Project Code: Tabeee MK 1

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Bismar, Jul 5, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Yep most OS mouse pointers are controlled by the touchscreen by default once the correct drivers have been installed. Windows itself has an onscreen keyboard but thats kinda useless for a 7" screen.

What i am planning to do is find hand writing recognition programs for linux, i'm sure they exist out there similar to the one you get on windows with a drawing tablet. Why type when you can write :p

2. aamp

aamp Member

Coz I type faster than I can write!

Let me know how it goes. I may give eeebuntu a go!

3. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Heh, can you type formulas faster then you can write :) That's going to be a very useful feature for me as my silly uni course has 2 maths unit this coming semster :(

4. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I was thinking about where I could get one of these the other day. Damn awesome for the 2 hour train commute I have to suffer through daily to work.

I was thinking though, how hard would it be to get the eeepc and just make the screen rotate horizontally and fold back over the keyboard? That would be a little more versatile.

5. aamp

aamp Member

Hmmm formulas...good point. I use stylus input mainly for jotting small notes, annotations and the odd eureka moment. My writing isn't very fast for note taking in lectures though (hand hurts after a few lines!), don't know how I got through uni :)

To allow the screen to fold over you'd have to find a Tablet PC hinge somewhere. Maybe you could replace the hinge on one side?

Bismar, looking at the eee casing, it probably wouldn't be great because of the wedge shape. So I guess making a new case is kinda necessary. Maybe a mesh case...or laser cut the top, bottom and side panels and screw them to corner pieces...hmm...I'll have to see how you get on...;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

Windows XP Tablet Edition has an education plug-in, one major part of which is formula hand-writing recognition software. I tried it with every obscure mathematics formula I could remember from many years ago in high school and it worked pretty well.

It might prove to be easier to find a way to use that rather than going the linux route.

From a quick google search it seems that handwriting software to handle formulae are pretty popular so there's a good chance there is a linux one available.

7. Anarki

Anarki Member

Nice work!

I'm confused as to where the heatsink will go, or what you're planning to do about dissipating the heat?

8. Session

Session Member

He is making copper heatsinks and use the shell as another heatsink.

9. Meddish

Meddish Member

Love this mod so far, just make sure that u get the biggest battery for the size uve got to put it in, as upgradeing the battery in the PC after the fact is wastefull!!

(also a after thought i had for my 'mobile' PC have a spot for a 'external' backup battery!! (just in case u want some more power on the GO!))

10. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Whilst the battery isn't the biggest you can buy, i am happy with the stock model, as it provides excellent battery time considering its weight. Bigger models are out there, and if your worried that i might have compatibility issues, rest assured, that i'll be using the same mounting options as the vanilla eee, so whatever fits into a eee pc, will fit into mine :p

11. matarael

matarael Member

Complimentary arse-kiss and inform of my interest in this thread and subsequent subscription.

Keep it up man :)

12. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Updated in 4th, 5th and 53rd post.... I think i will pm a mod to help me get more reserved spaces to preserve the flow of the worklog.

13. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

There's no limit on the size of posts, so you should be able to add more info to the early reserved ones.. or move one onto the end of another etc. I can't add a post inbetween two existing ones in a thread. :(

14. Meddish

Meddish Member

dont know if a mod can help, but what i did in my work log is @ the bottom of each post id hot link to the next post makes it easier for readers.....

and yep worklogs ive found take more time the the mod its self!

EDIT: also dont go editing old post's most of us subscribe, and dont go back and check old posts.... i almost missed them...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  15. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Umm, the updated stuff have now been squashed into the 3rd and 4th post.

16. OP
    OP
    Bismar

Bismar Member

Hmm great, the powerbook button i received was a little smaller then i thought, might have to call up stores again to see if they have any broken Macbook Pro cases again :/

Don't spose anyone on this forums have one.

17. Meddish

Meddish Member

any more updates?

18. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

What a bunch of wankers on that engadget site. :thumbdn:

Stupid americans.

19. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anything happen to this?

20. elstado

elstado Member