Programming Languages

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Infest, Sep 3, 2004.

1. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

Don't Worry I'm not trying to make virus'

I bought C++ For Dummies Edition 5 and in the 1st chapter i made a program that converts celsius to fahrenheit

I felt so special :)

--Infest

2. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Lumberg (from office space) : "Yeah.. i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there... yeah."

All seriousness, I think java's features are it's robustness, it's scalability, that it is open-source and that it is machine independent. However I believe the trade-off is in RAD ... for quick knock up applications I use any of the tools from the Microsoft .net suite of products.

3. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

Is Java relatively easy to learn??

Is it harder that C++??

--Infest

4. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Piece of piss (both counts).

IDE's are very intuitive these days, everything you need to get up and running is usually accessible via an F1 or some form of help menu and/or code snippets.

5. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

like i said for quick dev i'd use vb (i stopped using vb at vb6, so never went on a learnt .net stuff).

sometimes though quick dev app != a windows app. also there is plenty of stuff that i'm sure is quicker to do in java than .net and java itself is not difficult to make things happen quickly on most counts, although i do think the ms stuff is easier/faster for gui creation.

i've come to hate IDEs these days and i'm not entirely sure why. i'm sure there are some good ones now, but for a while i kept finding that they all did something poorly.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  6. mpot

mpot Member

Using gotos typically results in unstructured "spagetti programming".....and can make your code difficult to understand and debug ;-)

Cheers,
    Martin.

7. mark|

mark| Member

Only for the next poor individual though, heh

8. mpot

mpot Member

And for the programmer himself too ;-)

Cheers,
    Martin.

9. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

yO Martin

Just a question...did you add me to your ignore list??

--Infest

10. mpot

mpot Member

No, but i'm tempted to ;-)

Cheers,
    Martin.

11. mxxx

mxxx Member

yeah, i know that's why they're not there, and for the most part i agree. but sometimes it'd be nice to use them.

responsibly, of course ;)

-mxmai

12. OP
    OP
    Infest

Infest Member

what does "goto" do???

--Infest

13. Osiris

Osiris Member

Im thankful Infest is asking about learning to program on hear, whatever his motivation. It shows he has no initative and thus will never be a threat to us, either creating a virus or as a potential competitor in the programming industry ;)

If you want to learn 'programming', you should have a clear idea of what you want to do. Writing a malicious program may be an objective of yours, but why write something distructive when you can make something thats constructive and could have a long term benefit?

For example, many web developers started with hand coding web pages, then added javascript, started using php to add dynamic behaviour and moved on to databases. Start by making yourself a webpage (remember, content is king) then keep adding to it and learn from there. In next to no time you could be creating webpages for a clan you belong to or doing charity work making webpages for Not For Profit organisations.

You're not limited to web programming (or web 'scripting' for the analy retentive). You may want to control electronics with your computer, create file sharing program or something else. Whatever it is, do it to learn. And always look back over your old code to see how much you've improved... you're guaranteed to shudder and wonder if you really wrote that ;)

Fundamentally: use your initiative to look around for what you need rather that immediately jumping onto some forums to ask for guidance/help. Research is a skill you need to learn whatever you end up doing.

.:Osiris:.

14. titan

titan Member

It's best that you don't know. At my uni, we submit our assignments electronically. They get rejected if they contain:

1. Tabs.
    2. Loops inside the main function.
    3. Any compile warnings (and obviously compile errors).
    4. Gotos.

15. SouthernMunk

SouthernMunk Member

What do you mean by 'tabs'? (Forgive my ignorance) And why are they rejected if they contain loops inside the main function? (When writing C++ apps with the Windows API, I always include the primary callback function as a WHILE loop inside of main()...)

16. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

I have learnt at uni..
    C, C++, Java, Haskel, perl, sql,

At work I program in a program specific code called C/Side which only works in the MBS Navision program. Its an ERP like SAP and JDE.

C++ and Java I have found are very alike and easy to learn. Java is probally the easiest to learn.

17. titan

titan Member

Using tabs for indentation. They should be 3 spaced. You wouldn't believe how many people failed the subject because of that, all because they were too retarded to write a program which converted their source to the correct standards.

18. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

would depend on the language for the loop inside the main function. But yeah usually your main just calls a function.

19. othy

othy Member

Fixed it for you...

--

othy

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  20. Bone

Bone Member

But whats wrong with using TAB for indenting? I usually use tabs, CBF pressing space a few times to get the desired indentation...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004