1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Carmageddon

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Dukeymeng, May 31, 2011.

1. Dukeymeng

Dukeymeng Member

PROJECT CARMAGEDDON!!!

So a few mates of mine we where at an engagement party talking about anything but the engagement,
    we worked our conversation towards old PC games and Carmageddon Came up, As i was standing there thinking What if we set up 6 machines all running Carmageddon and have a good old Carmageddon LAN

So I proceed to basically put my foot down and say right... lets do it!!!

The Mission: To Build up 6 PC's All running Carmageddon With 3D Acceleration all running on an IPX network With Sound

Deadline Yes a deadline 11/06/2001 (LAN Deadline)

Current Work Flow

Monday 30th of May

After The Conversation at the Engagement and getting over the Hangover From Saturday night, I proceeded into work and found a few machines in the graveyard that fit the bill, all be it a little bit new but i'm sure they would suffice. Dell Insperon's A nice neat little package that has AGP and PCI.. although one of them has PCI-e but im sure a Voodoo 2 or 1 should be ok...

[​IMG]

Tuesday 31st of May

So I had a little spare time at work and thought id see if i could get Carmageddon working on XP on these machines, After reinstalling XP on 2 of the dell boxes i proceeded to Try and get Caramageddon working.

[​IMG]

After installing Carmageddon on both machines i proceeded to get it working on the LAN cards, After Installing the Optional Netware Client and IPX Protocols All is Good :)

At this point the I haven't had my hands on a 3D Card yet so not sure how that will turn out..

[​IMG]

Wednesday 1st of June

After A great Response from a few OCAU People including ZXR, PANZERAMD, DRAGONKZ and phrosty-boi They are willing to give up their old 3DFX cards for the Greater Good per say.. Kind of kicked me into second gear so i went on the hunt for some old Matching CRT Monitors also found another 2 Matching Dells so all is looking great on the hardware front..

After a few calls i managed to find some BLACK!!! Phillips 107S Monitors for $9 each so i picked up 7 (1 extra just in case) Also went out and bought brand new USB Keyboards and Mice (the most expensive part of the build so far)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thursday 2nd of June

I'm Sorry nothing got done today, Other than get hooked on minecraft and setup my own server which 15 people are now playing... I didn't even eat dinner... stupid addictive game, How come anything that has Craft in the name is Addictive...

Friday 3rd of June

Ok so i picked up some old Voodoo Cards from my parents place and went to try them out !!! BRICK WALL... (that can be broken).. Apparently to run Carmageddon in 3dfx mode you need to be running in full screen DOS mode.. so XP is out of the question, a stumbling block but nothing that i can't get around.. A few of the guys have just confirmed sending the cards so i will hopefully get them early next week.. oh and stayed up way too much playing Minecraft..

Sunday 5th of June

Bought Some Tables from Bunnings, Pretty awesome, They are a bit bigger than i thought they would be, Setup the 16Port Switch and Cabled everything together, also couldn't find another Dell so i had to put together a box to be the 6th machine, all good but now comes the painful task of either setting up Dual Boot dos boxes or installing Windows 98 on all these machines... i Will do a few trials and see what i can make work the best.

[​IMG]

Monday 6th of June

So after about 6 Hours of Looking for drivers for network cards, Dos sound issues, Fixing IRQ Conflicts and Trying Windows 98 and ME 3 times I am unable to get these working with the 3DFX Cards, Due to my time line i will have to play these in HiRes Software mode on XP, Not that it looks bad at all, I think it will work out pretty good actually.. Sorry to disappoint you guys but it will still be happening just not in glorious 3DFX, I have also Tried Glide Wrapper and DosBox with no luck all have issues with sounds and Frame rates..

The next step is reinstalling XP on 5 of these machines which i will do either tonight or tomorrow..

Thursday 9th of June

Ok i didn't want to give up on the 3D cards but it looks like i'll have too, bit of a shame but as these are P4's I am able to run Carmageddon in -hires mode so this means a whopping 640x480 instead of the normal 320*240, i'm happy about how it looks and it runs smooth, thats more than the DoS box and Glide wrapper attempts that i had, so it looks like all good for launch...

I have just ordered 6 sets of matching 40watt 2.1's to roar the room out when the guy says... 3 ... 2... 1....

On a side note, one of these dells is blue screening when reinstalling windows, my guess is memory which i will fix up later tonight, so all looking like on track, i will post another post when everything is ready and put up the pics During the event which is Saturday night, might be a little tipsy but i can fix it up Sunday morning...

Friday 10th of June

Fixed the Blue Screening PC, Reinstalled XP on 3 of the machines all drivers etc, Running out of time fast, just picked up the 6x 2.1 Speakers, still need to get 2 of the machines reinstalled with no time at all, heading to Fanboy V's ArtBoy tonight with a gym assessment tomorrow morning.. which leaves me about 4 hours to finish this off before the event begins... :(

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

If you get a full LAN gaming going, I'd love to see a video.

Top effort all the same! :thumbup:

3. Cannula

Cannula Member

I'll be watching this closely, can we get picks of your hardware?

4. OP
    OP
    Dukeymeng

Dukeymeng Member

Just Updated it :)

5. Ricktastic

Ricktastic Member

Truely inspired design work i must say,

needs more water cooling though....

6. OP
    OP
    Dukeymeng

Dukeymeng Member

Your First Post... wow I'm honored :)

7. elvis

Is it a public LAN? And if so, where abouts?

(And I'm assuming it's 2011, and you haven't succeed in time travel. Although if you have, I've got some stuff I want to buy from 1985.)

8. DCx3

DCx3 Member

the real question is, can those boxes run crysis?

truly brilliant work by the way, remember playin this as a boy, its funny your doin this as they are going to release a new carmageddon game

9. OP
    OP
    Dukeymeng

Dukeymeng Member

Sorry Elvis its at my house :( so invite only but i will post everything up here for everyone to see :)

10. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Er... Carmageddon runs fine in dosbox and you can emulate ipx over tcp.

11. OP
    OP
    Dukeymeng

Dukeymeng Member

Dosbox with Hardware 3dfx support for carmageddon is not the best, i have tried Glide Wrapper and it laggs out way too much

and its more about the old old machine factor , otherwise i would have got some LCD's

12. elvis

All good mate. I'm loving the photos so far! :)

If you read through this forum you'll find many posts like yours. "Why go to all the effort of playing <blah> on real hardware when you can emulate it?"

We do it because we like it, and because we can. It's our hobby, and we enjoy it. That's why.

13. broox

broox Member

same here, awesome game. many cunning stunt bonuses were had :D

Hold the fucking presses! I need details!

14. elvis

15. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

It's fair enough, I guess I don't find it 'retro' when you're using computers that I'm still supporting, I've got a company full of those p4 dells. As for finding 6 decent 3dfx cards, I say good luck to you. :thumbup:

16. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Don't forget to give everyone speakers because there is nothing like hearing masses of screams, splatters, crashes and Stunning Cun.t bonuses en masse. :Pirate:

17. OP
    OP
    Dukeymeng

Dukeymeng Member

Well they are if your trying to run 98 on them.. :)

18. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

I bet we didn't see an update for Monday on the actual day because he was playing Minecraft. :lol:

19. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Check out the Carmageddon site, a new Carmageddon might be coming out 2011/2012.

20. Krumm

Krumm Member

I love the uniformity with the computer setups, as for hardware not being the appropriate era who cares it looks good and you'll have a ton of fun.

What problems were you having with Win98/Me? Personally I wouldn't bother with Millenium it was rather buggy unless fully patched, but Win 98 SE would be the best version to use as it fixed a lot of issues in the previous iterations.