1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Prime Rib... ?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by supasaiyan, Jul 29, 2015.

1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

While I was in the US, i was eating prime rib... why do you not find that cut of meat here??

Google has led me to Hogs Breath Cafe doing a prime rib but that just looks like a normal steak

2. neRok

neRok Member

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Isn't prime rib just Scotch fillet with the bone left on it?

4. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Yeah prime rib is just scotch fillet with bone in; the US call it prime rib because they can I guess.

I've seen butchers sell it labelled "Flintstone Steak", "Tomahawk Steak", same thing.

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Prime is a Grade of beef, not a cut. Prime is superior to Choice. Choice is superior to Select.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

MSA in Australia attempts to do something similar - but isn't quite as easy and understandable by the public - http://www.mla.com.au/Marketing-beef-and-lamb/Meat-Standards-Australia/MSA-beef/Grading

Rib would indicate Ribeye cut (also called Scotch Fillet). T Bone is Eye Fillet (large piece) and Porterhouse/NY Strip (thinner piece).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...ould-know-ribeye-strip-tenderloin-t-bone.html

If you want to absolutely destroy anything Hog's Breathe US or AU ever did; Pick a *good* cut of beef (say Rib Eye, Scotch Fillet). Get it *at least* an inch and a half thick. Leave it uncovered in the fridge for a day. Salt it. And Do a reverse sear Cook (oven/ambient heat till 45-50C, pull it out - rest for 10-15 minutes, get the hottest fucking pan you can muster, flip every 15 seconds if on a pan, every minute if over coals, rest a tad, add pepper and serve).

Reverse sear will get you a more uniform steak in terms of doneness through out, as well as getting you a crispier crust as a result of the meat having less moisture fighting you trying to make the crust.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. neRok

neRok Member

In the case of prime rib, this not true (according to wikipedia and its source...)
    While historically known as a “prime rib”, the USDA does not require the cut "to be derived from USDA Prime grade beef".[1]

So I suppose if you wanted a prime grade prime rib, you would need to order a "prime prime rib" :p

This is good advice. Sous-vide works on the same principle. I went with friends to Outback Jacks the other week and got a decent steak that must have been grilled, and it was pathetic compared to the steaks I cook at home. It's all in the crust! (ie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction)

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

Sous-vide will provide a superior interior (heh), however the crust will be slightly worse unless you go to some pretty extreme methods involving a full on blowtorch.

FWIW I do both - but largely the best i've managed so far was Rib Eye on the Bone over Coals in my weber. 2 Zone indirect to start till 45, then directly over coals (after stoking) till 55C. Rest for 10 minutes.

Charcoal simply imparts a flavour that *cannot* be replicated on a skillet.

8. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

Blowtorches for life!

[​IMG]

9. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

I don't agree with this ... a super hot skillet will give a more than adequate finish to a steak after sous-vide.

If you are cooking with charcoal because of taste it is best to do the whole cook on charcoal. That said whatever floats your boat.

10. Brett

Brett Member

The actual testing and grading done though is a better indication of end user satisfaction than USDA or the Japanese system I can't remember the name of.

<== MSA supplier.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

The actual technique is both.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ultimate-best-steak-ever-bone-in-ribeyes.html

Mostly this - but the examples in this thread give you some ideas to try if you don't know.

For sure - that doesn't mean that its quick and easy for the end consumer to understand.

12. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i always thought prime rib was just a standing rib roast.

14. caspian

caspian Member

I know that as a prime rib roast. cut to a single bone it becomes a prime rib steak, or ribeye on the bone, depending on your preferred terminology. and it's still just a scotch fillet on the bone, the difference being cut thickness.

15. lithos

lithos Member

Great, another kid who doesn't know his own culture...