PowerHack G5 - A G5 Casemod Hackintosh Build

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by jji7skyline, May 19, 2015.

1. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

jji7skyline's PowerHack G5 Casemod Build

[​IMG]

Partlist
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $469.00)
    CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B Fanless CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $140.00)
    Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For $15.00)
    Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For $15.00)
    Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $128.00)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $75.00)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $95.00)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
    Monitor: Dell E2214H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (Purchased For $45.00)
    Monitor: Dell E2214H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (Purchased For $45.00)
    Total: $1027.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-19 11:07 AEST+1000

Buildlog
    So each part in this build kinda has a story. I started off around a year ago when I spotted a fully working PowerMac G5 on eBay selling at a nearby town (1 hour drive) from where I lived for just $50. I had been researching this kind of case mod for a while and wanted a fully working build so that I could reuse fans, hdd cages, etc. It even came with a 1TB HDD which is still being happily used in my brother's computer down to this day. I picked up the computer, played around in Mac OSX 10.5.8 for a while, but for the next few months it just sat under my desk looking pretty. For the Apple geeks among you, here are the specs of the PowerMac G5 I used:

Next thing acquired was the GTX560, for $40 second hand. Originally bought for my brother's computer, this part is borrowed from my brothe to drive my dual monitors until I can afford a card of my own. Runs Skyrim on Ultra 1080p, quite a beast card considering how old it is. Fully compatible with Chimera/Chameleon hackintoshing with 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes' bootflag. Also runs on Clover bootloader with the NVIDIA config.plist.
    Third thing bought was the motherboard. A super low-margin PC parts shop nearby was doing a 10% sale on Gigabyte motherboards. Very rare! Picked one up really quick, Z97M-D3H model. Bought for overclocking features, hackintosh compatibility, and mATX size which would make it easier to mod my case.
    This brought on the phase of me stripping out all the parts inside the G5, which until then, was fully functional. It took a while, but I like to think I did it properly. Some important things I did include:

• Saving all screws and standoffs to reuse (later reused the original screws and standoffs to mount motherboard by gluing them back on to the inside).
    • Rewired all the fans. Being a low end model this PowerMac G5 only had the dual exhaust fans and no dual intake fans. I rewired them to run on 5V with a molex connection. Relatively quiet and a moves a LOT of air. The fans are 92mm so I may place them with quieter Noctuas in future, but probably not in the near future.
    • Took out the power supply and tried to retrofit the guts of another one in. This resulted in blowing a fuse at our house, probably because of a short :p Ended up just dumping in a new ATX PSU which you can probably see in the pics.
    • Took out the HDD cage from its corner at the top right of the case and reglued it on the middle left. Actually had to redo it so that the clear plastic air deflector would fit. Had to modify the hdd cage by unscrewing the top metal part and reattaching it with new holes so that the back of the cage was flat and good for gluing.

The next step was working out the motherboard mounting. I used the original long standoffs to do this and it worked out pretty well. I used JB-weld (super expensive!) to glue on the standoffs, and they seem to be holding well even with the huge 790g heatsink on it.
    I figured out what would go where. I would make a hole for the rear IO ports. The SSD would sit on the top shelf next to the DVD drive. The hard drives would sit in the HDD cage. The power supply would chill at the bottom of the case, and that's basically it. Nothing special. Oh and I spent a few hours trying to make the front IO cable. Failed at the audio and usb headers, but at least the power switch and LED work :p
    Then I was able to snag 16GB of DDR3-1333mhz RAM for just $30! It's not the fastest RAM in the world, but at this price I'm not complaining :p
    Final part was a big rush of buying parts as I couldn't wait to get this up and running. Bought the following parts to finish the build:

• i7-4790K
    • 240GB OCZ Arc 100 SSD
    • Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU (non modular)

Also bought the two Dell 1080p monitors for $90 second hand. Pretty good deal!
    I was then able to get OSX up and running on my SSD. Just a note to anyone who is going to install OSX on this motherboard, Unibeast method will NOT work. You will get random freezes. If you do some research you will find that I am not the only person reporting this on this board. Instead, use the Clover method. Just google 'Yosemite Clover Guide' and the first link should be a TonyMacx86 link. I followed that guide pretty much word for word, adding the RealtekE1xxx kext or whatever it's called, patching my audio, enabling TRIM, and using the NVIDIA graphics config.plist. If you have any more hackintosh related questions feel free to PM me and I will help you as best as I can. I will probably also post more details about my hackintosh method on a separate post in the /r/hackintosh[21] subreddit. Oh and the wifi just needed a kext to be installed.
    Unfortunately, the old (so old it has a molex power connection as well as a sata power connection) WD 320GB HDD I was planning to use as my Windows gaming drive failed. So a few days later I bought another heap of parts:

• 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD
    • 3x Cougar 120mm White LED 1200RPM 3-pin fans
    • 1x DVI cable (I was running one monitor on VGA and didn't like the quality).

Then finished off my build and of course, I installed my Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler. The fans are running on 'silent mode' in push/pull configuration on the heatsink. The heatsink is actually quite dense so this is the best way to take advantage of it without getting 1800rpm fans which is what is recommended by Prolimatech.
    This CPU cooler gives me 28C idle temperature at 24C ambient, and around 63C load temperatures at 4.5Ghz 1.2Vcore. I'm only running a mild overclock because stability is my number one concern. I may overclock more in future when I have more time to tweak things and such, but I am currently more than happy with the performance of my i7, a huge improvement over the i5-2400S in my previous computer.
    The third fan is zip-tied (until I can figure out a smarter mounting system) to the front grille and sucks in cold air from the front of the case. The two recycled 92mm fans exhaust air out the back. All in all quite an efficient system, and how the G5 case was originally designed to operate.
    I don't think there's much more to say, if you have any questions feel free to ask me. Here are some bonus pictures that I took during the modding process of the case. Sorry my photos are potato quality, haven't had time to take the proper glamour shots using my proper camera :p
    PS. The fans look blue in the pics but I assure you, they are white!!

More Pics
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    Side panel off:
    [​IMG]
    Side view:
    [​IMG]
    Inside:
    [​IMG]
    Setup:
    [​IMG]

Right now just waiting for the R9 300 series graphics cards to buy a new graphics card.

2. Jazper

Jazper Member

Looks sweet!

Not sure the 390x series will have drivers for MacOSX though... :)

3. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

There has been speculation that Apple will release the new Mac Pro with R9 300 series graphics cards (rebranded of course) very close to the R9 300 release date. I'm hoping those rumours are true as that would mean that OSX will include support for the new architecture.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2431060

4. Jazper

Jazper Member

Here's hoping - sweet mods regardless

5. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Thanks mate :)

6. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Just installed a GTX 660.

Originally was going to buy for $25 but the gumtree seller let me have it for free. Thanks!

MSI Twin Frozr cooler had one fan broken, card was crashing in games.

Repasted, dusted and replaced fan with a standard 80mm PC fan I had lying around (zip tied on!). Runs a whole lot cooler but seems like the damage has already been done, the card still crashes quite a bit (a bit less than before), and I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace this card too.

Oh well :p

7. aokman

aokman Member

Nice g5 mod :) I miss my old one hahah.

Basically any new NVIDIA card is supported by OS X, I just put in a 980ti and it works great with their web drivers.

8. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Thanks! Yeah if I could afford one I'd get a GTX 980 :p

9. aokman

aokman Member

haha doesn't have to be a 980 just pointing out most cards work, 780 is fine aswell, great card.

BTW I also had the random freezing issues, I'm in the process of ditching my Z97X-UD5H, sick of Gigabyte.

10. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Do you have pictures of your mod? I always enjoy seeing how people choose to work around the many quirks of this case.

Yeah, I'm actually waiting for 780s to go down in price second hand.

11. aokman

aokman Member

12. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Wow this topic is featured on the OCAU front page!

Anyway I guess it's as good a reason as any for some updates.

- Upgraded to ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX670, bought second hand for 100AUD posted. Supremely powerful, I don't see myself needing anything better for several years to come, runs Fallout 4 at high settings with the FPS at 60fps at least 95% of the time. Bonus points it works completely 'out-of-box' with hackintosh.

- One of the sticks on my 4x4GB DDR3 RAM I bought for $30 (great deal from gumtree) has gone bad, causing crashes during Fallout 4. I have the label printed out to send back to Corsair who have lifetime warranty, just not sure if it will be worth sending it in a padded package all the way to Hong Kong since I technically paid less than $10 for it.

- Replaced rear 92mm fans with PC style ones which run quieter with a 7V low speed adapter than the original fans. Ideally I'd want to get Noctua's Redux fans but they are not quite in the budget right now since I'm focusing more on my car at the moment.

Externally though, it still looks the same. The only thing I've been really putting off is upgrading to OSX 10.11, since I've heard that there have been issues with hackintoshing that on some motherboards.

13. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

It is always worth the trouble to do so. I know that from having done it all the hard way.

14. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Just sent it off. Cost me $5 shipping :p

15. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

16. OP
    OP
    jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

I saw that post and thought it only related to the Apple forum, which is understandable because they would not want it to be flooded with Hackintosh support topics. Now that I read it again, it does sound like it is not allowed on all of the forum.

If we assume that this is because most Hackintoshes violate the EULA that you agree to when installing OSX which mentions that the software can only be installed on Apple-branded computers, I don't think I have violated that agreement in this case.

What I have done in this project is bought a 2005 model Mac and upgraded it with modern components that are compatible with the operating system. For all intents and purposes, this is an 'Apple-branded' computer, just modified a bit. After all, it would be a shame to throw away a $3000 computer just because it can't run the latest OSX.