Precision 3D Printer Build - Worklog

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aokman, May 28, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yeah I am looking at mist coolant also, the base has side trays and drain for coolant to a sump. How effective it will be is another story. The shop is already getting sprayed with chips from the face mill :lol:

I think I can get a rough feed speed using the DRO but I think I have it pretty dialled in now just using chip size and surface finish as an indicator.

2. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

A frustrating week with a few failed cuts due to parallels being out of spec. Never assume something is accurate!

I have spent most of the time trying to find an optimal tool path for machining bed components. Unfortunately the X axis dimensions exceed my table capacity so I had to come up with a way around it. Turns out the best solution was to offset the work piece in the vices, torque to 10ft/lb. Complete one face milling operation then slide the work piece over and finish the rest. Other attempts were to rotate work piece which just introduced too many possibilities for error in tolerances.

Very happy with this first piece outcome though with a 20% step over in the centre and perfect blending of each pass :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]