1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project: DrawPC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mistikal, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Hi guys,

The original DrawPC was first constructed around 5-6 years ago, by myself, and used on a daily basis. A time came when I had to retire the "case" (if you'd call it that) and move to a smaller system as the overall size of the DrawPC was too big for the area available.

The DrawPC was the relegated to the spare room, where it has sat for a number of years, until now.

Around 6 months ago, my father decided he was going to upgrade his PC to something a little spiffier, but hadn't decided what to do with his existing PC. As mine was very old and starting to show signs of neglect, I asked if he'd let me use it.

Whilst shopping around on the net for a new case, it dawned on me - why not resurrect the old DrawPC, now that I have the space?

Well here it is...

The (slightly dated) system consists of:

Intel Pentium 4 541J (C2D 3.2Ghz)
    4096MB DDR2-667 RAM
    Asus P5WD2-Premium Motherboard
    ATi Radeon X800-XT 256MB Video Card
    120GB + 300GB Seagate Hard Drives
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    420W ATX PSU
    Few other bits and bobs

I did have a whole pile of pictures of the draws being modified from their original state, but they were lost in a hard drive crash around 2 years ago and have never been recovered.

Here's how it sits today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to tidy things up a bit when I have some spare time, until then, it'll do :)

andy

2. serioussam10

serioussam10 Member

gotta love those wheels...

3. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

That's great better than my attempt motherboard psu hdd sitting in draw with a hole for cables.:D

4. deathsgt60

deathsgt60 Member

that's pretty cool.

5. japes

japes Member

Nicely done.

Can I ask the point of it though? Looks like a big unit, and for what benefit? To not have a case visible in your room?

6. OP
    OP
    Mistikal

Mistikal Member

No point really, just wanted something a tad different :)

Everything actually on it, like wheels, grills, etc etc... all dated stuff. Need to get some new fans for the front, as one of them is dead.

andy

7. OP
    OP
    Mistikal

Mistikal Member

8. kathshan

kathshan Member

hey there mate nice mod
    couple of suggestions bit of spiral binding would work wonders on those cables
    and keep an eye on the council clean ups for an old atx and hack it up for the psu backplate and use in yours a fascia panel
    all in all nice mod and plenty of patience something i dont have with my build at the moment

9. OP
    OP
    Mistikal

Mistikal Member

The main problem I have with the PSU is that the wood is rather thick, and it's hard to find screws that reach all the way thru to the PSU, which is why the ol' Cable Ties came in handy ;) I used to have 4 screws that reached, but have lost them over the years.

I'm looking at getting a better PSU over the coming weeks, and I'll be sleeving the cables (if I don't buy one already done).

I'm also thinking of making the cables really long, so I can put them where I want them to go with no issues on length, just to tidy stuff up.

andy

10. kathshan

kathshan Member

tell me what length screws you need i have some longer ones lying around from previous projects
    cheers shane