Primochill Pump/Reservoir

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by xelaseer, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Looks sexy, hopefully we will see it on Martins liquid lab soon :)

At first I wasn't sure what they were trying to say however once you factor in that I believe this is supposed to be installed in a 5 1/2" bay it makes more sense. Doesn't matter which bay you do it in height wise as the fill port is on the front of the res (ie where the CD tray would come out)

So when the case is lying on its back (PCI cards at the bottom) the CDrom and the fill port will be at the highest point

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. BoxGods

BoxGods Member

Well, the goal was to accommodate all users (or as many as possible). I prefer to mount my radiator on top to also act as a blow hole for example. In that situation, even mounted in the top two bays the reservoir is not the highest point in the loop...and obviously is not the lowest.

Think about how reservoirs have worked up to this point. Some of the newer dual bays have a single screw in plug on the top. This may be considered an improvement, but not much as you have to open your case, undo the screws holding in your reservoir, slide it forward, (requiring extra tube and wire length) and carefully fill in tight space. Cant fill 100% either. Don't even think about draining, and in NEITHER case--fill or drain--is the reservoir the high or low point.

3. BoxGods

BoxGods Member

BINGO! WOOOT =)

4. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Note also that a lot of people will mount a rad in the top of their case, and that rad might end up being higher or as high as the top drive bays.

I think the position of the fill ports for tilting is a genuinely good idea.

5. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Indeed, I have a rad at the top of my case so I think its going to be handy.

Personally Im looking forward to this as its exactly what I need for my loop. I don't think this product is a revolution but rather a great evolution of some features.

I'd had my eye on the XPSC res for the DC pump however I wanted the D5 power instead. So great little features like the fill ports at the front combined with it looking damn sexy makes for a great product. Hopefully performance will be up there :)

My only concern, if you are hooking the pump up to this, then connecting the res to the case is there any room / thought given to vibration dampening? Would be nice to see the res connected to the case via grommets :D

6. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Endorsed in 10 char.

7. stuii

stuii Member

THanks - that makes a lot of sense and I agree. good feature.

I think I was picturing an upside down case or something.

what price point are these going to be launched at? also will there be a version with a nice black front for a stealth install? I'm not overly into bling

8. BoxGods

BoxGods Member

I tried several iso mount strategies but complexity and cost kept creeping in. Most people don't understand the relationship between vibration and case/desk rattle. I write reviews and articles for a hardware and modding site and am fanatical enough about vibration that I test rivet tightness for case reviews lol. Noise testing is so subjective that I can tell more by placing a clear glass of water (half full and obviously be careful not to spill) on the case while it is running. Makes my answer a bit long, but my point is that either the mass of acrylic in the T3 (and these are HEAVY duty parts, not thin plastic) or the water volume itself, or both, seem to absorb a good deal of vibration.

Again, the glass test is not the most scientific testing metric I know, but the unit does seem to generates less vibration the a stock D5.

9. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Yer i understand the cost vs benefit. Its good to see you took it into consideration :D

BTW its excellent to see you on the forums. Great to see companies that talk to the community :)

Now, how would us Australians go about getting our hands on these when they come out? Im dying to get my hands on one :)

10. Primo_Brian

Primo_Brian New Member

Well most of our US resellers ship internationally, so that is one way or direct from our website. But this might be the perfect time to let your favorite local cooling shop or e-tailer know that it is time to start carrying PrimoChill products..:p

Any of those options should work....

11. Primo_Brian

Primo_Brian New Member

Oops can not forget about our other resellers in Europe. Here is a pretty up to date list off our resellers.

Where to buy

12. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

I would think Flabbergast and Gammods would be interested in these.

Both are popular WC stores for members on the forum and also members themselves.

PCCG is another that would probably be interested too :)

13. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Does anyone know when this will be released?

14. Simwah

Simwah Member

I was thinking the same thing last night.

I sent him a PM.

15. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

Just got my D5 pump today ...... would really like to get one of these.

16. solublehamster

solublehamster Member

I've been checking the thermochill site every day and swearing when I see they haven't updated their news page :|

17. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

Maybe because its Primochill that makes the product everyone is talking about? :p

18. PHAT_pudding

PHAT_pudding Member

is the swiftech MCP655 a D5 in disguise?

if so, i am very much looking at getting this. used to have a reservoir and pump combo (gigabyte) and it was pretty decent, and saved a lot of space.

this however, seems a lot easyer to fill/bleed/drain.

19. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

Yes,

MCP655-B = Laing D5

MCP655 = Laing D5 Vario

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  20. PHAT_pudding

PHAT_pudding Member

cheers man, i got the vario then. guess it'll still fit seeing the only difference is speed control.