1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project and Task Management

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Gunna, May 8, 2019.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Just curious what people are using to track IT related projects from initial discovery\design, Approvals, creation and assignment of tasks and the ability to attach files\notes related to projects\tasks.

2. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

How many users are you talking about?

I use Jira/Confluence. Jira can be customised to almost any work flow and then Confluence handles the documentation side of things. Small teams start super cheep as we are running self hosted and our initial outlay was $20 per year for 10 users. It's a bit more expensive for the cloud version ($10/month I think) but still really cheep for what it does. If you go over 10 users then it will hit you big time, though if you are running a team > 10 and can't afford $3K a year then you either need to make more money or get another job :).

3. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Assuming you are in a corporate / enterprise environment: If the task assignment is fairly simple, and project length short term, you would be mad not to simply use O365 offerings. Plenty of ways to setup a decent Collab / Project Management / Ticket / Workflow.

i.e. Planner with daily buckets for task tracking. Teams with group emails receiving flow-directed support requests. Forms / SP for data collection, etc.. All this comes free with a standard $15 business license :)
    If it's an epic project with complex dependencies - it won't do what you need... there's always Project for that... but id rather go to Jira / Asana in that case :S

4. scrantic

scrantic Member

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm going to come out and say it: I *hate* Jira for non-software-development tasks.

For larger systems projects / dependency / task tracking, I just feel it's a square peg hammered into a round hole.

Ironically at my last workplace Wrike was investigated by the developers as a project management tool for them. It looked far nicer for our non-development needs. Ultimately it was rejected on cost (yay for $0 budgets).

6. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Jira, my experiences with it are extensive, to counter voice Elvis's comment I've used it very successfully for multi-billion dollar construction and IT projects. Workflows and post event action configuration is excellent. (e.g. move to a new status, which kicks off any external command/action you want) integration with other enterprise platforms is excellent. Interface has been redone lately and is 'prettier' though I am used to the old one.

If you want a simple kanban tasy tracker trello.com is excellent (another Atlassian product)

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Did you have to do much modification with it to get it to that state?

To be fair, my experiences with it are dated now. Time flies when you're having fun slogging your guts out.

8. Tinian

Tinian Member

Two main criteria - what the team prefers to use and what the client generally mandates. JIRA is pretty good for agile developments (why it exists) as long as the people using it are reasonably skilled. I don't tend to care as I can manage using a spreadsheet if I have to.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Gitlab + Gantt

Use all the PM function in gitlab and document in the wiki.