectly:

[​IMG]

However when i go into the Bios (which i updated) and manually input the correct timings (9-9-9-24) on reboot the computer crashes and on the next boot it comes up with "Overclocking or overvoltage error". (Pic below shows settings after i Disable 'Configure DRAM Timing by SPD')

[​IMG]

Other problem i've found, is that on Core Temp & HW Monitor, niehter show the CPU core temp's :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Yawnie

Yawnie Member

Asus Asrock and Gigabyte all still manufacture basic socket 775 boards, but they are really only for non gaming pcs. The Gigabyte one is the only only one with solid capacitors if I remember, and they all cost around 50 bucks. If u can find any kind of enthusiast 775 board now expect to pay at least 100 new

12. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Why is the cpu showing up as P4 Preshott Nuclear Reactor? Did you put the right cpu back in when you upgraded mobo? (yes I've done this before)

13. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

Same CPU. I might re-seat it later today

14. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

Well i re-seated the cpu and ram sticks, same problem. I've dropped it off at the local PC shop for them to diagnose.

In the meantime i've been looking at the I7 combo's...

15. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

Well i found the problem. Turns out when i had the computer checked by a local pc shop for a faulty motherboard in fbruary, they decided they'd put an old P4 chip in instead of my E6700.

Worked out alright though, because i'm picking up a 2500k tomorrow to go with the Z68 board i bought today :lol:

Thanks for the help fellas!

16. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

So you've been using a P4 since Feb & you didn't realize?

17. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

I noticed it was running slow, didn't notice it was because it was running on a P4. Not something you check, or should check, you'd think.

PC Shop diagnosed Motherboard had died. Bought new mobo from another shop, installed myself, since new board change didn't run like it use to. Ancient cpu explains that though.

18. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

I check all my components every single day :wired::lol:

So let me get this straight, you put your pc in for a checkup & the dogged you by sticking a crap old P4 in??

19. Marksman X

Marksman X Member

Yeah that's a bit shit.

20. OP
    OP
    shanef

shanef Member

Yep that's correct