Prime for Indoor sport & Portraiture

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by quwackers, Mar 8, 2018.

1. quwackers

quwackers Member

I am switching to the Sony A7III and plan to shoot some indoor sport.

From what I've read/understand F2.8 can be a tad slow for Indoor sports (depending on lighting) on top of which the Sony 70-200 F2.8 is a little more then I intend to spend at this stage.

As such I am seeking a Fast Prime Lens to use, it's usage will be split between Basketball and Portraiture.

What focal range would you suggest for these applications, I am tossing up between 85mm, 105mm, and 135mm, leaning towards the 105mm largely due to it being the middle ground.

I will be patiently awaiting the Sigma ART range to be released native.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

depends what range your shooting at, the 85mm FE is proabably easiest and cheapest (its a great lens)
    RE the native ART lenses, i suspect its just an inbuilt MC-11 adapter so probably wont be gaining that much

3. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

Excellent suggestion on the Sony 85mm 1.8 I hadn't considered it, seems to rate fairly highly on DxOMark I can't imagine the cost difference would justify the Sigma, and after a lil more research it appears one of their weaknesses is their autofocus speed (which for any action despite IQ is a significant loss).

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i haven't shot sports with the 85mm yet (too shot for what I shoot normally)
    But yes the sigma 1.4's have a lot of glass to move, and the Sony native AF is always better than adapted

5. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

Yeah I am only shooting semi professional basketball, but I will be courtside, I will be around 1-5m from my subjects (whilst play is at the end of the court I am at).

6. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I'd start at the wider end, after all it's far easier to crop than to recreate what you missed by shooting too tight.

quwackers likes this.
  7. BuD

BuD Member

if shooting indoors also i would drop to 50mm as 85mm will be your nightmare unless you have plenty of space inside to work with

scrap that just read indoor SPORT :)

quwackers likes this.
  8. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

An 85mm on a full frame sensor is quite useable for indoor portraiture (The Canon 85/1.8 is great value for money, even when the adaptor is factored in) although may be a little short for indoor sports.

The 70-200/2.8 with the ISO wound up is probably the best option, despite the price.

quwackers likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

I will be picking up a 50mm 1.8 so I might see how I go with that.

I was only concerned about one end of the court at a time, I wasn't too concerned about capturing the whole game which is why I am considering primes.

I agree the 70-200 2.8 would be best, is the F4 even usable? Obviously it depends on lighting conditions, I may have to go and meter the courts. I think I might just roll with a 50 and 85 while I save for the 70-200 2.8

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

85mm for tight portrait should be fine, but probably a bit short for the field... but it depends on your mobility / access, and how close can you get to the action.

I've been doing roller derby with 200mm f/2.8 L and 400mm f/4 L. Set to shutter priority and crank up the ISO.

if you are working, you might also be able to setup several remote flashes to aid with poor lighting conditions. Just set them up in groups around the field and stash them out of the way. Use heavy duty tripods and sandbag the hell out of them.

You should also be wary of any venue restrictions on photography gear if you're not accredited media.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  11. Xang

Xang Member

The 85/1.8 is the definite choice if budget is a factor.

Reports of poor AF on Sigma lenses are highly doubtful. The 105 isn't even released yet.