programming career == bad choice?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by MotorAce, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Jive Honky

Jive Honky Member

You know, you really ought to indent that code inside the braces. :p Then again, maybe it's a PHP thing...

C pwnz j00. :p

Code:
    programmingcareer = jobs >= workers ? goodchoice : badchoice;
    money = jobs >= workers ? lots : notmuch;

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  2. Geo

Geo Member

His code isnt php and you can use the tiernary operator in php anyway.

3. ratsock

ratsock Member

yeah, code is C (not a very compact version...but its C nonethless). I only made it in the php thing to make it more colorful :D lol
    Couldn't be stuffed indenting...usually i would, but if i press tab then it keeps going to the Submit Reply button....

4. Jive Honky

Jive Honky Member

Really? I didn't know C could have a "then" keyword after an if() statement. I guess you learn something new every day...

EDIT: I'm guessing "then" was a typo, because when I put it in an if() the compiler complains.

5. Geo

Geo Member

Its not C either, there is no 'then' in C. Id say the closest thing it comes to pseudocode.

6. DRILL SGT

DRILL SGT Member

I concur with Geo with the pseduo-code observation, although it sums up the laws of supply and demand in respect to our carreer. Personally I hope the IT industry begins to shape back to "people who are here for the work and not the pay".

7. yoink

yoink Member

There's too many people who come from a "2nd class" background in IT. Example: A place I know were hiring a lot of new people, in the end, they got some from Tafe, some from an IT college [I won't mention which one], and some with Uni degrees. The ones from the IT college were utterly useless, they had only taken a 6 month night-school course. They were out of there in 3 months.
    I guess what I'm saying is, too many "wanna-be's" bring down the trade for the real IT people; one of the guys with a proper Comp.Sci degree decided to leave after 4 months, as the turn-over in staff was stupidly high, and she wasn't there to teach newies how to do stuff.

8. PappaSmurf

PappaSmurf Member

First week out of uni though. I highly doubt it mate. :rolleyes:

9. praiseB

praiseB Member

So companies do hire people out of TAFE? this question has been going through my head alot latley as I am going into my diploma year at TAFE doing Software Dev and I have been wondering to my self if I would be better off going into UNI or staying where I am.

10. yoink

yoink Member

Yes, the TAFE guys were hired, and much better qualified than the IT college ones, BUT they were hired for helpdesk / support work, not programming. I think one of the guys have now moved into programming. Essentially, as long as you can get your foot inside the door of a company, even as helpdesk, you can get the necessary contacts to move around. I was first hired for IT support, and through the contacts I made in the first year or so, I got the position I wanted.

11. ratsock

ratsock Member

hehe, i think you're right...My mistake.
    Sorry all, its been a while since i did C... :p

12. praiseB

praiseB Member

Thats what most people seem to have to do any way, even with a uni degree. Seems the best way to get in is through help desk.

So I think my best bet would have to be to stay in Tafe for this year and finish off my deploma and make sure I keep my D avreage and try to hunt down work next year or move into uni for my degree.

13. yoink

yoink Member

Well, ask yourself:-

1. What skills do you have?
    2. What do you want to do?
    3. Do you already have some contacts that could land you a job?

Once you know those, it may become more obvious what you need to do.

14. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

Programming is okay, but I could never do it for a job.

I'm hoping to do some form of Engineering, Electrical or Computer Systems.
    At UTS (University of Technology Sydney, for you non-Sydney ppl) most Engineering courses are 5 years, but you have 2 seimesters of paid work. Thats why I'm hoping to go to UTS, because its the only university in Sydney I know of that has experience like that included in the course.
    A best case scenario would be to get employed by the people you did work for during your course and then work your way up seeing as you would already have the experience.

Whenever I see someone who has no idea when it comes to computers talk about how they wanna be in the IT field I always say to myself "yeah right...". To me it doesn't seem like they have a passion for what they want to do, maybe they do but I just can't see it.

15. OP
    OP
    MotorAce

MotorAce Member

ive decided to keep going with programming, im just alittle daunted about how much more i need to learn etc. I have a genuine interest in software dev i just hope it doesnt burn me out etc. anyone else going to QUT?

16. Bangers

Bangers Member

Gday MotorAce :)

I'm doing SE Major at QUT aswell, stick with it mate, you will really enjoy it. I'm getting straight 7's, 95%+ for all SE subjects so far.

If you really like, do it, don't worry about the job market, don't wory about anyone else, just do it.

PS. If you need help, ICQ me or something. I'll be more than happy to help a fellow QUTer. ;)

17. Geo

Geo Member

Are you first year Bangers?

18. Bangers

Bangers Member

3rd...

19. praiseB

praiseB Member

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I realy love programing but I belive there is alot more that I need to learn. I think this year is going to give me a better understanding of programing and more importantly implementing that knoledge with databases. But hey I think if you have a pasion for code and computers then I belive that its realy what you should go out and do, even if the job market is looking grim at the moment.

20. Osiris

Osiris Member

Getting a job in IT is also more of a case of who you know rather than what you know. Networking is virtually the only way for someone who is starting out.

.:Osiris:.