Project CHERNOBYL BOX7

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sir Hermit, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

Hey Guys.

Before i start i just want to warn you, that rurning gear is almost a museum material and my goal is just to give it a fresh look while making it bit more cooler for upcoming o/c. So basically don't hold your breath lol.

CHERNOBYL BOX7.

Ok well the theme is pretty simple, i chose this title as project will be black in colour all over with red cathode lighting and fair few fans giving it the stealth/industrial/ghetto mod/old/machinery look, well I hope thats what ill have at the end. All wiring etc will be red and tidy.

Also my country of birth is Estonia which is one of the European countries that had witnessed the cloud on the day of reactors failure in the 80s. So why not go with that name for the project :)

Ok lets go:

As you can see this was also posted on Dodgy Cooling Fan thread. The case is showing its age. Slapped on server tray forcing a 5hit load of air which exhausts from front of the case through removed covers.

[​IMG]

And so it begins. Removal of the covers (sides + top + face). Notice 5 years worth of dust. The covers will be "improved/cut" and sprayed in smooth black gloss with a touch of pearl [2pak paint] but thats last on my list atm.

[​IMG]

Half blocked with dust CPU heat sink. (To which i will say thanks and bye)

[​IMG]

While i will be stripping and working on the case the guts are going to another spare case as i still need to use the comp for work.

[​IMG]

After the strip, in its naked glory. The pics are not showing properly how much of dust is through the case.

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

After the strip it was time to get ready for paint..... No way was i going to sit with a toothbrush and get all the dust out. Water did wonders!
    [​IMG]

Next morning it was time for brainstorming.The GFX card that i will be using has built in fan and fins. So why not give it some additional help and air?? (Pictured card is a dummy)

I will need to raise the case about 40mm after the cutting to allow easy air access.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the cutting it was time for undercoat and paint.
    [​IMG]

I left it for a few days and had a look through the forum. Few guys gave me an idea how to run additional fans which will be 120mm.
    The bottom of the case will need to have more cutting to allow for air supply to the fan, which if mounted like so will give air to HDD along with other parts of the motherboard.

Another 120mm fan will be mounted on the top lid and will work as an exhaust fan.

The visible black 80mm fan will give GFX card some air from the bottom of the case's floor while back of the case will have another 80mm red cathode fan pulling out the hot air.

One more red cathode fan will be mounted on the side panel of the case's window with direct air injection into the CPU rad which will also have its own fan covering two sides of the rad before allowing the hot air escape through the cathode fan on theback of the case. (Not pictured)
    Well for now thats the plan:
    [​IMG]
    Yehh go paint sketching lol. But you get the idea.

The face of the case is getting sanded in a day or so and lids are getting the hack and ready for paint before i install the windows and fain injection.

More updates to come. (Could be little slow as im flat out with work atm).

Feel free to comment :)

3. Pipster

Pipster Member

lookin good!!! is the outside going to get a good paint up?

4. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

bathing the computer? express to rustville

5. OP
    OP
    Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

Pipster: Yes the outside will be painted by a car spray painter in smooth gloss black with a touch of pearl.

There will also be modified new on/reset switch on polished stainless steel raised plate etc etc.

The fan man: The case was dried over night then undercoated and painted matt black, unless there will be extra water coming in from else where we wont see any rust ;)

6. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

classy!

yeh, even get rust preventing paint primers, must not forget the primers!!!!

i did a fantastic paint job on a case, and didnt know what a primer was :D it stripped faster than B/Spears

7. JSPEARS

JSPEARS Member

I use to get mine powder coated.No scratching or pealing,quite tough.

8. oculi

oculi Member

the fan you are pointing at the GPU cooler is upside down. thats a good way to cool GPUs though, better than the million RPM little fans.

9. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

hmm speaking of loud, that 3.8cm think 3 bladed fan (what brand? NMB? delta???) thats gonna b Fkn loud and cant be connected to mobo, draws too much current

10. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

Hey good to see some pics, looks like it's coming along well :thumbup:
    Actualy having the 120 where you placed it in the bottom is a good idea, it should keep the flow better than having it under the card since it will aid the front fan pushing towards the CPU instead of just screwing up the flow going past the rear of the GFX while the other 80mm is pushing forward.

On a side note. if you have a dead 80mm fan laying around just rip everything(cut the motor supports and all) out of the center of it and use it as a spacer for the fan under the GFX card, the closer you get that 80mm fan to that card the better.

11. OP
    OP
    Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

And i might have a spare 80 laying around actualy great idea :D... Just had a thought, what if i make a false floor to hide the thickness of the two fans??

12. biasasaja

biasasaja Member

those fans look noisy >.< but at least they will get the job done :)

13. JSPEARS

JSPEARS Member

Since every one now can see exactly what the case looks like in it’s stripped down form and this case design is all we had 7-8 years ago.
    I could have suppied you with a working formula using this:
    You need a 120mm variable speed fan for rear extraction
    One fan adapter 80 to 120mm for rear
    80mm hole saw for the front and a wire grill.In other words you can see directly into the case from the front,no fan.
    I won’t go in-depth on the exact set up but you probably get the general idea.

Cut away front and back perforated mess using tin snips.
    It would have been quiet and efficient

I was trying to think what was the problem we had placing a fan at the top of the case.
    PSU started to cook as the PSU couldn’t draw air out of it’s own housing due to the 80mm fan placed so close.

14. OP
    OP
    Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

Today it was time to chop into the window cover :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. frigger

frigger Member

looking good so far! nice job

16. OP
    OP
    Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

Will get better tho.

17. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

This is looking good I'll make sure to keep an eye on this.

18. sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

have you allowed for where the acrylic will meet left side chassis bit?, you know where you slide it all in and the left sode of the panel sits on the corner of the chassis?, is there enough room between that and ur acrylic?, or is the acrylic for the window going on the outside of the case?

19. OP
    OP
    Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

The acrylic had heaps of room, therefore the un-even space in the side panel. So yeh all good.

BTW... have some news. Wife bought me a new case so the project is taking a slight turn. Same theme/concepts but on a newer case :D Looks like this project will transform to CHERNOBYL BOX7.2 ;)

The new case will also allow me an extra thing or two to do on top of what i was doing to this one. As far as BOX7 , i might just give it a quick finish with mat black, throw in the window and throw it on ebay for a few bucks.