1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Saving device... Remote control 240v

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by BilboBoggles, Jan 16, 2008.

1. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Mareke, you're making an awful lot of what sounds like vendor verdicts, which is against the forum rules for obvious reasons. You had a problem with the product, fair enough. Beyond that, be careful, or keep your mouth shut.

2. mareke

mareke Member

You could do with some manners.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've found now that one of mine won't switch things off any more. I can hear it working, but I guess it's probably because I have overloaded it.

4. One&Only

One&Only Member

That's exactly what mine did. Could hear the clicking, light would go off on the unit but power would not switch off.

5. mareke

mareke Member

They would surely have incorporated a re-set switch or it would re-set itself after a time period in the case of overload rather than permanently cease to work properly. It's most likely poor design or manufacture. The idea behind these devices is great but a good quality reliable unit doesn't appear to have been made yet. I'd take it back for a refund rather than a replacement. Given the negative experience of so many people on the forum why would you persevere with it?

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I know it works because I can swap it over to another point and it's fine. I have a large number of devices attached to it via a 6 plug adapter, so I really am loading it up.

Not going to get a refund as I believe I am overloading it, most likely (2 pc's, 2 monitors, speakers, lava lamp, 8 port switch, laptop, 2 lamps...heh).

Because it works and it works well when you don't load it up.

7. disa1377

disa1377 Member

Speaking of Power saving device, I bought a Crest Earthsmart power board from Wow Sight & Sound a couple of months ago. Details below:

http://www.crestonline.biz/info/earthsmart

How it works is with a master power socket controlling 3-4 slave sockets. I have connected my pc to the master socket and the rest of sockets with speakers, LCD etc. When i turn on the pc, the powerboard detects an increase in current and turns the rest of slave sockets on and vice versa. Admittedly, i am wasting the standby power of my pc but its better than wasting with all peripherals connected. Besides, the powerboard comes with surge protection and unlimited connected equipment insurance. Works for Home etertainment systems too:) Works great for me and cost me only $100

8. OZeight

OZeight Member

Regarding the device that switches ON/OFF but doesn't do anything to what's plugged into it, the same happened to my now replaced unit. I believe you are correct about shorting it, of my 3 the one that died was the only one I cold shut down a running computer, printer, scanner etc. The other 2 I turned stuff off first. So the surge of things turning back on must have fried it. Though well short of 10A/2400W I think they are delicate. Will be gentle this time and hopefully no more dramas.

9. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

I think you need a reality check.
    Try doing a search for "arlec failed", "arlec melted" or "arlec died" and you'll see that your beloved arlec is far from fault free.

Edit: I'm not saying arlec are worse than other brands, just that they are not perfect either.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

11. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

you tried one yet? e intersting to see how stable this lot is. If i get there in time (before sold out if its a "special this week only item") i'll let you all know what I find out

12. OZeight

OZeight Member

Yeah I'm thinking of buying one to try out too. They don't mention power ratings though, does anyone know (have Aldi sold these before?) otherwise hopefully it says somewhere on the exterior packaging. I'd want it to support the full 10A/2400W

I've now had my Jaycar unit replaced twice, fingers crossed this is a viable alternative and I'll see about just getting my money back from Jaycar.

I'll report back with my findings, but I can't promise I'll buy it if I can't ensure its the full rating mentioned.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If anyone purchases the Adli version can you let us know how it goes please?

14. OZeight

OZeight Member

I got one! After walking around like an idiot for 30mins looking for it and staff all looking at me like I'm a jibbering idiot everytime I ask one of them where they are located I eventually found them, first thing checked was the rating and it is indeed rated for 2400W/10A usage. My first requirement met.

I haven't unboxed it all yet but will tonight and report back with any findings. Hopefully everything goes well. My 3rd jaycar replacement died again, this time it only made it to 1 day old. So 60 days to trial the Aldi one will be ample time. I think 2 Jaycar units died in that time frame.

Update:

Click to view full size!

That's what the box looks like to save others the trouble I had finding it in-store :) In my store it was tucked away inbetween 2 massive pile of boxes.

Okay first impressions are good. I couldn't work out how to operate / designate numbers with the remote so I had to open up the manual lol. I actually prefer this system to the Jaycar version with a hard switch on it. Dunno why, this just feels better.

It uses 27A 12V batteries so which is the same as the Jaycar unit (or did it use 23A?) and whilst I've only tested the remote from in the same room thus far, it works very nicely. This room is the best test because the wall socket is behind a bunch of furniture & appliances.

Not much more I can do now but wait 60 days and see how it fares.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  15. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

What load are you putting on them?
    I've burnt out a few time switches (all rated 2400W/10A) including the Arlec heavy duty 'designed for inductive load' timer (see above).
    If you are getting anywhere near full load, you should probably spread it around a bit more (use two slaves set to the same channel).

16. OZeight

OZeight Member

In reality I'm probably pushing close to 1200W through it but I always make sure everything is OFF before I hard switch it off and likewise before turning it on as I'm not sure but have a theory the "surge" related from turning stuff on the lazy way could fry some circuits.

As for your idea of sharing the same channel, INGENIOUS! That's a brilliant idea I never thought of doing that! As it is I can't find anywhere to use my 4th switch anyway so I'm going to do that today. Love your work!

And in general guys, I'm very impressed with the Aldi switch, my Jaycar remote impressed me. My Aldi remote impresses me even more. It works in places the Jaycar didn't. Both work through internal walls but the aldi seems to give off a stronger signal. Maybe it's harsher on the battery as a result but I bought 2 or 3 spares so that's okay.

17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I'm having the same problem, I've had one fail, took it back, then tried it again, that failed then the other 2 failed, it seems to crap it self when I plug it in with the 2 power boards which runs the tv and htpc/xbox, I don't run everything at once so the load shouldn't go over 2AMPs/400watts.

The 4th switch is bullshit, I've asked two Jaycars and they say that they don't have a part number for single adaptors, so it's not available, a 3rd Jaycar said that it's $25, wtf? yet for another $15 you get a 3 pack with a remote.

I reckon these Powertechs are Arlec, I've see an Arlec watt meter would looked exactly the same as my Powertech one.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  18. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Has anyone found one of these recently that works (reliably) and has separate buttons for on and off? I need to be able to send on/off without knowing what the current state is at the other end. Preferably with a large number of selectable channels, not just 3-5 channels on random or fixed frequencies. All the ones I knew of that do have two buttons per channel are presently unavailable. Really easy to design and build, bloody expensive to get tested and approved.

Alternatively, I've got cat5 running between the source and receiver, are there any single points that are controlled by USB or other ELV signal? I could use a spare pair on the CAT5 to control the power outlet, and split off the remaining pins for ethernet.

19. Odje

Odje Member

I would be interested in the same thing.

What is your greater goal LC?

20. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Can't give you details I'm afraid, but need to be able to reset power to something in the event that it locks up.

EDIT: BTW, you might be pleased to know I had my graduation yesterday. Bout time, eh?