1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre Purchase Help: 42" Pana PX7A & HDMI (1m) Cable ($120 for a cable? wtf?)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Tigger, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Tigger

Tigger Member

I'm getting close to buying. I've been quoted $1700 flat for the Panasonic 42" PX7A (1 HDMI (enough for me)).

How is that for a price? (I've gotten it down from the 1930ish on the good guys and I get the feeling thats about as low as I'll get it (note my 1700 price was from hardly normal)). Note: One good guys told me the tv costs them 1653inc and wouldnt match my make believe price of 1650inc.

But whats with $120 for 1 1m HDMI cable? I'm told its a good one but really.... why cant it wash my dishers?

Like I said I'm almost ready to buy I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

Cheers.

Tigger

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  2. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

With that TV, there is going to be no difference between any HDMI cable that works. It's not like the wankers can claim that at 1m you're going to get signal degridation.

3. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Also how much warranty should I look at getting with this TV? one guy I work with said "every plasma I know of has failed after a year"....

Note: It has a standard 1yr warranty.

4. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Since you're getting the chinese made version (7A not 70A) I'd go for 3 years total.

5. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Ok.

"Package Deal"
    Panasonic 42" Plasma (PX7A)
    4 Year Extended Harvey Norman Warranty (I'm told covers the same as manufacturer & makes it a total of 5 years that I would be covered for warranty)
    1m HDMI (top of the line etc) Cable
    $2050

(4yr HN extention warranty was 239 & I guess that makes the cable 90ish)

Thoughts? It's now $50 over my planned budget (not too big a deal) but 5 years "peace of mind" and a cable to connect it to my PVR.

6. Falkor

Falkor Member

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and I love it. I'd say get it :)

7. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

hdmi is a digital signal, meaning u get it or u dont. ur not going to lose quality by getting a $20 cable any more then u would with a $120 cable.

u can get a 5m/10m hdmi to hdmi cable at msy for $15/$25 dont pay for the cable and go get a cheaper one. that will bring it under budget.

8. nico6

nico6 Member

If he gives you anymore BS about cables, get him to run it up with the cheapest and most expensive 1.5m HDMI cable in the shop and see if there is a difference (there won't be).

If he won't do it, or if they only sell expensive cables, that's your answer - buy your cables elsewhere

9. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

So you're paying $350 for a HDMI cable and extended warranty??
    They are ripping you off dude..

Recently bought a 32" and got $600 off the sticker price (new released model!)

Walked into a few places, got a rough idea of what they were selling for, BingLee had it cheapest by far ($500 off) so I walked into Good guys and asked if they could beat it and got $100 off that!

I think they are more inclined to give you a good price if you just walk in and go bang - do me the deal and i'll be out of your hair. $50 margin or whatever they make in 5minutes rather than standing around talking for an hour.

10. IceT(error)

IceT(error) Member

Go get a good HDMI cable from Jaycar - here

$40inc for 1.5m, gold plugs. etc...

11. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

You dont need gold plugs on a cable that sends a digital stream. Total placebo.

12. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

I'm confortable with the Price on the TV. the 239 for the warranty (4yrs ontop of manufacturer so 5 years total) seems ok.

I guess I buy the cable elsewhere for less than 50 bucks and I'm coming out under 2k.

That seems ok to me. How am I being riped off if I do that?

13. lavi

lavi Member

i have the same tv with a $24 cable, works fine no diff then a friends $300 cable and mega dollar dvd playre (i got the yamaha)

14. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

Where do you live? If you're close to the southland store, and can pop down this weekend (it's my last weekend in HN) I'll give you a better price. Buy the cable elsewhere.

One thing i would reccomend purchasing instead of the cable howeever, is a power conditioner board. This has been reccomended around the forums.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  15. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

I'm only hooking this TV upto my PVR.... What is a power conditioner board going to help me with in this respect? Or are you recommending that I hook the TV up to some kind of UPS?

16. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Ok Picking it up tomorrow. Unfortunately I couldnt make it over to you ToSs :(

2k with 5yrs warranty & a 'decent' HDMI cable.

I'll try to assemble the new TV Stand tonight so we have somewhere to put it! :)

17. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

I now have it all hooked up and running at home.

Stoked. PQ is fantastic. Functionality & Menu's are nice and clean. Works very nicely with the inputs & my PVR (phillips) works a treat too.

Cheers for all yoru help and advice :)

18. broox

broox Member

you could be the reason i hate customers/people :p

glad u like the pq & screen tho :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  19. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

lol. You dont want to deal with me in corporate then.....

O... I saw an education HN catalogue this week. Listing the Plasma I just bought for a higher price.

20. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Don't get the cable, get $120 off the price ;) I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and I get all my HDMI cables from a place in the US. Costs about $8 (total) to have one shipped over here, and it's just like any other HDMI cable. Works fine. You can even get a gold plated one if you like, not that it actually makes a difference, but some people prefer to think it does :)

I've forgotten the name of the place, but I can have a dig around if you want (haven't read the rest of this thread yet so it might already be too late) :D EDIT: Yep, it is :D

People who spend hundreds on cables are retarded, imo. (I know you don't want to pay this much, I'm just speaking in general :D The Monster cable people must piss their pants laughing whenever someone buys one of their products).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007