Project CaseLabs Mercury S8

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by roamin, Sep 15, 2016.

1. roamin

roamin Member

Hello all its time i started a thread for a build im about to do.

I have not had a case for around 7 years now as the pc i built i also machined the case on a cnc machine and its time for a change!

Caselabs make the best quality cases on the market and im stoked to be able to say that i am the proud owner of one! I love horizontal motherboards and this is why i went with the S8 mercury series!

over the last 12 weeks i have been collecting parts for a build i am going to do in a caselabs S8.

I will be using a lot of my current hardware, its getting a little bit older at the moment but reality is its still good gear that still pulls good FPS in games. I am waiting for the 1080ti to be released as thats when the current GPUs will get an update! I will also be running a few new items to set the base for when i do finally change the older parts.

Current hardware i will be using
    CPU: Intel 3770k @4.7ghz
    Mobo: Gigabyte z77 up5 th
    RAM: Corsair dominator DDR3 16GB
    GPUs: EVGA Keplar Titans in SLI
    Monitor: Asus Rog PG278Q Gsync
    Keyboard: Logitech G19
    Mouse: Logitech something :)

New hardware
    Case: CaseLabs Mercury S8
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i - Will be using MDPC sleeving and all new custom made wiring for custom lengths to suit the case
    SSD: Samsung 1tb SSD
    FANS: A stack of Corsair SP120 and 1x SP140

Water Cooling
    Pump: Aquacomputer D5 Aquabus
    RES: Aquacomputer Aqualis 450ml - nicest res on the market with borosilicate glass
    D5 Top
    Fittings: Primochill Ghost Fittings (Acrylic Tube)
    CPU: EK Supremecy EVO
    GPU: EK Titan-fc
    RAM: EK-RAM Monarch X4
    RAD: 2x XSPC RX360 V3
    RAD: 1x XSPC AX360
    Filter: Aquacomputer inline filter

Fan Controller / Pump controller / Monitoring
    Aquacomputer Aqauero 5 xt

Led Controller
    Aquacomputer Farbwerk

There will be more that i have forgotten about as im at work and not looking at the pile of parts, but i will update this thread tonight if i see any more that i have missed.

I have to say a big thank you to a good mate of mine who is on this forum BelowaverageIQ. This build would not be possible without him. He has a heart of gold!

I will start posting photos shortly as i will lay out all the parts so i can get an idea on what and how i will do this build.

Cheers!

2. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Look forward too it :)

I also love caselabs cases, (i have an s8 s5 and and s3, all white, havnt built the s3 yet!)

my s8 was a dream to build into.

Just a note, any particular reason for 3x360mm rads?

I was going to do this also, but ended up getting one 60mm 360mm rad, and it cools my 5960x @ 4.5ghz and my GTX1080 Strix OC perfectly (cpu sits low 40's high 30's in game, same with the video card.

I always love going overkill, main reason i didnt go more is my s8 doesnt have the dual 360mm drop in, so i thought id try one rad, and its more then enough.

Gl with the build look forward to the photos!

3. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

Mine has the dual 360mm drop in top and also the 30mm extended top! So 2 up top and the thinner ax360 down below with the side mount.

Current system i run has 4x rx360 so with this build im actually downsizing on rad quantity already! Ive already gone from MOAR RAD to less rad. So im sticking with 3 360s as i also run custom bios on my titans and push them pretty hard at 1.3v and 1250mhz for daily gaming and the cpu at 4.7ghz so it uses plenty of power and heat.

4. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

ah, overlooked that you were cooling both your titans as well!

Hard tubing or soft? I have soft in my s8 now, but i would love to try hard tubing one day, just scared shitless, haha

Sub'd!

5. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

Im going hard tube. My last build was soft tube so its time to try hard tubing. More of a challenge this time around. Actually it will be hard tube up top and soft tube down the bottom to allow flexso i can remove the bottom rad to get to stuff down there

6. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

also i forgot to update that yesterday i bought another 1tb samsung evo 850 so i will run the 2x 1tb ssd in raid 0 as i couldnt care about the files that will be stored on the raid as it will basically be just a drive for games and downloads, pretty much anything i can replace in no time with nbn if things go sour.

but also on another note my caselabs s8 will be in my hands today therefor i will be getting started on this build tonight :weirdo::weirdo:

7. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

well my case arrived yesterday WOOHOO!!!
    so time to get started, heres a few pics of the case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i could have shown you a pile of boxes of stuff that im putting into this case, but you all know what boxes look like and i have shit spread everywhere around the house so i have just started to assemble straight away.

heres a cad design i made to cut a piece of acrylic to hide the back section of the case from wiring and psu and so on.

[​IMG]

for this section here

[​IMG]

mounted 2 of the ssd's

[​IMG]

currently at work cutting out this piece of acrylic. hope i got the measurements right!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheers for having a look :)

8. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

I have been a little slack with the updates but its hard with this being my main pc so i apologise. I do all my updates whilst im at work.

Heres some pics of what i have been up too lately. Which is not anywhere near as much as i wanted to have done but i have had family over for the last couple of nights which makes it hard.

I have finished my midplate which came out well. I notched it out for the wiring for the atx and gpu's and sata to come through. I still need to work out where to put the passthroughs on the mid plate but i will start bending some acrylic and see how tight i can get some bends which will tell me where i am going to have them go through the mid plate.

Also made a wiring cover for the aquaero as they have a lot of wires and look messy with wiring. I figured this will look better once its finished. So far im very happy with how its coming out.
    I will cover the midplate and also the wiring cover in a matt black vinyl. I think it will look best with a black wrap.

Drilled the front plate for 2 holes to mount the reservoir in the front window.

I have been trying to work out my loop order but i think i have it sorted, tonight i will play around with some tubing to see how i go.

Heres some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the second version of the wiring cover, as you can see its tighter around the radiator up top

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see the cutout i made for the wiring to pass through to the bottom section of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for checking out the build!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Looks like some interesting stuff happening:thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

well i did a terrible job of keeping this up to date didnt i lol

pretty much completed the build now, its come out well. i need to take some final photos but i will get around to that once i finish the wiring for cpu and gpu's.

basically i got it running with my old setup (i never intended to upgrade btw) and it was running for 24 hours then for some reason it went into boot looping and i cant even access the bios.

so i upgraded to a I7 6700k and a gigabyte designare board with 32gb ram.

here some pics i did of the build.

what to do with spare mdpc sata?
    [​IMG]

converter for the 24 pin so it goes upside down and stays straight from psu to mobo
    [​IMG]

cnc machined midplate
    [​IMG]

ssd tray for the caselabs s8 which is awesome as it hides under the motherboard and you never see them.
    [​IMG]

planning where the midplate holes need to be for the 24 pin and gpu cables and sata and bulkheads
    [​IMG]

Cover i cut on the cnc to cover all the horrible wires coming out of the aquaero. works very well!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cover vinyl wrapped
    [​IMG]

would have to be the best d5 pump top ever in my opinion. so compact!
    [​IMG]

starting to bend. what a nightmare
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would you like some scraps?
    [​IMG]

Bulkheads looks nice :weirdo:
    [​IMG]

midplate also vinyl wrapped
    [​IMG]

glass aquacomputer res in place
    [​IMG]

res and aquero
    i cnc machined a faceplate from caselabs out to replace the aquacomputer front plate, looks nicer sitting in the case like this.
    [​IMG]

filling the loop and getting the color right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then after i got it running i had to upgrade due to the older system retiring itself in life.
    so heres the new kit
    [​IMG]

had to make a new pipe as my ram block no long suits my new ram, oh well i got 24 hours out of that waterblock :tired:
    [​IMG]

sooooooo
    3 days after getting the new 6700k, z170x and 32gb of ram in my system this happens
    :upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

basically pipe cracked under pressure. i wasnt happy with the pipe at the start, but it was a oh well it fits move on moment, clearly a little too much pressure was on it and well it cracked.

new mobo in hand, put the system back together and got it running again with a new pipe (im happy with this one lol)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  11. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Scary moments in the build game when you see that inside your case :lol:

Looks like a sweet rig man:thumbup:

[​IMG]

12. Agg

Agg Administrator

Is it me or do the last few images not work? Looks great though. :)

13. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

cheers agg and slacker.

i just fixed up the last 2 images.

also heres a link to all the pics in my imgur on this build.

http://roamin33.imgur.com/all/

14. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

We now know where Hillary kept her emails............ now trying to get rid of the evidence :Paranoid: