power supplie

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gaddo, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Gaddo

Gaddo Member

hey guys,

I have 2 questions

1. I'm building a new pc it will have the following
    i7 3930k gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 16gb ram I'm planning on water cooling the cpu for the moment
    but when I can afford it I want to upgrade my gtx560Ti x2 and water cool them it will have a blue ray drive and most likely 4 ssd in raid 0 and 2 x 1tb storage
    WHAT size power supplie can I get away with ??

2. my current system has a 17 920 @4ghz water cooled
    8gb ram gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R
    2x gtx560 ti in sli
    6 ssd 120g in raid 0
    1 x 1tb for storage
    now ATM it won't shut down you hit shut down and it goes through the process monitors turn of screens go black but the lights and the fans on the case keep running you have to hold the power button in for 5 secs to turn it off.
    power supplie is a antec truepower 850w
    WHAT could be the problem here and how do I check

thanks in advance much appreciated
    Gaddo

2. Brianf1971

Brianf1971 Member

Difficult to say what PSU you would need without knowing what GPU config you intend in the future, the best way is using a PSU calculator and play with config until you get a rough Idea of Max/Min.

There are heaps but I like this one as it includes WC and OC http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Edit : As for the PSU problem have you tried changing your power management profile as I doubt this is a hardware issue, more likely a software ACPI setting, you may also want to check if there is a BIOS update as well.

Brian

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    Gaddo

Gaddo Member

thanks Brian when you say Change power managment profile what do you mean?? in the control panel or in the bios??