1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Power down, or not?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by bevanbraves, Nov 18, 2018.

1. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I have an apple MacBook air, with SSD.

At night i flip the screen down and it goes into sleep mode.

Is it OK for the laptop to be "on" all the time, i should i power it down?

2. Rass

Rass Member

I've had two MacBook airs with SSDs. Never intentionally powered them off. Ever. Generally when I'm done, I close the lid and put it in my bag. Very occasionally they got a reboot or ran out of battery and shut themselves down.

3. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Yes its ok. I never power any of my macs down. Have been using my late 2010 MacBook Air for 8 years like this. Letting them go to sleep is almost as good as being "off", with the benefit of instant on, exactly where you left off.

4. power

power Member

any consumer machine regardless of whether it's a macbook, iphone or windows 10 pc they really only need a restart once a month which is usually enough for updates or if they are running a bit funky.

if your macbook is only on batteries not a great idea to sleep it too often as you are likely to run the battery completely down if you leave it for an extended period.

5. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

The drain on a macbooks battery when it is sleeping is miniscule - my take on it is if I plan to use the computer in the next few hours I sleep it, if I am going to leave it in my bag overnight (say I am travelling and too lazy to put it on the charger) I usually shut it down. At home I use mine in clamshell mode so it's always sleeping when I am not using it - I usually just reboot it once a week or so.

Done this with both my 2013 macbook pro and do the same with my 2018 one. They have always woken up right where I left off. Your air should go into hibernation mode about 3 hours after you sleep it, so the machine will take a bit longer to boot, but it will not consume any battery (apart from a minute amount to run the smc and lid sensor). Thats the reason macbooks can sleep for days on end and still have most of the battery capacity remaining for use when you wake it up.

The only reason it would consume more power is if the energy saver pane of setting has the powernap option checked while on battery. If it is, uncheck it or the machine will never hibernate (powernap allows the computer to wake periodically to check for updates, emails, imessages etc - so this "resets" the hibernation timer).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  6. power

power Member

that's why i said extended period.

7. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

wasn't having a stab at your comment power, we have all made valid points bout the subject :)