Programming Languages

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Infest, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Infest

Infest Member

Hey Guys...

Since 2 of my other threads have been blocked I'm going to try talk about Programming Languages...

SO yeah... what languages you guys program in???

--Infest

2. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

umm.. C, SQL, VB, ADA, Pascal, COBOL, QBASIC, but my real passion at the moment is Java.

p.s. why did your last threads get locked?

3. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

LOL

I don't know maybe you should ask the admin's I've had 2 threads blocked

1. I think was blocked because we were discussing how to make Virus'
    2. The admin "VooDoo" said that my thread in "the Pub" was ilrelivant and I should use IRC if I want to talk about that

LoL... Would you be able to teach me bit about C++ <~??

--Infest

PS - I wish my threads would be unlocked :( I miss them

I Msg'd the admin that blocked the 1st one and he went offline maybe he blocked me :(

4. Rolan

Rolan Member

c/c++/c# , x86 asm, sql, vb, java, asp.net, php, js.

5. systemdown

systemdown Member

A malicious batch file is hardly a 'virus' (unless it replicates and infects other machines in turn).

Have you tried Google? The sticky threads at the top of this forum? Go to the library.. etc.

All I can say is.. this is not IRC.

And in relation to your question: The best language for the job. Be it C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, PHP etc.

6. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

I See...

Well I hope this thread doesn't get blocked :(

--Infest

I got the book C++ For Dummies it's great ;)

7. xsive

xsive Member

primarily C/++ and J2SE/EE.
    I've used and know a few scripting languages (VBS, JS, SQL, bash) but I don't think they count :)

I don't really have a favourite. It's always about the best tool for the job.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  8. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

What were your resources while you were learning it???

--Infest

9. xsive

xsive Member

I learned to code in highschool, tafe and uni (in the midst of finishing a Comp Sci / Soft Eng degree). I originally started out teaching myself BASIC on an old Apple IIc. Some years later I dabbled in a little Pascal before picking up procedural C.
    I learned object orientation using Java and later switched to C++.

My primary resource is mostly the web. I do have quite a few reference books but I very seldom use them anymore. If you're interested I'd recommend Java Software Solutions by Lewis & Loftus as a good beginners resource if you're just wanting to get into programming.
    I much prefer Java to this end than say C++ because it takes away the complexities of doing menial tasks like memory management and pointer arithmetic and instead lets you focus on picking up the correct methodologies. Once you know how to code switching from one language to another simply becomes a matter of syntax. Another reason I quite like Java is the excellent documentation. It really sets the bar; I've yet to find an equivalent on another development platform.

Some good Java-related resources:
    The Sun Java Homepage
    Java Ranch
    Java World

You should really read the stickes in this forum.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  10. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

Java & C++ both can program similar things...right...just different languages???

--Infest

11. Rolan

Rolan Member

hmm.... .NET... :rolleyes:

12. GregDude

GregDude Member

At work, I code in Asm, C++, Managed C++, Script.

Asm = Totally machine specific
    C++ = Feels close to the machine
    Managed C++ = Lots going on behind the scenes
    Script = Virtual machine

What you can do in any language is governed by what API's are available, and/or how close to the machine you can get. I can code in Script, as long as I or someone else has 'bound' the script to useful operations. In Asm and C++ (which can usually be mixed), you can write the lowest level code like device drivers and hardware, memory, I/O, OS operations. You can do the same things in higher level languages so long as those things are exposed through an API. For example, almost no one writes their own low level graphics code anymore, instead they use DirectX which sits between the hardware vendors drivers and the video card. DirectX API is available to C++, C# and VB languages so anyone can make use of that functionality through those languages. I can wrap the DirectX API in script and then embed script in another application.

When choosing a language to use, you may need to consider what platform you are running on, what APIs are available, how good the development tools are. You might find a C compiler on many platforms, a Java compiler for mobile phones, some nice tools for Windows, some nice APIs for internet or database access etc.

Usually programmers will learn or use multiple langages and picking up a new one is not a great problem. I would say though, that having a deep understanding of the machine you are using, (or at least one machine such as the intel x86) and a reasonable understanding of how compilers work will help you to be a better programmer. You will know why things are the way they are and make better decisions.

13. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

Gregdude

Where in Brisbane do you work???

--Infest

14. xsive

xsive Member

I hope that post was supposed to be sarcastic :p
    MSDN is far inferior to Javadoc.

15. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

Hmmmm OO;;

--Infest

16. mpot

mpot Member

It will if the discussion heads in the wrong direction....like some of your previous threads...

I regularly program in C, C++, Visual Basic, VBA, ASP, Perl, and various flavours of scripting.

I did a lot of Pascal in high school and at university, but haven't touched it since leaving uni. I also did a lot of C programming at uni, and that's been very useful.

Most of the other languages I use are self-taught.

Cheers,
    Martin.

17. Jay

Jay Member

Now that I'm in uni I've used quite a large number of languages now, but still with +8 to C++ Stat :p

I started programming in Year11/12 with Pascal, which IMO is great for teaching the concepts of programming.

18. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

LoL mpot

Why do you ban all my threads ???

--Infest

19. mxxx

mxxx Member

your last thread was crap. you were obviously trying to make some sort of half-arse virus out of a batch file (wtf?) to infect a "friend." i'll take a wild guess and assume that's why you want to teach yourself C, also.

anyway, i'm in my first year of a BSE at ANU, so they're working us through Java at the moment. Seems like a pretty good language, i wouldn't mind if it could goto (i always get lost scriblling out recursive algorithms on paper), but other than that it seems like a nice way to start programming.

-mxmai

20. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

you'll generally program in whatever language someone is either:
    a) paying you to program in, or
    b) is the most suitable to the task, which could be decided by cost, platform and a number of reasons

i also hope you don't go and attempt to write some type of virus. it does not make you cool (in fact most virus writers and hackers are probably average programmers at best).

that said, best tool for the job tends to be available from:
    - c++ for most app development
    - vb (i guess it's all .NET stuff now, which i haven't bothered learning) which is very handy for small apps that need to be knocked up quickly, or prototypes
    - java for OS independant apps or again those that need to be knocked up relatively quickly
    - php for web-based stuff

the reason vb and java are used a lot more than c++ for most application development these days (i'm not talking mainstream resold apps, but apps developed for a particular business) is that all businesses consider their project something that needs to be developed relatively quickly and generally it's cheaper too.

i can't say i've properly compared php to asp (which is ultimately the main competitor).