Project Code: Tabeee MK 1

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Bismar, Jul 5, 2008.

1. HELL_HOUND

HELL_HOUND Member

+1 for support, this should be great!

2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Hay mate this looks awsome!!! Oh and I got here via engadget, so that is double awsome!

3. matarael

matarael Member

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Member

You're also on hackaday too. Go go OCAU.

5. glasnt

glasnt Member

6. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

i hope you make it to the finish line buddy looks far to complex for anything i could ever hope in achieving good luck. maybe im looking to far into it but maybe show it off at the modding websites get some sponsorship :D

7. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Holy crap, i'm not sure wether to shoot or shake the hand of the person who referred this mod to those two sites, it seems that i managed some 11k views in just 12 hours 0_o. Now i feel obligated to hurry up with the mod lol.

Anyways stay tune for more updates tonight, gotta buy some JB-Weld from Super Cheap Auto first.

Right now there's 10 members online and 110 guests and 109 people are viewing the modding forum :p Hope Agg doesn't shoot me for the extra traffic this site has gotten :) Don't suppose you have a traffic chart Agg?

8. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Heh, thanks for your support, but this isn't exactly complicated, due to the lack of certain power tools, disc/belt sander and a circular saw, this project is more of a test bench for my second Tabeee mod which is being planned as we speak :).

9. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Ok this is annoying, just called up the nearest Bunnings, Kmart, Repco, Super Cheap Auto, Home Hardware stores and they all don't stock J-B weld.........

Fun anyone else in Melbourne know where to get some?

10. Ultra PeePi

Ultra PeePi Member

jb weld is just a brand of epoxy isn't it? just pick any other epoxy glue that suits.

11. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Many charts, not many public tho. :) Traffic is good, btw. I submitted this thread to reddit and digg last night also, doesn't seem to have been very popular there tho. Plenty of other blogs linking it however.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  12. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

Nice work fella - keep us updated.

Keen to see how it works out!

13. aamp

aamp Member

Noob

Like the mod mate. I've been wondering whether it would be worth turning my 701 into a slate too. My idea was to attach the screen bezel to the bottom section in place of the keyboard bezel. It looks like it should fit fine. The hinge plastic would need trimming and the lack of screw holes would be a problem - maybe some nice looking tape would do the trick - chrome tape... It'll look like a big iPhone then :D

- What OS do you intend to install, XP or Vista?
    - Have you got a place for a stylus in mind (if you intend to take notes etc)?

I would require a keyboard every now and then and the XP TIP isn't very good for finger input. Have you seen a good soft-keyboard to replace the XP one?

Cheers!

14. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Nope, a little different as mentioned in my updated post.

Worklog updated in 4th post. Stay Tuned for more.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  15. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Good luck with your mod, you'll never know till you try! I hope i will inspire more people out there, as there is so much untapped potential in the touchscreens you can buy. As for a keyboard you can simply buy a rollable rubber usb keyboard.

And for an OS i will be using eeebuntu.

Stylus location is currently a secret :)

16. Wshlist

Wshlist New Member

2mm nuts

Wanted to mention in regards to the 2MM nuts/bolts, you can find those not at the hardwarestore but in electronics stores I found, just in case someone is looking for some, somehow a person tends to look for such in hardware stores I found even though they are most often used in electronics, but it seems a number of electronics stores sell them but very few hardwarestores, at least in my part of the world.

17. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Jaycar is an electronics store :)

18. slamaa

slamaa Member

Very nice Bismar, the black looks all nice an flush now with the bending machine you made :thumbup:

19. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

Wow, this is looking even more awesome by the day. Take careful measurements of the build-up process, you will be able to sell more of these when it's done.

20. aamp

aamp Member

Thanks for the encouragement Bismar, I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty even on such a small scale. I'm assuming then that the touchscreen will just be used to control the mouse in eeebuntu? Or do you use touch enabled software of some sort?

A rollable k/b would just be a hassle to carry around. I'd rather use an on screen keyboard of some sort. Or maybe I'll move the screen up and mod a little thumb-board in portrait mode (like the Wibrain UMPCs).

Now to pry the eee pc from the wife...