1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Fallen Storms

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Qumulys, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Qumulys

Qumulys Member

Ok here is my setup I've built from scratch. It took me around 6 weeks, cause I'm a single dad in a wheelchair which made things a tad challenging, but heaps of fun too. I've only just finished putting my pc (temporarily) together, just to get up and running, 6 weeks without a pc was murder! Ok on with the show, heres the details.

Pc Components
    Asus P5B premium vista mobo
    Core 2 Duo e6600
    2GB Corsair 6400 800mhz
    2 x seagate 320gb
    2 x wd 250gb in raid 0
    Thermaltake toughpower 750w
    9700led cooler
    XFX 7800gt (ill upgrade when prices improve a bit on the newer cards)
    2xBenQ fp91g+ lcd's
    Razor Tarantula keyboard
    Logitech Mx wireless mouse
    Canon mp760 printer

Music kit list
    ESI Juli@ soundcard for recording/playback, Yamaha SY-85 synth, Behringer UB 2442 fx mixer, Behringer Composer compressor, Yamaha MD8 minidisk recorder, Digitech rp2000 guitar effects, Yamaha bass, Godin SX electric guitar, Rokit 8's powered monitors, Rokit 10s subwoofer, shure sm57 microphone, Grado SR-80 headphones and numerous percussion things.

The desk I made out of MDF, and finished in japan black after a black stain, the purpose of the desk was to eliminate as much noise as possible, so the only thing I see of my pc is the dvd drive which sits flush in the wall of the desk.

Building the desk pics:-
    The challenge I had was that being wheelchair bound meant I couldnt move it around, so it had to be built in one, big, big, unit. It will be impossible to remove it from my studio, unless its cut in half...

Starting the build
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Half built
    [​IMG]

Further building, and test fitting music gear, note the post office type slot? Thats for my dvd drive, the pc sits in behind that door under the desk.
    [​IMG]

To add a bit of fiddly fun, I made many layers to pile crap on, heres the right corner.
    [​IMG]

When it came to painting, I was a tad worried, black stain, japan black, in the room, with a unit so heavy it couldnt be lifted for a drop sheet, so I jammed whatever I could under lever style, then painted, thank god I didnt get any on the carpet, but I had a wee accident on the wall...
    [​IMG]

Completed setup pics!
    Ok, heres the whole setup finished, being black, its hard to see the details tho...
    [​IMG]

The right corner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres my pilot seat area...
    [​IMG]

Heres the left side, with keyboard set into desk, tilting shelf above it, small shelf to the left, and another cupboard, printer goes underneath.
    [​IMG]

Actual computer pics :-
    I brought a dremel today!! So the pc isnt gonna stay like it is for long
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yep, im gonna fix up the wiring a little tidier soon. hope I inspire some of you guys to build you own desks around your computers, I know I've been inspired by what you modders do. In the next few weeks, I'll be adding windows, etched mirrors and glass, and building the pc into the structure as well... Hope it goes well!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. TMM

TMM Member

The desk is awesome! :thumbup:

How are the PCs temperatures? It doesn't look like there is anywhere for hot air to escape in there, or is there a fair gap between the desk and the wall?

3. OP
    OP
    Qumulys

Qumulys Member

Well, temps are a little bit of a problem, well, they are less of a problem now I upgraded believe it or not. I noticed my WD drives were feeling quite hot to the touch, and when I checked I pooped myself when one of them was 72c! Since then I modded my case a bit to put a 120mm fan in front of the wd's, I also put hd coolers on the wd's, there now around 54c which is better. But my two seagates run at around 36c, so big a difference there. Once my kids are back at school, I've got some ducting that will run through the back of the desk, and into the garage. My cpu stays quite good, around 35c ish. The prob is the more air hole I put into it, the more noise leaks out which aint to good for recording. But, my new mod should fix some issues.... to be continued! lol

4. Izshingunz

Izshingunz Member

I salute you :) Awsome work... If I lived in melb I'd have to come and see it myself!

5. OP
    OP
    Qumulys

Qumulys Member

Yep I'm in outer Melb tho, out Berwick Pakenham way, but if you'd like to come check it out, no probs! :) I've only just joind ocau, so I suppose just send me a message and I'll try to find where it is. Thanks for your comments both of you! :D

6. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Awesome stuff mate, looks the goods :thumbup: I recognise the Behringer compressor and the mixer, a mate uses the same gear (8ch mixer tho). Has this been moved from another location or is this a completely new setup?

7. samwise123

samwise123 Member

gezz man great work. love to see more soon.

8. Kenetixx

Kenetixx (Banned or Deleted)

Rawsome work there :thumbup:
    Have you got any of your music up to listen to?

9. OP
    OP
    Qumulys

Qumulys Member

Well, I had some of this gear set up in my old house, but that was at the end of my couch like this http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h17/CloudoftheFallen/cloudysitshere.jpg
    but, I decided to see if everything fit, and then got lazy and never finished it! :) But the best thing with that setup was when you sat watching tv and a heard a song, you could download it while its fresh in yer mind. But it was annoying in that you had to twist around to see the screen. That old house was a rental and had no room for a serious setup.
    I dont have any of my music on the net yet, I've got some kicking about but I havn't uploaded any of them and I'm not happy with them either. But I've started work on a proper album, so I'll let you all know. Thanks again for the comments eveyone! :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  10. OP
    OP
    Qumulys

Qumulys Member

Oh, well, its kind of stuck here now its too big and heavy to lift, and its too wide to even turn in the room, plus it wont fit out the door! So the good thing is when I move house, I'll get to hack it up and build a new one. I guess not all mods are practical.... oh well :)

11. Jesta

Jesta Member

wow :eek: thats awesome:D , care to give a rough idea of how much that set you back

12. OP
    OP
    Qumulys

Qumulys Member

I was quite surprised, all up with all the MDF framing and paints, it was around $450... It is my music gear which costs the money... At a quick glance theres around 7-8000 worth of gear, its probably more than that, but thats what i tell myself so I dont have a heart attack.

13. alvarez

alvarez Member

Fracking awesomw very well done sir. Im am genuinely impressed with this.
    I wiah I had 8000-9000 for that kind of gear.

14. yoink

yoink Member

Nice work :thumbup:
    Can we hear some of the music you make at this desk? :)

15. Ignignort

Ignignort Member

Awesome setup, great work :thumbup:

16. khendar

khendar Member

Looks sweet :)

How have you joined it all together ? Wouldn't it have been an easy matter to build it using screws in a few pieces - allowing it to be moved if necessary.

17. zetaplus

zetaplus Member

Fucking awesome work man! Nice monitors also, I have the V6s ;)

18. CaveDog

CaveDog Member

The paint job looks shmick! What brand paint did you use? Are you worried any of it will rub off at all?

Awesome looking setup mate. Congrats.

19. Kippa-Dee

Kippa-Dee Member

Inspirational. I'm jealous, and I'm sure my father would be when he sees it. That's a superb setup dude

20. OP
    OP
    Qumulys

Qumulys Member

Frame is all screwed inside, then the mdf is nailed and screwed depending on where it is (and glued). Yeah, it would be easy to just buy a few bits and screw them together, but, honestly, it would have just been another boring desk. This one was great fun for me to make and I dont have that much money, so changing things wont be much of a problem, I've had my synth for example since 1995. I'll never sell that, its a classic nowadays and its second hand price value is actually going back up again now!