1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project - Apple G5 Identity Crysis (Update 26-10 Test fitting and Photo's)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by aokman, Aug 19, 2008.

1. aokman

aokman Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Project - Apple G5 Identity Crysis (Update 21-10 BIG UPDATE)

Initial Intentions:

Well partially the idea of this build is to give my old hardware a new home to go to as i build my new rig. The hardware config is almost 100% friendly to OSX86, my aim is to make the interior as neat and bold as possible just like the exterior.

Initial parts will include:

Asus P5K Deluxe
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB
    OCZ Reaper 8GB 8500
    2-4 640gb HDD's - Raid
    Core 2 Duo @ 3.55Ghz (1.33v)
    Apple 20" Cinema Display
    Apple Aluminum keyboard

Other parts will include watercooling and what power supply can be fitted in. The case design is unique and it poses some challenges when it comes to mounting hardware...

Initial measurements:

The existing HDD cage area at the top has a rough area of 190mmx240mmx82mm available to mount a power supply or to be left as is.

The bottom area below where the mainboard mounts has approx dimensions of 462mmx188mmx64mm. Intentions are to cover the whole bottom area with a sheet of brushed aluminum which would be 462mmx188mm.

Steps to be done:

-Mainboard tray requires mounting in case
    -Powersupply requires mounting
    -HDD cage requires mounting
    -Power switch requires parts
    -Power light requires parts

-Locations for watercooling...

Also on the list is to source original fans from one of these cases in the original color to complete the theme and look.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. Knobi

Knobi Member

haha. mine too. Nearly 100% compatible :D

Where did you get that case?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  4. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Managed to score the case off ebay, was a good buy :), ive been wanting to do this to apple g5 for a long time, the v1000 is close but still aint the real thing :)

5. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Power button done

I thought id make a little start on it all tonight, still waiting for parts to arrive to get stuck into the big stuff but atleast i can cross something off the list.

I was under the impression that this case didnt even have a power button and id have to mod one to fit but it turns out there is a tiny guy hiding against the front of the case :) and the LED was still there aswell :)

The wiring is simple, middle ground and 1 for power LED and 1 for power SW ;) Just had to solder some new wiring on and test, works a charm...

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

[​IMG]

Its alive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

i like. cant wait to see how it turns out.

7. itachi46

itachi46 Member

wow something i'll look forward to seeing haha good luck!

8. NRGU

NRGU Member

mm looks good, how'd you score that?

9. anark1

anark1 Member

^^^ i would assume he got it off ebay ?

10. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Lian Li arrives...

Well things are starting to come together, another part of the build finally arrived... a donor Lian Li PC 60 case.

The main thing i want from this case is the removeable mainboard try, it is absolutely perfect for what i need and has a perfect finish that wont detract from the look of the case. The panels are also an excellent option for my brushed sheet metal if i cant source any from else where.

Its quite a waste of a Lian Li i guess but its a required step as i tried my hardest to find a aluminium mainboard tray by itself but they just aint around :(

On the 4th picture you can see the general idea of how the mainboard tray will look, im planning to cut the back so it can accept 2 x 80mm fans at the back instead of 1, why Lian li didnt do it from the factory is beyond me. I have found a source for the popular grey Delta 3 blade fans used in Mac's aswell :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  11. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Made some more progress today, popped all the rivets on the Lian Li tray and did a quick cut to the back of the case to see where i need make the finer adjustments and center the mainboard tray correctly...

Also did a test fit of the DVD drive to make sure the mounts i want to use will do the job, luckily they work great :) I would also love some input from people if they know of any drives that have a shorter depth than 180mm like my drive, i would like to get the smallest one i can be it blueray or whatever with SATA :)

Also on the hunt now looking at water cooling gear, fans, UV stuff etc... haven't decided what will be used yet but ive sized up appropriate areas in the case and its definitely doable :) Im also looking at some new graphic card('s) and processor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  12. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

looking great so far :)

how much did you score that case for?

incredibly tempting to try this for myself if i find a case :)

13. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I got this case for $150 off Australia Ebay, you probably wont find one now, you can get one from the states but be prepared for some decent postage costs :(

14. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Been searching for a while for a appropriate PSU to use in the case, first contender is this OCZ Stealth 600W. Its far from a powerhouse i guess but it can cut it, unfortunately there are height and length limitations at the top of the case...

Once the case is opened you can see how small the footprint of the the PCB is, plenty of room...some options are to reduce the height of the casing and she will slide in nicely, or i can remove it from the enclosure completely, mount it in the top of the case and come up with some cooling options. Im thinking the first option though...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Well got a bit done tonight as i had some time to spare, managed to remove the entire top tray and the ridge off the back of it, i forgot about the tip in the middle of it in my measurements so it turns out i have a overall of 87mm height in the top to play with now which will get a power supply in nicely with some work :) Also with the ridge gone i can butt the power supply right up near the back of the case... 2nd last picture shows all the stuff that has to come off just to remove the top tray, bit of fun anyway :lol:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. ghettro

ghettro Member

looks sweet, it's something I would have like to have done myself :)

17. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Got some more work done this weekend, taken a little while as i have been trying to decide what tools to use for my fan holes, the holesaws ive been looking at are very expensive coming in at about $150 just for a few fan holes so i decided to use a circle cutter instead, its a great tool costing only $35 with full adjustments upto 125mm.

All in all it went great, i used a lubricant to keep the tool and metal cool pulling out every 30secs or so and letting it cool also. I finished the edges up with a dremel tungsten carbide cutter, a warning though, the carbide cutter makes horrendous metal shards that are like tiny splinters, wear gloves!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Time for more updates :lol:

Sun was shining today so i got outside quicksmart and continued on with the mainboard tray mounting, i riveted the Lian-li tray back together and did some test fits seeing where more cutting was required and im about 90% done, i still have to work on the actual back plate and do a cutout for the panel latch and also clean up the edges.

I couldn't get it all done today as my long time modding companion the Dremel decided to pack it suddenly when i clipped a burr on the panel with the carbide cutter. Guess after 6yrs of solid service it was time to get another one, i shall hang this one and mount it on the wall as she went out with a bang :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. mixology

mixology Member

aaa so you were the guy that outbidded me on eBay xD jks lol

fucking awesome man, i was also tempted to buy this case and mod it out myself but didn't have the time. but it wouldn't have done no justice like you have. can't wait to see the final results. :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  20. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

hehe thanks mate trying to make her as good as it can be :)

i stopped in at Bunnings agaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin and brought a new dremel with flexi tool this time and also managed to pick up a new circle cutter :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]