Printer profiling

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by pyrohamish, Apr 28, 2017.

1. pyrohamish

pyrohamish Member

Is anyone here able to create printer profiles from a sample print? Image Science do it but at $50 I find it a bit steep for home printing.
    Canon Pro-100S for reference. I assume it should be done for each different paper used?

2. Scootre

Scootre Member

$50 a bit steep? I'd say it's a bargain. I used to do this for a company I was with, for large format printers. We charged $950. Each.

It doesn't matter what type of printer is involved. The gear to make the profile and the time to do it is the same.

Have you tried downloading a profile from the manufacturer's site? And yes, one profile for every media type and print speed/res.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

What paper do you need profiled? As per the above post, most paper manufacuurers offer profiles on their websites.
    Image science occasionally offer half price profiling...
    I had some Chromajet pearl metallic profiled through them for $30...very happy with the results.

4. OP
    OP
    pyrohamish

pyrohamish Member

Using Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, Smooth Pearl and Gold Fibre Silk. I have got the profiles fro their website but SG and GFS both seem to be a bit whack.

5. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

Have you checked you are not 'double profiling'?

I had an issue where I would select profiles in lightroom printing with manual set on the Canon driver...printed skintones were magenta cast.

Ended up finding the matching tab setting had changed during a driver update. Needed to be set to 'none'. Whether this fixes your issue depends on how you are using profiles.

Have a look at the following link.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART159211

Also note some profiles will need you to choose a different paper type. (should be included in the Ilford profile download instructions)

And another thing to mention, profiling won't do much for you if your screen is not calibrated.

It is intended to make what you see on the screen match what you see in print. It also allows you to identify areas that are out of the range of the colour gamut of you printer/paper combo before you print.

Manufacturer profiles are generally good enough for most use, although some say each printer is slightly different. The only reason I profiled the chromajet paper is because I couldn't find a profile for the Pro-10 printer online.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  6. Scootre

Scootre Member

No mate, that's not correct. You can turn your screen brightness way up or down. It won't change your printed pics. I know that's not what you meant but what you get on screen is not what you get in print.

The gamut of an LCD screen is far greater than a printer. So that bright blue sky you see in your afternoon / dusk photos will not reproduce in print.

The job of the profile is to convert the colour numbers from your file (input space, via "PCS" - connection space) into the output space AND move all those out of gamut colours into in-gamut colours.

Everything you do is a compromise. The best thing you can do is learn to edit your photos via the numbers and learn soft proofing.

7. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

But if you turn your screen brightness up and down, your screen is no longer calibrated correctly, and what you print will look different to what you see on screen.
    The intent of using print profiles with an accurately calibrated screen (datacolor spyder or similar product/method) is to make what you see on the screen match what you print. (as closely as possible based on the gamut capabilities of the printer/paper combo and the gamut of the screen)

What a profile does with out of gamut colours, depends on your rendering intent settings.
    -Relative will print the all out of range colours the same as the most saturated the printer is capable of.
    -Perceptual will shift all colours so the out of range colours fit into the gamut.

And soft proofing as you mentioned ensures the original image has no out of range colours before it is printed...but you already know that.

For the home user with a decent printer Pro-100 or better you can generally get away with skipping soft proofing, but this depends on the subject of your photo and your artistic intent with said photo.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    pyrohamish

pyrohamish Member

The print settings are all as they should be and I have a calibrated screen. I might try and print a set of small examples so they can be compared visually.

9. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

$50 is pretty good, doubt you'll find cheaper really.

10. Renza

Renza Member

Hmm, I think i can do it, but you'd need to post the prints to me to profile in my printer. If you would like to try, I can send you the test patterns to print

11. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018