The Christmas Steam sales boosted my game collection a fair bit. One of the games I picked up was Street Fighter 4. So I'm building a arcade joystick / fighter stick to play sitting on my desk or lap. I have done a painted case mod before and build my own sub box for my car, but nothing like this. I have split the work-log into 3 posts 1 - Introduction, design & making the box 2 - Electronics 3 - Installing the buttons and finished product Here is the initial design idea rendered in Cinema 4D Click to view full size! To design the button layout I placed my hands in a natural position on a piece of paper, then marked where my fingers liked to land when I tapped. Revision 1: I changed the size of the box smaller. I don't want it to be bigger then my keyboard (both for usage and storage). I have also moved the buttons closer together to hopefully make it easier to press the buttons. Click to view full size! After some (not so) careful designing and measuring I marked up the MDF Click to view full size! and started cutting with my cheapo jigsaw. Note that I am terrible at working with wood and probably did everything in the most inefficient and backwards way possible. Click to view full size! This is where I noticed that my careful measuring had been a little un-careful. The back piece is about 2cm too short. Luckily my piece of MDF was large enough to cut another piece (measure once, buy enough wood for when you stuff up). Click to view full size! After some rough sanding, drilling, gluing and splitting the wood because the drill holes were too small, the box is starting to look like a box, sort of. Its a a little rough around the edges. Click to view full size! Click to view full size! Now for the filling and sanding bit. I used crack filler for plasterboard for the large gaps, mostly because I had some lying around. I then used spray putty (the pinkish stuff) and filler primer (the beige stuff) Click to view full size! i was originally going to have the sides come up above the the edges a little, but I decided to sand it down and (try) to get a flat finish. Click to view full size! After 1 coat of primer filler sanded back Click to view full size! 2nd coat of primer Click to view full size! Sanded back. Its starting to look and feel smooth now. I had been using 100 and 200 grit sandpaper until now. This is with 400. It feels smooth except for a few of the joints where it is barely noticeable. Click to view full size! I was busy doing other things for about a week so I have only just gotten around to drilling the holes. Click to view full size! I used a 28mm spade drill and it was a lot easier then I expected. I did have an issue with the buttons being so close to the top, meaning they will hit the inside support of the back panel. I have tried chiseling it out and hopefully it will be OK. Click to view full size! I put another coat of primer on before starting with the painting. I used car touch up paint and applied 4 coats, waiting 30 mins in between each coat. I sanded back the 2nd and 4th coat with 1200 grit wet and dry, and cleaned of with wax and grease remover. Click to view full size! You can still faintly see the edges of the joints if you look for them but overall I am happy with the result Click to view full size! Because this will cop a fair amount of punishment I have done a couple of clear coats which will hopefully give it some protection. I did 2 coats then gave it a very light sand with wet 1200 grit and cleaned it again before applying the last coat. Click to view full size! I would describe the finish as satin. It looks almost matte from some angles but does give a blurry reflection to up close objects. Click to view full size! Click to view full size!