Prohibited Weapons Act NSW

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Daedalus01, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Bigwillie

Bigwillie Member

aww what gives. I'm not allowed to keep my PVC canon?? :mad:

2. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

my high school electronic's teacher made a railgun that he told us about, seems though that it tended to wear out the armature quite quickly...

not sure how you'd go about with the legalities of this.. however for a high school project i made with some friends a trebuchet, that was fun... then i found out that would have been allowed to make a flux compression generator ( for research purposes only of course :D ) and i'm talking about a big one, with home ( with the help of school ) made explosives to set it off lol.

oh well :( 'd still try and make one, but then asio would be onto me for being a terrorist... its not like i'd put it in a public place and detonate it or anything ^_^, i'd just take it somewhere and see out how many houses/buildings/electrical devices it could take out... :D

3. Tony

Tony New Member

Put it this way.

If you were in charge of your own kingdom and you could make all the rules and you wanted to make things as easy as possible for your henchmen, wouldn't you ban kevlar vests?

T.

4. Speiro

Speiro Member

Umm, is it just me or does that law seem a bit iffy to you?

5. Crimmo

Crimmo Member

Seems like any replica. Not too sure though.

What would the requirements be if I wanted to purchase Shurikens?

6. Paintballer

Paintballer Member

They are illegal, fullstop.

7. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

senario,

you go to murder someone and dont want to leave any evidence as forensics can trace a gun to the shells.

by catching the shells you essentialy make a murder more efficient

8. Doofus

Doofus Member

It's under the subheading of blades.
    Basically you cannot make a blade and sheath look like an ordinary object.

Ie, can't twist the handle off your umbrella and then stab someone with an attached blade that hides in the shaft of the umbrella. No swordcanes...
    Basically use your imagination and if you can effectively conceal the blade and handle inside another object and make it look like siad object it is illegal.

9. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

*abandons project phoneknife*

stupid government never lets me have any fun.

what happened to the good old days of firecrackers and blown off limbs.

ah those were the days.

*drives to canberra*

10. Doofus

Doofus Member

Would the phoneknife allow you to stab the person at the other end?
    That would be cool.

Fireworks....
    Love living in Canberra...

11. Mac No Pickle

Mac No Pickle Member

If you're going to murder someone you aren't going to be worried about the possibility of getting +1 year tacked onto your sentence. Having said that if the criminal wants to make sure they don't leave the brass behind they could just use a revolver.

12. Tony

Tony New Member

completely wrong!

If I put some bullets into you forensics do not need the empty cartridges AT ALL.

They can pull calibre off the slugs they remove out of your body and conclusively ID the gun as unique.

If I wanted to kill you and be completely anonymous, I'd use another type of firearm I won't mention (and it's not a revolver).

13. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I live in SA where the laws are slightly different, but there is a difference betweeen carrying a weapon in public (which is usually illegal, even if owning the weapon is legal) and owning a weapon. There are many weapons you can have in your home or backyard, or out in the bush that would get you arrested if you walked down the street with them.

Funnily enough I have been carriying a knife nearly my whole life, both pocket knife (victorinox) and folding knife (spyderco clipit), sometime both at the same time. I've never had a problem, but I also don't advertise that I'm carrying them. (and I no longer wear them to airports - although before sept 11 I never had a problem, I'd put my pocket knife in the box with my keys, and the metal detectors didn't pick up the folder.)

I have actually made my own sword, a 19th century backsword replica, it's certainly not illegal to own one.

I think the main weapons they make illegal are ones which are designed to be concealed and maximise damage in a hand to hand situation. I don't really know why nunchaku are illegal - they aren't particularly effective, or good at dealing damage... obviously some items are included in the illegal list just because someone thought it was a good idea.

here in SA replica firearms require a licence just as if they were real (even replica muzzle loaders!)

14. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Knife-over-IP would be far, far better.

15. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Hmm ... sounds like an April 1 RFC to me ...

16. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

a Railgun?

17. apsilon

apsilon Member

No, something far more common.

18. iNeLuKi

iNeLuKi (Banned or Deleted)

You can carry maces, swords, polearms, etc in public if you are a card carrying member of a reenactment group. SCA, NVG, etc.

I find it strange that they ban some items which are hard to obtain and possibly conspicuous but any yob can walk around with a cricket bat, golf club, baseball bat, dog chain, etc. It's not concealed, it's a weapon hidden in plain site. I've also seen people who wear 1m lengths of heavy chain with multiple padlocks around there neck/waist and it's considered a fashion statement but studded gloves aren't? I'd prefer to be hit in the face by a studded glove than a heavy chain and padlock flail.

Note the "and". It's not just condition (a) it's (a) & (b).

19. CDman

CDman Member

Nokia 7110

I remember I was behind 2 policemen when I opened up my Nokia 7110, the filp phone that has that active slide.
    Like the one in the Matrix, although that was a modified 8110.

Anyhow, these guys just tought it was some flick knife.
    Then when I closed it and went passed them again I just thought I'll open it again and I did and they found out it was a phone.

Paranoid people.
    But in their situation, I'd probably understand.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Member

If you're thinking about a shotgun, you'd be completely wrong.