Prepaid Sales to Require ID as of July 1st

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Aratama_Bashi, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

hey all

just realised there has been no mention of this (that i have seen) so i thought i would put it out in the public domain in the interests of FYIing and also to ensure that every sentence that i create is needlessly long and devoid of any punctuation whatsoever.

SO, basically, as of 1st july, you will now need to provide sufficient identity when purchasing prepaid services.

By law, if you do not have sufficient ID, you cannot purchase a prepaid service.

this does not mean that minors are unable to purchase prepaids, because they can still have enough ID.

what is acceptable ID?
    that's a can of worms, so i am not glad you asked. fuck. now i have to answer this.

1. purchasing less than five (ie. 1 to 4) prepaid services:
    - if you are paying by credit or debit card, then you do not need to provide any more id. that card is sufficient.
    - if you are paying by cash, you will need to provide either one category A, or two category B IDs - see far far below for types of IDs

2. purchasing 5 or more prepaid services:
    - you are required to provide either one category A, or two category B IDs, regardless of how you pay.

what are cat a & b IDs?
    category a IDs include such important documents like:
    - drivers licence
    - learner's permit
    - birth certificate / card
    - stonecutter's secret handshake
    - etc etc

category b IDs include things like
    - atm/credit card
    - bank statement
    - rates notice
    - hawaiian driver's licence under the name "McLovin"
    - you get the picture...

so anyway, that's my story.

cheers :)

2. msconfig

msconfig Member

I thought you always required ID when purchasing a phone on prepaid? Heck i had to let them take my details down for a $2 vodafone simcard. I remember about 4-5 years back i needed ID to purchase a 3315 on prepaid

3. Digitone

Digitone Member

You have always been sort of supposed to , but most stores couldn't be fucked, as really its a bit of a waste of time as the call center gets all there details anyway. I think you'll find most stores still won't bother after july 1st anyway, as really its just fucking dumb. Also if you were to come in and buy a phone on credit card or debit card I'd still have to fucking way to track back who bought it so really whats the point?.

4. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

back in the day, yes. now, no. the details that you give for a prepaid now are not sent to the government; they are just kept by the telco for account purposes. what is happening now is that the government will be collecting this information. previously, you could just BS this info because you didnt have to substantiate anything (example, with 3's prepaid, you activate online, and can give a fake medicare number as id because it isnt actually checked).

the whole process is just becoming super-official because the government will be collecting that info now.

5. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Um... right. Thought what you are describing had been the case for years. Our sales system won't let us sell a phone number without name, address, and ID number.

6. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

heheh... i'd love to watch a store not take down any details. apparently there will be audits and government mystery shops to check everything is being done.
    fine to be imposed is $10,000,000, plus $1,000,000 per day for each day of non-compliance.

as i said, the details are heading off to uncle kev now.

7. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Wow, this is so 1997.

I don't know if I've been unlucky or what not, but in the 10 years or so, I've purchased around 3 prepaid cards before, all of which, I have been required to provide ID at the point of sale.

8. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

Same here. It caused problems when I bought my mum a pre-paid phone and she tried to get it unlocked a few years later.

9. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Since when??? I'd have bought about four or five prepaid phones over the years. I've NEVER been asked for ID.

10. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

i'm well aware of the ACMA-related 1997 legislation, but what is happening now is that the gov is getting _very_ tight about it, which explains why sentinel bought 4 or 5 prepaids without getting asked for id, while others like you have.

july the 1st simply marks the start date for when failure to record those details could result in substantial fines for those responsible. thus, everybody must provide id, whereas in the past, it was patchy at best. and that explains my point, for the OP;

ie. it will be 100% of the time now.

11. SSJX

SSJX Member

i guess it's to cut down on sim cards used for illegal purposes - drug/gun running and/or money laundering

12. timace

timace Member

So does this throw out our ability to buy $2 VF red sims from Woolies?

13. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

AND 2 PROTEC AUSTRIA FROM TERRORRIS'TS YOU DUM-ARSE!!!

:p

not sure. possibly. probably.

14. Digitone

Digitone Member

It will still mean fuck all , as it really is easy as piss to get fake id's, and the fact is people are still going to be buying prepaid phones and not bother to activate the sims that come bundled and they will just be passed on to friends/sold online etc. So all in all its just another fucking time waste for stores , the margins on prepaid phones is already low enough and now they want us todo even more work for them arhhhhhhhhhg.

15. romp

romp Member

No, when I bought a VF $2 sim from Woolies two years ago, they requested id.

It will really still depend on the vendor. We sell Vodafone, Crazy Johns, Telstra, and Dodo prepaid sim cards and we aren't going to be asking for id from July 1. Just one of those many regulations that doesn't mean jack.

16. SSJX

SSJX Member

lol

better quickly register my simcards then...

17. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

granted, but you still have to get their ID if they are buying a prepaid phone and starter kit (as well as starter kit on its own)

18. Digitone

Digitone Member

Thats true but when the cops come knocking, there just guna say . I gave that away ages ago , I chucked that out as soon as I got it , I don't even remember getting a sim card with my phone. So really it doesn't solve shit, the fact is people who are currently activating mobile phones in bogus names and using them for dogy purposes is still going to happen and this won't stop any of it at all. All its going todo is give phones salesman even more work todo.

19. Ken-f

Ken-f Member

I MUST record down ID whenever I sell one. Usually drivers license number.

20. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

back in my optus store days we never asked for id on prepaid

(edit: except when little brats that looked like they shouldnt be buying a phone wanted one, because we'd have parents coming in getting mad at us for selling their little sally a phone when she isn't allowed to have one until she's 15)