1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Saving device... Remote control 240v

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by BilboBoggles, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mareke

mareke Member

Okay so that means my calculation for the amount saved looks to have been right. If electricity is 18.84 cents per kWh in Queensland it's probably about the same here in NSW, rather than the 15 cent figure I used, so the saving would be greater than I calculated.

It means that at the 15 cents per kWh figure I used running an old style 100 watt incandescent light bulb 24 hours a day for a year would cost:

100 watts per hour = 1 kilowatt every 10 hours = 2.4 kilowatts every 24 hours = 2.4 x 15 cents = 36 cents a day = 13140 cents per year = $131.40 per year!

Wow that's for running just one 100 watt incandescent light bulb continuously for a year! I used to run three 100 watt incandescent light bulbs in every light fitting in most rooms in my house!

Running the light bulb for 12 hours a day would be $65.70 for a year so the $52 saving I calculated for saving 90 watts per hour for not having my plasma TV, VCR, DVD etc in standby an average 12 hours per day was about right.

It means that the Click unit I bought from Bunnings will pay for itself in less than a year and the Jaycar unit I use with my computer should pay for itself in about 18 months.

Mind you judging from the way they've worked so far Ill be lucky if both units last much longer than the 12 month warranty period and if they break soon after the warranty expires it will be a pointless exercise in terms of trying to save money. Money considerations aside I like the convenience of using the remote to switch on my printer, scanner and an external hard drive enclosure while sitting at my computer.

Now if I can just get one from Jaycar where the remote works from more than a few cm from the outlet! I'll take it back tomorrow and pick up a replacement.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Sorry I didn't mean to cause the confusion, I started a post, didn't finish my explaination and posted. TBH I didn't even check over your calcs. Again I apologise.

It was just a hint to look it up and perhaps help better your understanding of the terms. A watt is a rate of energy conversion. So you don't have a "kilowatt per hour" in this scenario, but instead a "kilowatt hour" (i.e. energy consumed at this rate, for an hour). It's worth reading about when you get some time.

3. OZeight

OZeight Member

Wow I'm sorry to hear about the troubles some of you have had with the Jaycar RC3 units. All 3 of mine work perfectly, you've made me wonder if I was just incredibly lucky or whether you guys are unlucky... Either way I'll be buying another unit sometime in the future so I'll find out then.

4. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

For this purpose, I use a Master/Slave powerboard.
    The PC is the only thing with power to it, but when it starts, everything else gets powered up too. Similar setup really.

5. mareke

mareke Member

In your case your computer would still consume power when off unless you cut power to the master sockets on your powerboard after you turn your computer off.

After I switch my computer off I then cut all power to it by flipping a switch on an upright powerboard I bought from Bunnings which I keep within arms reach in a nook under my computer desk. All of my computer devices (scanner, printer, modem, USB hub, speakers, mice, mouse charging unit, external hard drive case and several powerboards) are connected to this powerboard so turning the powerboard off (by flipping a single switch on it) is the equivalent of turning off power to all devices at the power point. This saves around 50 watts to 60 watts per hour when the computer is off.

Also the Jaycar unit allows me to turn on an individual device that I want to use like my printer, scanner and external hard drive case and then switch it off with the remote after I've finished using the device. To do this you would need to reach around to the switch on the device unless you have a remote that allows you to individually control each slave socket.

This morning I found that my Jaycar remote is still behaving inconsistently. It looks like after not using it for some time the distance it works to increases to around a metre but after one or two uses it goes back to my needing to place the remote a couple of cm from the outlet for it to work. I doubt that this is caused by a weak battery. It appears to be some sort of fault either in the design of the unit or shoddiness in the manufacturing process.

Both the Click unit I bought from Bunnings and the Jaycar unit are probably designed by the same people and made by the same manufacturer. At Jaycar the equivalent of my Click unit is called Powermate instead of Click, the same name as on the Jaycar RC3 unit. The same people probably designed both units with the same tendency for the remotes to behave erratically. Once the warranty return rate becomes unacceptably high the company will be have to improve the design or improve the quality of the manufacturing process or go out of business.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  6. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

Or, if they follow the same business processes as alot of other chinese electronic companies, they change the name, and bring the product out again with the same design. same problem different name. shits me to tears :upset:

7. pantner

pantner Member

sounds like battery to me...ever had a set of flat batteries in a torch?

turn it on and the light starts bright and starts to dim. turn it off for 30 secs and back on and you get a very short burst of light, leave it for 30mins and you get longer.

easy way to check, change the battery and see if it improves it. If it doesn't, take it back and exchange it for another one

8. OZeight

OZeight Member

I tend to agree with you, might be the battery. The only problem is these remotes use a funny sized battery (i've never actually seen one before) so I'm not sure where you'd buy a replacement other than from eBay which will take a few days at best. Best option is to take it back, or maybe take a switch too and test it out in the Jaycar store (assuming it won't mess with other equipment hehe) and repeat with a new remote.

For whatever reason I've not had any of those dramas, it could just be down to battery life. I only use mine a 4-5 times a day max though so assuming battery was full of life when I bought it I'd expect it to last for awhile.

9. mareke

mareke Member

It uses a tiny 27A battery used in remotes for car alarms etc. They are available from places like Tandy for around $3.95.

I just came back from buying a new battery and it made no difference but it was worth a try.

I also went to Jaycar & asked if they'd had many returns of the unit and the guy I spoke to indicated they hadn't but I got the impression he really didn't know or maybe he thought it was better not to admit there had been returns. When I picked one off the shelf to show him the model I was referring to it looked to be a return with the plastic bubble pack having been cut open and stapled back together presumably after someone had taken it back because they weren't happy with it. They may try to give me this one but if they do I'll insist on testing it in the shop.

The problem isn't the battery it's either in the design or shoddy manufacturing and poor quality control with poorly put together units slipping through. My Click unit which would be made by the same company as the Jaycar one has a similar problem with the remote only not as bad so the cause of the problem appears to be in the design or poor quality control by the manufacturer.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  10. jesh

jesh Member

I was at a sustainability expo the other weekend and they had these FutureSwitch things - similar to what's been listed already, but they can all be programmed to work on the same switch if you want. I like the idea of being able to put a master switch by the front door, for example, and just switching all the standby stuff off in one fell swoop.

Haven't got a set yet but tempted, they look like good quality. Bit hesitant after hearing of people having to stuff around with the Bunnings & Jaycar ones.

11. One&Only

One&Only Member

Well I went back for a full refund today. 2 of 3 were faulty at first. Had the 2 replaced and the 3rd one that was working beautifully. Of the 2 replaced one of those were faulty straight away.

The 3rd one that I had from the initial purchase was working all day, testing intermittently then I went to switch it off last night before bed and sure enough just like the other 2 the light went out but power was still running through the unit.

That was enough for me, the chances of having 4 faulty units out of 5 was maybe just pure bad luck or a bad batch. I'll keep an eye out for the arlec brand bunnings had a few months back. In the meantime its back to reaching down the back of the tv to switch it off at the wall.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've had similar issues with mine. It sometimes also takes me heaps of presses of the remote to get it to switch off.

13. mareke

mareke Member

I returned my Jaycar unit today for a refund. There was no way I was going to try a replacement unit after my experience & what I’d read on the forum. I might wait for the new improved Arlec unit to come out. Arlec has been around for a long time so it’s likely to make sure the improved version works properly before letting it out on the market.

In the meantime my Click powerboard from Bunnings continues to work reasonably well in that most of the time I can switch my Panasonic plasma and other entertainment devices on or off while sitting on my lounge about 3 to 4 metres from the Click powerboard but occasionally I have to move the remote to about 2 metres before it works. It’s supposed to work within 50 metres and it certainly doesn’t do that. My Click unit is marketed by Mistral which is a reputable company and I've sent Mistral an email suggesting they improve the design and reliability of the unit. The email will probably go straight into the Recycle Bin but you never know someone might pass it on to the designers. I pointed out that there is a potential lucrative market for a reliable unit of this type.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  14. OZeight

OZeight Member

Not much use to you now probably but I noticed Aldi are selling these next week for 99c! Personally I'm going to buy 2 or 3, handy to have a replacement battery on hand and that seems like a good price according to what you said above.

15. mareke

mareke Member

I've already wasted $3.95 on a Dick Smith 27A because the Click unit that I still have uses a larger 23A battery rather than the 27A in the Jaycar unit. The Aldi battery would be a generic brand rather than a well known quality brand like Eveready or Energiser. When the remote for my Click unit started becoming inconsistent I bought another battery and found generic ones selling cheap in bargain shops but I opted for an Energiser even though it was a fair bit dearer. Buying 2 or 3 spares means you think the unit will last a while! Good luck with that!

16. OZeight

OZeight Member

Well one of my switches stopped working today. 2 work fine, the other one will switch ON/OFF but whatever is plugged into it continues to work anyway. Funnily enough the remote has always been perfect (working through 2 plaster walls)

Not sure what happens now, I can take it back to Jaycar but after hearing stories here I would rather keep my remote and 2 switches I already have and just get a replacement for the 3rd. Not sure if that's possible though... What do you think?

17. mareke

mareke Member

Jaycar may have a unit that was returned and they might be willing to let you have a switch from it that you could test there. On the other hand they may have to return faulty units intact back to the place they got them from unless Jaycar foots the cost of failed units. You could always ask and if they only give you the option of a refund or replacement then you could keep what you have but if one has stopped working how long are the rest going to work?

It’s just more evidence of a faulty design and the likelihood of more failures to come. My switches worked perfectly if I held the remote right next to them but was the remote the problem or the switches? In the end it didn’t matter as it was clear from mine and others' experiences that the design was flawed and it wasn’t worth persevering with.

I’m waiting until a reputable firm like Arlec bring one out and in the meantime my Click unit from Bunnings works well enough with my plasma TV etc to be acceptable and I’ve set up my computer peripherals hooked up to a powerboard with individual on/off switches for each socket so I can turn any device on or off by reaching down and flipping the switch on the powerboard-at least this is 100% reliable!

I’d take it back for a refund. Another possibility I suppose is to buy another one and use it for a while to see if it’s okay and take back the faulty ones together as one unit provided they can’t be individually identified. I wouldn’t though as I don’t think it’s worth persevering with.

18. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

errrm ...
    I've seen Arlec badge some real crap.

19. mareke

mareke Member

At least Arlec has been around for many years and if they produced many bad products this wouldn't be the case. I'd never heard of Powermate until I bought the Jaycar unit and if Powermate keep producing rubbish like the Jaycar RC3 they won't be around for much longer.

20. OZeight

OZeight Member

Got a replacement RC3 from Jaycar. Thus far it's working as perfectly as my first one was. Range certainly has never been a problem for me. Fingers crossed it survives for awhile :)