1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Saving device... Remote control 240v

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by BilboBoggles, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mjunek

mjunek Member

I bought one of these 2 years ago - sits out the back yard under the pergola roof controlling the outside lighting - used to have a manual-switch board, but that absolutely sucked when you had to turn the lights off in the middle of the night!! (Fall into the pool if you're not careful!)

Must say the remote powerboard is awesome! - I use the remote from inside the house, and the powerboard would be a good 15-20m away - works brilliantly!

It's a "Click" branded unit. Handles the full 2400W/10A.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, just a rolling average.....all done:

[​IMG]

3. Odje

Odje Member

Probably already been asked, but too many posts to go through.
    MR CHILLED: How are you collecting the data?

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's ok. It's not a really ideal way of analysing but it's probably the only way I really have - I'm just using my quartly electricity bills since late 2004, so Quarter vs $.

The spike at the end of the rolling graph was because of the severe heatspell we had this year when some days were over 44C and one day over 45C. I had the aircon going absolutely full bore all day and night, something which I never ever do or have done in the past.

It does look like it's making a difference but I'm still not convinced and I need more data to analyse.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. Imitation

Imitation Member

Wow didn't realise that was $$.. thought it was kwh lol.. didn't seem like a whole lot of power :) Just read back up the thread. Well that's quite a saving for sure.. and if power becomes more expensive as we expect it will then the savings you have made will only be magnified :thumbup:.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I'd still like to see how it continues over time.....I'm still not convinced, need more data : )

7. thebranded

thebranded Member

did a check (using a kill-a-watt) and my pc draws 40watt on standby. So i may as well do all the other rooms as well.

Is jaycr and bunnings the only place that sell these? Jayar's seem to do only 4 points, who sell sthe ones that do more?

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not sure what you mean by "4 points"? As in can control four power outlets?

9. thebranded

thebranded Member

yep power points, there was mention of ones that can do up to 255, not that i need that many, but are there ones that do say 8?

if you get two remotes will it still switch only 4 power points?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well the ones I've picked up will do 3 points......as there is really only room enough on the remote for three, maybe four controls.

11. thebranded

thebranded Member

ok measureing via kill-a-watt, pc draws 40w on standby while LCD (TV) sound system, foxtel draws 30w. So potential 70w i can save. (just from two power points)

Whats the calculation to work out monthly saving?

70*1000 For kilowatts
    then *24*7*4
    then *0.165 for the electricty rate?

That works ou to be $7.75 saving per month if i dont turn the PC or TV on at all, so i can safly assume that figure will come down to $3.80 assumeing 12hours per day its off completly.

If i buy the Jaycar unit at $39 it will take me a year to recover $40

Are my calculations wrong?

Mr Chilled your graphs show about $15 per month saving with a $40 saving in Aug? HOw many devices are you switching off?

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you got the right answer, only its 70/1000 eg. 70 watts = 0.07 kW

13. thebranded

thebranded Member

cheers, yeah did the calculations then typed the wrong formula :rolleyes:

I guess unless i can find more devies to switch this may not be worth while for me.

14. pantner

pantner Member

i don't know about you guys, but Electricity is going up by ~30-40% here in WA over the next few months...

might not take as long to recover the costs as you think ;)

15. thebranded

thebranded Member

going up by 20% in NSW

so with the new rate its $9.30 a month saving (assumeing its off 24/7) so at 12 hours its $4.6 so it'll take me 8.5 months to recover the costs, before i start saving.

Right now i switch my PC off manually works out to be the best/easiest/cheapest. only save on the 40w but no initial out lay so its all savings.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With switch one about 10 devices (two pc's) and with switch two about five devices (plasma TV + stereo gear).

17. 4saken

4saken Member

Couldn't find these RC3's anywhere, so I emailed Arlec and got an amazingly quick reply to the effect of... "Unfortunately the RC3 is no longer available. Our product management team are however working on a new improved version of this product which should be available in approximately three months."

Boo!

Any of the other solutions I have seen are three times the price!!

18. thebranded

thebranded Member

19. OZeight

OZeight Member

Hope nobody minds me reviving this thread. I stumbled here by accident, being such a long thread I didn't read every post so I might sound like a bit of a dummy here but I assume people are using these devices to run powerboards off right? (Cheaper than buying an expensive board/remote!)

I'm keen to get on board as my HTPC set up is likely chewing up 50-70w idle juice going by what I've read above, since access to the powerboard is not possible I need to get myself one of these.

Click to view full size!

That Jaycar one for $40 looks the goods. I also saw further back some recommendations for the Jaycar powerboards. I really only need 6 sockets not 8 nor do I really care about RJ45/11/coax protection so I'm looking at the surge protection rating and wondering if anyone had thoughts on that. Their 6way offers 875 joules whilst their 8way offers 1550 joules. Reckon that 6way should be okay?

20. OZeight

OZeight Member

I guess this thread is dead but for any future readers sake, I today bought the JayCar RC3 (pictured in my previous post) and will try it out shortly. It supports 10A/2400W so it's enough for any powerboard. I also checked my Plasma (Panasonic Viera 50") and it uses between 46-55W whilst its OFF! :O So that and the other HTPC gear on the powerboard is actually costing me around $7.50/month or $22.50/quarter in waste. This Jaycar RC3 purchase therefor will pay itself off in around 6 months! Sooner when you consider I have 3 of them and 2 others will go elsewhere like my bedroom CRT TV etc.

Also slightly off topic I today bought a Mains Power Monitor called the Watts Clever from Jaycar for $199. These monitor the entire house's energy consumption in realtime and periods (yesterday, last week, last month, can even log years and includes a USB addon with free downloadable software to log the lot on PC! -- MR CHILLED might like this :) You can get them for $170 on eBay delivered but I thought $30 for peace of mind is good value. If something goes wrong I drive 10mins and return it. Plus the guy selling them on eBay doesn't communicate. If a seller is too lazy to take 2 minutes to answer a question he's not somebody I want to do business with.

Getting a sparky to put it in tomorrow, will post updates if anyone is interested otherwise I'm done here.