1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Saving device... Remote control 240v

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by BilboBoggles, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Congratulations!
    Now it's time to get a hair cut and get a real job!!

2. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Got the real job, just need to find five minutes to get a bloody haircut. How the hell do people get anything done when working hours are at the same time the shops are open?

3. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

its been so long since i saw you IRL that i can't remember your hair so i can't comment, but when you find out how to manage time and shops around a real job hour scale, let me know, 6 years i still dont' know :confused:

4. Odje

Odje Member

Geezz, Congrats!!! About time indeed. I think you started uni before I did. I bet your glad to be out of that hell hole.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I stopped using mine a while wgo now.....had to keep pressing the buttons multiple times to get it working. Started to get really annoying.

6. Odje

Odje Member

7. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Thanks mate, dunno why I couldn't find them when I went looking last week. Most of the others on the market appear to have been discontinued, so I figured some issue with standards etc.

8. Odje

Odje Member

I found another one.

Jaycar MS6140

Also you should have a read of Make Magazine Volume 22 (current issue) Page 70-74. PM me if you need help.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

10. Anthw27

Anthw27 Member

So your using two power boards, not daisy chained I hope because that's illegal.
    If your using them individually off a double GPO, then I would definitely be reading the load at each GPO just to confirm your thoughts on load.

As 2400W is the absolute max one can draw out of a single or double GPO.
    It all comes down to the cable size and circuit balance after that.

11. bonox

bonox Member

not this crap again

Where is it written that you can't daisy chain power boards?

And how does doing it upset the breaker on the lead board?

12. juf

juf Member

Broom handles can cost from as little as $1.50. Put 20 cents of duct tape along the handle so you dont get splinters.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No, broom handles will not work in my situation and you expect people to resort to broom handles on a tech savvy forum? :tongue:

14. Anthw27

Anthw27 Member

Electrical Wiring Standards... Don't believe me ask a sparky

Besides that, power boards are rated to a maximum draw off 2400w if you daisy chain them with out caution then you will run the risk of overloading and starting fires.

I guess for breaker's it doesn't matter that much anymore, but if you still have a Fuse box and some do, then you would want to ensure that if there is more than one power circuit that they are balanced with roughly the same load, and then ensure that the correct fuse wire is used.

Many homes go up in flames thanks to poorly maintained electrical systems, overloaded power boards etc
    The wiring in the wall is only rated to 2400W max, I have had wiring 20yrs old catch fire at 2000 Watt draw before...aging

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  15. bonox

bonox Member

I don't think you know what daisy chaining is - ever made a real daisy chain? Out of flowers?

Power boards have load breakers in them, which is what i'm getting at.

Two power boards each on one outlet of a double GPO is not daisy chaining.

And again, how is a pair of chained 4 outlet powerboards different to one 7 outlet board?

Answer - they're not!

And yet you can happily buy 12 outlet boards!

And NONE of this is listed in wiring standards becuase it isn't fixed wiring.

16. pantner

pantner Member

i admit, i could be wrong, but i thought that wiring in a 10a/2400W circuit was rated to 15a. a 15a circuit had 20a wiring, etc.
    If you are putting a system in place that can draw up to 2400w i can't image you would be putting in wiring that can handle up to 2400w, that gives no room for any sort of variance.

17. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Which standard? (Hint: I want a number).

18. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I daisy chain power boards all the time. In the last place I was living, there was only one powerpoint in the room I was in. So I daisy chained powerboards and extension cords all the way around the room to get to the various area's I needed power :lol:. I also had a power meter on the outlet, so I was able to monitor how much load I was drawing. I was luckily able to plug the vacuum cleaner into a power point in the hall which was on a different circuit :D

19. lennie

lennie Member

Ohm's law anyone?

I think you fail somewhat at wiring standards. Go back and ask your sparky some questions. Like, what is a loop. A house is basically wired via a series of daisy chains. Along with your whole suburb/s. Dont tell us daisy chaining is illegal. If so, please provide the requsted standards number.

You are correct in that poor and or aged wiring can cause fires, along with faulty equipment. However, The wiring in the wall is most certainly not rated at only 2400W. The sockets might be, but not the wiring. A single phase breaker in a house will be rated at 20amps. That is 4800W. So no 2400W wiring for me please. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  20. bonox

bonox Member

is this true?

The distribution network is just a set of series and parallel lines - there can't be many houses taking a supply from another house surely! Houses tend to be parallel wired wrt to the street (but not necessarily on the same phase). Each circuit in a house is also a parallel distribution. You don't have one circuit piggy backing another, or the lead breaker and wiring would need to be double the capacity of the trailing one to get the full current on both circuits.

Or did I forget my glasses when I looked at the street wiring?

And Anthw27 - no-one ever said you could/should pull more from a circuit than the rating. You've always been able to put more than one heater and kettle on one circuit, even before power boards and double adapters were made.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010