Project: CLASSIFIED

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Razor540, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Razor540

Razor540 Member

[​IMG]

I'll be updating this project log over the coming weeks as I put together my new system. I hope to achieve a build that runs stably at 4Ghz (& possibly beyond) with absolutely minimal noise.
    I have ordered most parts but not everything has been delivered yet. For now, a first sneak peak at the core components. More details and photos will follow soon...

[​IMG]

[16th July]

I've used ASUS mainboards for many years but EVGA's Classified won me over. It's an awesome motherboard and seemed just right for my plans.

Core specs are:

EVGA X58 Classified Socket 1366
    Intel Xeon W3520
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB DDR3 1866Mhz
    EVGA GTX 295 1796MB
    WD 1TB Caviar Black
    Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W
    Lian Li V1110 Case
    [​IMG]

I have pondered quite some time over water cooling options. There are some wicked mods on this forum but in the end I felt cutting holes into the Lian Li was not for me. I also want this build to be as quiet as possible and getting 7x120mm radiator cooling power inside a mid tower case with good air circulation... maybe not?! b@llZ0r pointed me into Aqua Computers direction and they had the perfect product for my needs. The Aquaduct is an external cooling tower with two triple radiators, pump, reservoir and control electronics all integrated into one unit. Made in Germany, the Aquaduct is well engineered and built - pump with ceramic bearing, fan & pump speed controlled based on sensor input. Can run automatically or be tweaked to preference. More details are on the product page

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2185

Lian Li's V1110 is actually not a small case but the Aquaduct dwarfs it sitting side by side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[20th July]

More water cooling gear has arrived and I realized I've ordered the wrong pump adapters. Doh! Hopefully it won't take too long to track down the right ones..

In the end I decided for 3/4" OD hose with 1/2" ID to restrict flow as little as possible. The matching fittings are supposedly "black sparkle" but they look silver in real life. Still good looking and well made, they go nicely with the waterblocks. The water cooling outfit was selected from Aqua Computer, Koolance, Watercool and Bitspower products. Still need to decide on a low fpi single 120mm radiator that goes on the back of the case. Kinda the dot on the i =) I'll draw up a diagram of the WC system a bit later this week.

Koolance X58 Classified Block
    Koolance GTX295 Single PCB Block
    Watercool Heatkiller 3 (might get this nickel plated to match)
    Aquastream XT Ultra Pump (as 2nd pump)
    --Ceramic Bearing
    --12V powered
    --Controlled via USB
    --Internal pump + water temp sensor
    --External flow + water temp sensor
    --Fan controller
    --Sits on a 'Shoggy' sandwich |neoprene|sponge|neoprene|
    Primochill Red Hose
    Bitspower Fittings 3/4" - 1/2" (various, mostly straight)
    NoiseBlocker Multiframe S3 fans
    --NanoSLI bearings
    --Rubber mounting corners
    [​IMG]

[30th July]

The Xeon and Dell screens arrived today. Looking forward to the weekend :)

[5th August]

Got the Heatkiller backplate and pump adapters now as well as some other goodies...
    Ummm.... I think I got everything now. Hang on :) one huge parcel is inbound from the US of A. It's not really a typical component, anyone wanna take a guess?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

Sweet hardware :)

3. The Joe

The Joe Member

Look to evga for sponsorship of the project imo :thumbup:

4. Lil Flipp

Lil Flipp Member

+1 :thumbup::thumbup:

5. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

I assume there is going to be more than just one GTX295 in the build?

6. Sil

Sil Member

I got all excited when i saw the thread name and I wasnt let down when i saw the first post :cool::cool:

I hope your getting an EK Full board block for that classified. Its the best thing we ever did :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  7. [AOB]TommO

[AOB]TommO Member

Sounds like a nice system... subscribed.

8. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

someone certainly likes EVGA hehe

looks good and its interesting to see the triplehead2go... not often u see that in a build!

9. F3L1X

F3L1X Member

yeah i hope your going to watercool the board and the single pcb 295's

10. b00n

b00n Member

nice hardware. the classifieds seems to be popping up everywhere now. what case you be using?

11. mojododo

mojododo Member

nice system specs mate, certainly be lookin in on this one!

are you going to continue the evga red/black theme throughout?

12. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Y would you want to use a triple head2go

it limits each monitor to something like 1280X1024 which is a problem when you are using 16:10/16:9 monitors

i also think thats its a bit to much hassle to get games to work on it (every time a patch comes out you have to wait a few weeks for a game fix to come out)

13. phantom220

phantom220 Member

The digital edition of the TripleHead2Go gives you two monitors @ 1650x1080 from memory. Still, I'd rather just have a single 30" monitor to game on.

14. OP
    OP
    Razor540

Razor540 Member

Log updated

Yes, the motherboard set the theme and by some strange coincidence, all other parts came in the same color combo. So black + red it is :D

At this stage, I don't plan to have a case window but if it turns out as quiet as I hope, I might run it with open side when I feel like it. I am more after a refined, classy look rather than bling bling.

Had an Enermax PSU years ago and strangly this one has me as excited as the Aquaduct. It has this cool coating unlike normal paint.. I'll post up some pics tonight. I bought it based on efficiency and low noise (still pumps out 1050W though).

Corsair's memory came in a very plain box with product code hand-written on the side. Bit disappointed in terms of packaging but let's see how the modules perform.

15. mojododo

mojododo Member

almost right, the digital edition you can run 2 monitors @ 1920x1200 or 3 @ 1650x1080.

problem is, you have to find specific monitors with a certain hz refresh to do it. (many online lists to help choose which monitors WILL do it - small list of 100% can work)

ive used the th2g on a racing cockpit and it is freaking awesome, so much better than 1 screen. flight sims are also a heap better.

16. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Awesome hardware man. Looks like a great build.

17. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

I wish some of these commercial worklogs would use ATI GPU's I'm sick of seeing GTX295's in every cool worklog.

Nevertheless, looks interesting.

18. MadMonkOfFunk

MadMonkOfFunk Member

Subscribed... i'm very jealous of your hardware. Why did you choose the i7 920 though? The Intel XEON W3520 would have been a better choice as your looking for a 4GHz stable OC.

19. F3L1X

F3L1X Member

nah you can achieve 4ghz stable with 920, just have to be good ;) haha

20. MadMonkOfFunk

MadMonkOfFunk Member

It can, but you need a good chip. If you look at Dreamaxx's rig, she got 4.2GHz stable OC (IIRC) with the XEON. It was just a question though.