1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Product Phtography

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by riccoo, Dec 20, 2019.

1. riccoo

riccoo Member

Hey All

so at work they want me to start getting into product photography, i know my way around a camera and use to shoot automotive but product shoots, im a little lost. My main questions are full frame vs cropped, lens and lighting, most items are small and will be shot in a light box but i want to produce a high quality image for post processing as well

So what camera and lens do you all recommend, i need to provide 3 quotes so show me low, mid and high setups

2. oculi

oculi Member

What products? Cheap SLR (crop) light tent, cheap flashes and cheap radio triggers would be the way to go for the cheap option, you would probably want a tethered setup and automation if you are doing lots of products.

3. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

products range, headphones, rc cars, pc equipment, would you do flashes in the light tent?

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Alternatively, a cheap SLR or any camera with manual control would probably be fine. Light tent, some lamps and a tripod would do the job too.

5. oculi

oculi Member

Flashes go outside the light tent, that's the point of a light tent. Rarely you might want catch light but then on camera or ringflash is the go probably.

I've tried it both ways, hotlights make sense for this kind of thing on paper but suck to use IMHO.

6. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

ok lights aside what lens and camera would you look at?

7. oculi

oculi Member

Kit lens at the low end, no need for crazy apertures for this stuff.

Im out of the loop with cameras but whatever the cheapest one with live view is of thata brand you know what the buttons do on.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  8. Mrmeowpuss

Mrmeowpuss Member

As with most styles, it's more about the technique than the actual gear.

The questions you need to ask yourself and answer is mainly what your budget is and do you have any gear at the moment?

In terms of starting out and lighting, I'd suggest either the Godox AD200 or the Yongnuo YN360 III.

The Godox being a portable strobe will be more powerful, but if you are learning lighting the Yongnuo RGB light stick will be easier to use. It's a constant light so you can see exactly what you are getting.

In terms of body, I prefer a macro lenses (around 90-100mm depending on the system) for my product shots as you can get in close if you need to and these focal lengths give a nice look in general. Something around 50mm can work quite well too. Body wise it really depends on if you have any gear right now or a brand preference.

The type of product shots you like can determine setup too. The shot below is with an A7III + 90mm macro shot on a white background then changed in PS.

[​IMG]

Or even something like this below was taken on a Canon M5 + 32mm f/1.4 on my coffee table

[​IMG]