Pr3dator8's wc lian li pc351 build log.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Pr3dator8, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Hey all!
    Ever since i finished my red raven case (link in sig) i have been wanting to do a new build! im not replacing my raven just building a second pc. Im going to be attempting to watercool the Lian Li PC-V351.

The red raven was my first watercooling attempt and after the results i got i cant see myself going back to air cooling. I am probably throwing myself in the deep end here trying to watercool a Micro atx case, but i find if something is more challenging, then in the end (assuming i can do it lol) its alot more rewarding.

Unlike my raven build log this one is actually going to be updated as i go. so i apologise if this takes a while to complete (im hoping it shouldnt). At the moment the only thing i have is the case coz i wanted to do some measurements to make sure my idea will actually work. pics to come....

2. Copie

Copie Member

Its tight, but its certainly possible, if you looked at mounting the radiator/s ontop of the case with one of those swiftech combined pump/rad kits, its more then possible.

Doing the GPU as well without loosing the two HDD slots would be almost impossible though.

3. -Cypher-

-Cypher- (Banned or Deleted)

You could do an internal loop depending on what sort of hardware you wanted to run, a 1366 steup is going to need a lot more rad area than a H55 Dual core with a lower power card (5770 etc).

It would be awesome if you could mount an MCR Drive onto those fans, but I've got a feeling there may be clearance issues at one of the ends.

4. Copie

Copie Member

You would need to run an ultra short graphics card (ie a GTX260 i was using in mine had about 5mm clearance between the fan and it) and the gap between the fans and the front of the case is around an inch or so.

Also the fans arent side by side, there is a gap between them.

5. Copie

Copie Member

6. Jimmy37

Jimmy37 Member

mmm those chips look mighty fine

7. Copie

Copie Member

That they were, about 2 weeks ago when i took the pic.

8. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Oh i plan on keeping this all internal. sorry i forgot to mention that. also ill be using my old gear out of my sig...sept on a mirco motherboard. (havent really found a decent one that supports my gear yet) i was looking at THIS tho i would have to change to ddr3 which isnt too big an issue.

@-Cypher- originally i was planning on trying to mount an MCR dual rad behind the twin fans. but when i got the case i realised it wouldnt fit as there is no where for the barbs to poke around. So i have come up with an idea that seems as tho it will work. it involves a bit of cutting of the in side of the case but that just makes it more fun lol :D.

Im working on some mock ups i will post with my other pics for u guys :)

9. Copie

Copie Member

You could maybe mount the rad where the 5.25 inch drive bays are, but you might run into cabling issues (ie getting power to the GPU)

10. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

ok got some pics 2gether :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Removed the side pannels.
    [​IMG]
    Woo removeable mobo tray! first time i have had one of those!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Had to drill out a whole lot of rivets to get this baby off.

Now for my Moch ups. Please dont judge me for my poor use of paint lol. just a quicky to give u guys an idea on my plans.

Black= 120mm Rad's
    Blue= Fittings
    White= Pump
    Red= Tubing (left over from my raven)
    Yellow= Bay Res
    Grey= CPU block (same as sig)

[​IMG]
    View looking down on top of the dvd drive bays. Btw the tubing that isnt coloured in goes to the res.
    [​IMG]
    Side on View

mochups are pretty bad so im expecting alot of questions lol. As i mentioned this will involve some cutting of the case (in the above pic u can see ill have to cut the lower left hand side of the dvd drive bay) its kinda cool coz ill be making my own lil aqua bay type thing in my 5.25 drive space.

Before you guys let me know what u think ill just say this. First i like the look of the drive bay res's so thats kinda something i need to keep in my plans. and also the red needs to fit where i have placed them in my moch ups other wise i wouldnt have the clearance for my graphics card. Also remember as i mentioned before a dual rad would not fit length wise in that area AND i want to keep this all internal. :p sorry just things you should know before you leave me feed bad :D

11. -Cypher-

Take a look at this-

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2008/lian-li/tremeloes/lian-li-pc-v350b.htm

Scroll down the page, there is what looks like a Magicool 240 mounted there. You'd have to mod the Fan bracket, but by the looks it would fit (just), but the MCR may be too thick for 10"+ GPUs.

12. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

wow that pump looks insane! and same with the rest of the build!
    Hmmmm so might be able to fit the dual rad if i modify the fan bracket.....i dunno if im wrong but by my measurements, the length of the fan bracket is 275mm, and according the to swiftech site the mcr220 is 284mm. i dont think it will fit. i dont think there is an extra 10mm with the rest of the case back together.....it would make life so much easier if it did tho.

13. -Cypher-

Yeah, wasn't sure if the MCR220 would fit. The XSPC RS240 is 270mm according to this review-

http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com/XSPC-RS240-Radiator-Review.html

Black Ice Stealth is 277-

http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=23

I think the one in that build is the Magicool Pro, 273.5mm-

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&manufacturers_id=145&products_id=21113

Personally I'd look at different radiators that may fit before cutting holes in that nice Aluminium.

BTW, that pump is unnecessary these days, an DDC is the choice for SFF.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

sweet thanks heaps for that cypher! On the XSPC SITE it says its 277mm which is really pushing. i might be able to get it to fit but would struggle. so i think the magicool seems to be the way to go. and its 30mm thick to so that gives me a bit more room. if i can get one i might swap the fans over to the back side of the bracket and put the rad at the front, that way i wouldn't have to cut bracket....i think :S

15. wookiie

wookiie Member

TryHere
    specs on a 240 are H 270mm mm, W 120 mm D 35 mm

16. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

thinking of ordering a Magicool Pro 2x120 rad (thank you cypher for showing me this!). And some A.C. Ryan AluPanel 1mm 500x500mm Brushed Anodized in Silver. my plan is im going to take out the original fan bracket and make my own to suit the raidiator. Like what they have done HERE (again thank you cypher for bringing this to my attention :D) but ill be mounting the fans on the back side of the bracket, to maximise the room i have for my vid card. There is about a 20mm gap in between where each fan mounts so this wouldnt work with the rad, if i did manage to mount the fans they would not line up properly with the rad. hope that makes sense :S any thoughts before i order it?

17. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

oooo thanks wookie! that will save me from ordering over seas. anyone know where i can get A.C. Ryan AluPanel 1mm 500x500mm Brushed Anodized in Silver in aus?

18. -Cypher-

Making that rad bracket is going to be an feat in engineering, you'd want to measure it one thousand times before cutting anything. I wonder if one of these would be a good place to start?-

http://www.gammods.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=1673

Scythe Slipstream slim fans are only 12mm, that may save you some clearance somewhere but they aren't the best for pressure, Yate loon also do 20mm thick fans, Gam may be able to get them for you.

19. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

lol well i was kinda confident i could do it :p. i have all the tools etc at my workshop (im a mechanic). but ye it would have been hard. i think ill go with that bracket. see what i can do. if not then ill order the aluminium sheet and give it a go. thanks heaps man you guys have been so helpful! i love it here lol

20. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Ordered THIS (cypher rox) but for some reason the site that wookie linked for that rad is now down :S so i cant order that yet :(

Edit: Yay! that site is back up so i ordered the rad as well...should have both items by the weekend :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010