Premade cowboy shots banned?

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by sormuijai, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

I went into quite a few liquor stores (in the country mind you) to look for those premade cowboy shots that come in a plastic shotglass with the dividers. I couldn't find them in any shops, and when I asked, they said that the whole line has been banned throughout Australia. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this?

2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Havent heard of anything but surely a bottle of schnapps and a bottle of kilkenny cream represents better value anyways?

3. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

I still sell them at my work... last lot we got was probably a month ago and I haven't heard anything about a ban but you never know. There have been an awful lot of premixes going off the market in recent times (that or lowering their alcohol content).. no bans tho (that i've heard of)

4. Bionic

Bionic Member

Used to get these a few years ago. ive kept a fair few of the shot glasses

5. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me anymore. We'll be banning coloured underpants shortly at this rate.

6. yoda123

yoda123 Member

I tried to buy some about a month back in Airlie Beach, I didn't care what sort they were I just wanted some premade shots and there was none to be had.

7. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

They're not great value, but they're convenient to keep in your bag! haha Yes I know, I'm an alcoholic. But its tradition that whenever I am on holidays with my friends, that we carry shots of these around! Lets hope there is no ban, just a shortage. But if I do see them, I'll stock up.

8. Frazzman

Frazzman Member

Their alcohol content isn't huge anyway, cant see why they would have been banned, underage binge drinkers really wouldnt have the cash to buy enough of them to do any serious damage to themselves.

9. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

The explaination I got from the guy was "they're shooters", hence why they've been banned "Australia wide". :confused:

10. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Bingo You drink at home before you go out if you catch a bad cabby no drinking in the cab bring six of these 3 each a good top up before heading inside to pay $9 for a pint....

11. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Yeah they aren't much good for more than a top up. Honestly what will 'they' ban next... :Paranoid:

12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

my mate once got a goon bag full of cowboys (like store bought, not just filled a goon bag with cowboy)

not sure where they got it from, but it was wicked

13. fruxo

fruxo Member

That can't be right, they are about 15%, it's like doing tiny shots of wine :p

It would be completely insane if they were banned, but it wouldn't really surprise me anymore.

They've got them at first choice across the road from where we live, so probably try that chain if you want some ;) 2.5 litres for $25ish or something, or a 750ml bottle of the same stuff for like $10.

14. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

I saw them when I was buying whiskey for my father's birthday this weekend just been.

15. Captain-Nasty

Captain-Nasty Member

Yeah some chick at a party I was at brought one of them! If anything will liven up a party its goon bag cowboys lol :thumbup:

16. nelso

nelso Member

BWS and dan murphy's have deleted them. im assuming because they're targeted at binge drinkers. you can still find them at first choice, and heaps of other smaller bottlo's

17. lench

lench Member

better off mixing your own damn ones. never liked the taste of the pre-mixed ones but the shot glasses might come in handy

18. pvtgonzo

pvtgonzo Member

Considering Dan Murphys and BWS are owned by Woolworths they probably just werent making a huge profit on them. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. nelso

nelso Member

the GP on those shots is around 40%

20. Kiljaeden

Kiljaeden Member

Coles Liquorland still has them. $12 for 4. Not worth it IMO. Better off buying bottle of Schnapps and Baileys. Get about 50 shots out of that for about $40.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008