Prime between 20-35mm

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by special.k, Dec 1, 2008.

1. special.k

special.k Member

I love my 50mm 1.8 but I find its a little too long for general indoor shots on my 40D. So I'm in the market for another prime that's wider. Willing to spend ~$1000 and would prefer f2 and below.

2 I have in mind are the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM.

Can anyone speak for or against either of those 2 or recommend another?

2. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Do you want AF? Coz with $1k there's some serious German glass calling your name...

3. OP
    OP
    special.k

special.k Member

Would prefer AF, but am open to all suggestions.

4. luke o

luke o Member

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM is the lens I just bought and I'm in love...

5. teegman

teegman Member

Speak up..

I'm hunting for a prime around the 20mm mark for a canon, not fussed about af

6. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Ultimate (you can find cheaper)

Very good

The siggy 30/1.4 is supposed to be very good too, there's some talk of soft copies so try to buy from somewhere that you can return without hassles, just in case. I've used the 20/1.8, it was a very soft copy wide open and the corners didnt get sharp until 5.6.

7. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Zuiko 21/3.5

Around the 20mm forget the Germans, they lost the war :p

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. djfiesta

djfiesta Member

Go that nikkor my friend. Nikkor ai-s ohhh yeh.

9. OP
    OP
    special.k

special.k Member

For my Canon :S

10. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Yes, for your Canon.

Actually forget the Distagon it works out too expensive... I'm still thinking @ 0.92c to the greenbuck :(

11. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Very hard to go past a Canon 35 F1.4 in this range (though not sure with the current exchange rate you will get it for under $1K. The sigma 30 is good, but in low light it is a bit hit and miss in terms of AF. In terms of image quality, the canon is slightly better, but the Sig is still very good.

If you are ok with manual focus, then there is Olympus OM 28 F3.5 which is very good (and cheap as), or Contax Zeiss 28 F2.8 which is also very good.

For the 20mm, other then the ones mentioned already, there is also the excellent Leica 19 F2.8, which is every bit as good as the Distagon 21. Though at these prices, I would be tempted to go a Nikon 14-24 F2.8 with adaptor (which I almost did until I tried a 16-35 F2.8 II which turned out to be actually very good).

12. azz

azz Member

Speaking from experience, I would consider OM Zuiko 35 f2. Probably get the Nikkor and this, keep the one you like best. Has the least amount of CA I have ever seen in a lens, sharp wide open and is tiny. Of course, you would then need a EF-S focusing screen. I'm using this on my 40D too, btw.

13. two40

two40 Member

not much focusing work to be done with wide angle so don't be scared of manual focus at that end of the scale.

14. azz

azz Member

Well, for street type stuff I agree, after 4m its locked to infinity.
    I would still highly recommend a focusing screen though, for wide open portraits etc.

15. two40

two40 Member

yeah. should have elaborated a bit but it's a given. you don't whack on a wide angle and shoot portraits up close do you? noses end up big and unflattering. most wide angle shooting is beyond 4m so focusing is not an issue. fair enough you can get some funky shots up close with them but most of the time it's longer range.

16. azz

azz Member

I wouldn't really call 35mm wide on a crop body...I have a lot of close portraits with my 35mm, I like it coz of the 30cm min focus distance. No big noses or the noticeable distortion as with a 17-XX zoom.

Now we're talking semantics, sorry for the OT talk.

17. OP
    OP
    special.k

special.k Member

Nah, I was thinking that myself. I don't want anything too wide, so would 20mm be to wide for general indoor portraits?

18. tHRiCe

tHRiCe Member

20mm on 1.6 crop is fine for indoor portraits, but you will get a little perspective distortion, but it won't be serious.

20mm on full frame, that's asking for trouble if you want to shoot individuals.

19. nxsr20

nxsr20 Member

There's also the Canon 28mm f/1.8. I don't have any experience with the lens, but reviews seem to rate the IQ with the 50mm f/1.8 and the build and AF speed with the 50mm f/1.4.

I've been looking for a nice prime around the 35mm mark (for a 5D), but the only one that suites my needs is the 35L. There's a 35mm f/2, but it lacks USM and edge sharpness. I may have to give the Zuiko 35mm f/2 a go and try manual focus *eek*.

20. azz

azz Member

Dooooooooo it! Easy with the large VF of the 5D, and the EF-F focus screen.
    If you are ever in Melbourne you can have a play with mine ;)

What I don't like about the 35L is how easily it gets a load of CA, and how chunky it is. Very fast AF and f1.4 though. Once you get used to MF though, AF quickly becomes annoying, with the 9 AF points close to each other.
    AF+low light+big aperture+small subject=fail