Project Cars

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by anthonyl, Oct 12, 2011.

1. xosfear

xosfear Member

2. Ospi

Ospi Member

Put together a side by side comparison with the Oreca at Imola from in-game and from some practice footage from our race there this past weekend. Interesting results, will post if I get permission to share the video.

3. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

please do.. would love to see it :)

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Has anybody spent some time racing online? I hopped into a couple of online races tonight, only about 5 lobbys to choose from all up :Paranoid:

When I eventually got to racing I found there were 2 cars that were lagging all over my screen. They would look stationary and then they would jump forward, then they would reappear sideways straight in front of me forcing me off the track or into a collision. That's really annoying when it's only a 5 lap race and losing 10 seconds or so puts you out of it.

Anybody else experiencing this and have a way to avoid it? I guess I'll just try to hang back from the pack a little bit and keep as much pace as I can until I can judge it safe to get past them. Last race I had to pit because of damage thanks to that.

Seems pretty good other than that, bar the few racers that don't look for oncoming traffic when they're off the track and just fly into the side of you, and of course the fantastic first corner crash heroes.

5. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Online lobbies tend to be peer-to-peer, given the PITA that the dedicated server presents itself as. Hopefully things improve once they get a proper functioning DS application.

Have read that changing your steam download region will yield more hits in the online search list.

The few races I've done have worked pretty well, so fingers crossed online picks up in a big way.

6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Removed...,

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. Will S

Will S Member

if I want to race online I go with iracing........so much better but maybe it can get a bit to serious with SR and IR points etc

Still, pCars is fun and cheap in comparison to iracing but if you are serious about car race sims then only one way to go and thats iracing

I will eventually wander back to iracing but at the moment am having a lot of fun with ai and pCars

8. MorganH76

MorganH76 Member

Project CARS is worth the price for endurance racing alone.

Doing a LeMans 24hr, compressed down into 4 hours, with full day / night cycle and rain coming and going. Add to that the LMP cars and GTs mixing it up together, and it is one of the best Sim racing experiences I have ever had :)

9. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Okay so from my limited experience with pCars online so far.. It's full of first time racers.. Idiots that just try and win the race turn one.. and also have no idea who has right away on a racing line..

Okay so once im out of the crowd I seem to have no problem staying in the top 5... but.. when i get held up on turn one because of 'first turn hero's' i get angry nerds that clearly have just come from GTA/Forza/GT5 and now think they are racing gods. (I'm not the fastest bloke around, but I have been Sim Racing for 10+ years now since finding GT Legends/GTR)

Latest incident was, on Bathurst after getting someone turned around in front of me at turn one, I recover and start heading down to turn 2, I'm running next to someone, but I am ahead of him, his front wheels are about equal to my rears, I currently running on the inside line.. So I start slowly edging over before the right hand turn, otherwise I have to give up the position and the speed on the straight, The dickhead just holds straight, does not see that I am trying to maintain a racing line or adjust at all.. Of course the inevitable happens, he clips my rear and we both spin out..
    Then he RAGES at me none stop holds down the accelerator smashing me against the wall and pinning me there, whilst calling me Everything under the sun, "WHY DID YOU DOO THAT YOU F**KN IDIOT… blah blah blah" I told him to check replay and learn about what is called a racing line. I'm not taking the inside line on an off camber high speed right as he would have just rear ended me any way as I would have had to slow down too much.

/end rant…

TL;DR - Internet is full of clowns.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Lol, i think the driving standards observer might want to take a look at that. I dont think you can move across on a guy like that just because you dont want the inside line coming into griffins bend :lol:

11. Boneman

Boneman Member

You gotta give racing room, cars dont evaporate. It hurts when you make a mistake but it happens. :cool:

12. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

If a car is on the outside and next to you, you can't just move over on them, they do not have to slow up be give you the corner.

Your exit from the first has left you slower and means he has a run on you at the corner so you need to hold your shallow line and not take him out, but he should have you on the next corner given his line will be on the inside.

13. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

No no, I didn't have a slower exit, I was edging him out along the straight.

I understand if his car was even remotely close to the front of my car, he was holding his position in my blind spot. This is counter intuitive, every track day I have ever done on a car/bike this is the rule, "hold your racing line and allow the rear driver to adjust to you". If you are behind the car you need to allow movement for the car in-front to take that line. Why... if I had a clear line to my left with a quick head check would I not move into that line? If you had to do a full 110 deg head check every time you wanted to move back into a racing line, you would never hit your brake markers.

I understand if his nose was in-line with my head there for being able to actually see him, but he was holding my blind spot/rear 1/4 of my car for the whole time, of which I am not responsible for, I have right away for that line. If your trying to encroach on the outside line of a car your never going to have the driver react to yourself being there. The driver is focus on the next corner, not your position.. (unless you are on the inside line and braking late) there for presenting yourself to the driver to adjust their line at entry.

just to be clear, I didn't just sharply move into position just before the line, i was edging over as I gained space from him. He had plenty of time on that straight to realise he was in a loosing pace.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, I'm just surprised you could say anyone sitting backwards on a line without at least half a cars length on position would have right away. especially when that car has the speed on the outside one.

Put the cars on in the same position on the exit of a corner.. Inside will always take the exit line. and push outside to back off or run wide.. correct?

(disclaimer.. I'm not angry just curious now if my mentality is correct :lol:)

14. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Wasnt there so it's hard to say, but doesnt matter if he's on your a-pillar or your rear wheel in a situation like that, he's entitled to some room.

Same deal with exiting a corner. If you're inside in a side by side situation you *know* you cant run wide on exit. The whole reason he'd position his car there is to compromise your line and reduce your speed through the corner.

It's not a series of hotlaps where everyone drives on the ideal line, it's racing.

That said, pinning you into the wall and shouting is hardly an appropriate response lol, but a lot of guys turn into angry jerks playing games on the internet.

15. r8response

r8response Member

You'd have been penalised for that.

16. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

For having more speed than him?

Very True, I think this is one of those could have gone either way racing situations, couple with lag, a bit of bad judgement and the fact that we were both pushed to back of the pack very quickly because of clowns in front of us trying to win it in the first corner which ='s aggressive racing style.

How ever, I thought the b-pillar rule applies to cornering overtakes, to make sure that the outside line back's off if they are past your b-pillar and on the inside line. If you are coming in hot and on the inside, you will most likely need the full width of the exit.

Any way any way... game is good, happy racing.. Do we have an OCAU server yet? (im sure after this discussion i will be unwelcome :D)

17. Will S

Will S Member

from my reading of what you said you are in the wrong, you are heading up Mountain Straight and are one the inside line for the next corner ( right side )and his nose would be next to your rear wheel. Now you want a better line for the next corner and want to go to the outside ( left side )but he is there and he does not need to slow to let you in......you moved across on him and a collision happened and as you moved of your line and on to his you are in the wrong

but his reaction is wrong also......

18. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Well from watching Motorsport and racing online I have never seen that interpretation. You see this type of thing all the time in the V8SC, they don't just run the guy behind of the road, if they do they get a tour of the pits.

As mshagg said, he was trying to compromise you line, that's called racing. You should have braked early, moved behind him and made a really good run through the sweeper and taken him on the sharp left.

19. r8response

r8response Member

For moving across on him. Which you freely admit to doing.

20. ZXR

ZXR Member

You can hold your line. You can't move over onto the racing line if someone is there. Doesn't matter if you're in front. They have every right to be there.

It's only when a car is on the inside of your car and only just has their nose up next to the back of your car that someone has to back off (that someone being the inside/back driver).

To add to this, if I were in the same situation, I would've gone as wide as I could without hitting the outside driver and then taken the apex. You would most likely come out of the corner faster and in front so could then drift to the outside of the corner on exit in front of the car that had to take a much wider line. This is why the inside line is where you want to be when racing for position and why you often see the car in front protect the inside line when being pressured from the driver behind.

-ZXR