1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Power boards?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by MR CHILLED, May 9, 2022.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

In the market for a new power board as the main one I have now has some dodgy connectors.

I've been using the CyberPower 8 port surge protector board that comes pretty well recommended but I've found some of the points becoming dodgy over time, which is strange because I don't really plug/unplug devices all that often.

0042717_0.png

Would need a board which has 8-12 power connectors, don't need any usb connectors. But want something solid that will last. Happy to pay better dollars to get something decent, probably looking at sub $100 though. Plugs don't necessarily have to be widely spaced as most of the plugs I have are your regular pc power style cable type plugs.

What do you use and/or that you recommend?

2. rg144

rg144 Member

I use the Belkin boards, have quite a few in 4, 6 and 8 plug configs. Bit pricey but never had a problem with them.

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. rg144

rg144 Member

Yeh combination of those (they’re current gen Belkin), and some older black AV boards like this (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0749PSP4Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F1Y9WNPY3FGFDTXQMPDY)

Not sure if the black AV boards still available, mine would be ~ 8 yrs old?

EDIT: Also have one of these- Belkin Conserve with a remote for 6 of the outlets. About 6 y/o no issues but remote can be a bit temperamental (after prolonged periods of time loses connection to the board, requires quick reset button on the board for remote to gain connection again. Doesn’t affect power delivery/reliability though, just remote power on/off)

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  5. Elmf

Elmf Member

I moved from Cyberpower to Belkin because the Cyberpower ones wouldn't hold in the plugs anymore causing unnecessary arcing. Also rattled. Pieces of shit.

vladtepes likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep yep, that's the same problem I'm getting on mine.

Elmf likes this.
  7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i've got about 4-5 Belkins around the place, seem to be pretty good value and do the job

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

9. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Thor surge protectors are amazing in comparison to the Belkins or any other manufacturer however they do cost noticebly more. I'd recommend the simple Belkins if you don't want to spend more then $50

10. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

11. mareke

mareke Member

12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

daisy chaining power boards is not recommended, though i know many people do and have no issues

13. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Not only that, manufacturers consider it a breach/voiding warranty.

14. rg144

rg144 Member

15. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

Its fine, each one has a breaker in it, any overload will trip the breaker in the first powerboard. Double adapters definitely not, which is what people always seen to have their washer and dryer plugged into.

romp likes this.
  16. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

~$250... depending on configuration.

rg144 likes this.
  17. romp

romp Member

+1 for the Belkin surge protector powerboards everyone is talking about. I've been using the 6 outlet one with no issues. Belkin also offer a pretty good surge protection warranty on these models (up to $2500 connected equipment warranty - see here https://www.belkin.com/au/claim/submission/)

Hot tip - if you have access to Good Guys Commercial, they stock the 4 outlet version for $20, 6 outlet for $22 and 8 outlet for $39. To give you an idea, someone above posted the link on Bunnings' website to the 8 outlet version which they sell for $57 so a decent saving is available.

18. rg144

rg144 Member

is that from (starting) price then upwards, or on ~$250 average for a 4 outlet GPO board?

19. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I bought 3 of those Cyberpower ones a while back from shoppingexpress for maybe $70-$80? Doing the job fine for me but only 6 months old. They aren't something I'd ever sink big money into. Does anyone know anyone who has ever had a power spike and lodged a successful claim to a power board manufacturer? I suspect not many.

20. Schred

Schred Member

JSmithDTV and Sankari like this.