Project: Help me build my computer!

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by duncangel, Feb 9, 2007.

1. duncangel

duncangel Member

Hey guys,

After using my 12" Asus W5A as my main computer for the last 2 years, mainly for the convenience of taking it to high school, I am now in need of a computer desktop for the new house.

I will be looking to spend around $3000, although over the last few customising attempts, I've seen to get a $5500 total price.

Basically for now, I have a few months before the actual purchase, and am trying to learn a bit more. So I'm going to post a whole bunch of questions, and then hope you guys can please answer some or just link me if it's too much trouble.

Thanks in advance!

OBJECTIVE!

• Latest processor power
    • Ready to play games at high capacity
    • TV tuner to record TV
    • HDMI output from video card?
    • Possible to output video to amplifier? (not important)
    • Big widescreen monitor - gaming ready
    • Fast enough to edit videos and do other things
    • Graphics to equal or better PS3
    • Wifi? Bluetooth 2? A lot of USB
    • Not too noisy
    • Doesn't have to be small (sits under table)

Okay I think that's it for now! ;)

2. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

PROCESSOR
    1. What are the differences between AMD 64 and Intel Core Duo
    - You mean architecture wise or performance wise? The king of the hill is the Core 2 Due range at the moment, i'd aim for a E6600 ($445 atm but should drop a little when you are ready for your PC)

2. What are the differences between the systems on this link: http://www.pcmarket.com.au/systems.php?systype=BTO ? For example there are 3 AMDs, what's the difference?
    -Didn't bother looking at link in too much detail, it allows you to chose all your components though from what i saw, in which case the difference is what you make it.

3. I basically want to play high-end games with ease, and edit videos without lag which my laptop does give me sometimes.
    - An E6600 is perfect for that (it's dual core), playing games is another thing, a 8800GTS will let you play all the latest games with the eye candy on, depending on how big your screen is, it also provides DX10 support, price is $600 at minimum but should drop when ATI release their competition the R600.

CASE
    4. What is the most important thing about the case? Any better brands? I'm more interested in a better looking one than anything else, is that okay?
    - Pick whatever you like the look of then, others value cooling ability and quietness, it's really up to the individual.

MOTHERBOARD
    5. What exactly does the motherboard do? Main purposes?
    - It ties everything together, everything connects to it and the mobo provides the medium for communication as well as managing memory etc etc, google it if you want to know more.

6. Just having a look at the Asus motherboard section, I see: ATI, Intel, nVidia, nVidia nForce 680SLI, SIS and VIA. I really have no idea what the hell this is. So someone please recommend something to me that will suit my needs. What benefits will I get if I get an expensive motherboard?
    - Dont bother going too expensive unless you are planning on overclocking (which from the sound of your knowledge you shouldn't try).
    Different motherboard support different chips, for example you need two different boards for AMD and Intel CPU's, so the processor you chose will rule out half the motherboards. SLI is if you plan on having two graphics cards (for your budget that's a no), most boards support some form of SLI these days anyway, some better than others, for you it's not an issue. SIS/VIA, meh, ignore that.

7. Would any of the other compartments be affected by the motherboard?
    - Depends on your case, usually no, cases are designed to fit all motherboards, just be aware of full form motherboards or micro boards etc (for those small pcs)

POWER SUPPLY
    8. What brand usually does good in power supply?
    - Antec, Silverstone, almost anything with a brand name actually. Most people i know go for Antec because they are available everywhere and are reliable.

9. More watts means more power? But more noise right? Or uses more electricity? What should I be looking for?
    - You need a certain wattage to power the components, i'd say you need a 500W powersupply these days if you follow my recomendations above. The important thing is the efficiency of the PSU, as well as the voltage on the 12 volt rails (the big things liek graphics cards and CPU draw off this rail). Cheap PSU's might have a high wattage rating but poor 12 Volt rails, keep that in mind.

10. Does the size of the power supply matter?
    - Yes see above.

11. Does ATX have any importance?
    - Well sorta, but you wont be going for a micro-atx setup.

12. What is SLI ready?
    - SLI is two nvidia graphics cards, in your budget i dont think you'll fit it so dont worry about it too much. SLI ready PSU's usually have a higher 12V rail capacity so you knwo they can run two cards without any power issues. It's a marketing label used to promote power supplies.

MEMORY
    13. Any difference if the memory is split? I.e. 2x1gb vs. 1x2gb
    - Not really, you'll just have an extra slot to fill later on if you desire. Most people would say go 2 X 1gb kits because they work out cheaper.

14. Any leading brands?
    - Corsair are good but expensive, GSkill have a good reputation also but are newer, A-DATA is a brand that MSY sell, cheap as dirt but people say they have good results with them. Kingston is a brand i'll be going with, only because they are cheap cheap and i havent heard anything bad about them.

15. The higher Mhz values mean faster right?
    - Yes, but if you arent overclocking dont bother with the 800Mhz stuff, 667 is as high as you need to go.

16. What does the value next to PC mean?
    - Denotes their cheaper RAM, usually it's the stuff that wont overclock as high as the other stuff or runs at slower latency, it doesnt matter THAT much though.

17. Is 2GB still overkill? I remember a few years ago it was...What would I need 2gb for?
    - 2gb is standard for people on here, thats what most people will get and considering you can get 2gb for $200 (the kingston ones ill be getting) why not? Vista will use it.

HARD DRIVE
    18. Any leading brands? I seem to find WD cheapest...is that right?
    - WD and seagate rule this area, just pick one, not that much difference.

19. Any big difference between 7200rpm and 10,000rpm? What would I need to be doing to benefit from 10,000rpm?
    - 10K rpm will load things slightly faster, people really into gaming etc feel the need to have this snappy speed (i think it's a bit of a wank personally), for the extra price you pay it's not worth going for the 10K rpm drives, stick with the 7200rpm.

20. SATA2 is the fastest one out there right?
    - SATA2 is SATA with a few other extras tacked on as far as im aware, bus speed or something like that. Go with the drives that say they are SATA2, 3gb/sec bandwidth or whatever it is.

21. Mirror and duplexing? - Does that mean even if i have 2x500GB, I can only utilise 500GB? Because it is just mirrored onto the other one?
    - That's right. It mirrors one onto the other, so if one fails you still have another one to fall back on. Some people use RAID0 which will allow the full 1TB of data, but if one drive fails you'll lose the data on the other one as well so be warned.

22. Is it often easy to lose data on a hard drive? If I store home videos and photos, should I be mirroring?
    - I've never had a problem in 5 years with this machine, some people swear by it, the bottom line is if it is something you couldn't afford to lose then make sure you back it up to DVD/CD/USB as well as having it on your hard drive.

23. Would you ever put a 10GB hard drive in just for the operating system? Does that make it faster?
    - Not worth it in my opinion, some people buy a Raptor 10,00rpm drive for their operating system but again, it's more money for little gain. Just partition your hard drive to have a C: and a D: if you want a logical separation. You will however see a slight gain in using two drives, the jury is still out on that one in my opinion.

OPTICAL DRIVES
    24. Any one here use 2 optical drives? Any benefits? I only recall that you can burn something direct from one drive. Is there anything else?
    - Nope, that's about the only reason you'd do it. Back in the day when burners were expensive people had 2 drives, that way they wouldn't wear out the burner for general use. Now that drives are all pretty much the same price wise just use the burner for everyday stuff, however, depends on the money, if you can buy another drive why not?

VIDEO CARD
    25. What are some gfx cards I can look at that are equal or better to PS3?
    - Fuck dont start this, do some research on how console cards work, you wont match their perfomance with a computer because they process differently. You will not match a PS3 for graphics power with a PC yet. Your closest bet would be a 8800GTX, that will cost you $900+

26. PCI-Express is a good thing right?
    - Yes, stay away from AGP, it's old technology.

27. Any cards with HDMI-out?
    - Most of the top of the range ones

28. Is there a difference between HDMI-out and HDTV-out?
    - Technically yes, real world, i dont think so. HDTV is used for TV talk though, HDMI is for consoles etc. (not 100% sure, google this one maybe)

29. Why would you have 2 graphics cards in your computer?
    - More powaaaah

30. I see a lot of video cards being made by different brands? I'm not sure how to say this, but when I had my GeForce4 MX440 (ages ago), there were difference brands in front of that name. Any leading brands? Does it matter?
    - The new 8800 series cards are all the exact same just a different sticker so you go for the warranty or bundled software when making your decision. For older cards (7000 series) then there is a difference. ASUS are good but expensive, XFX are a high performance brand who are cheapish. Id stay away from Palit/MSI purely because they seem cheap and nasty (my opinion only)

31. How does the memory of the video card affect anything? For my needs, will 512MB be enough? What would I need to do to want more memory?
    - Higher screen resolutions will need more memory usually, 512 should be enough for todays games, the 8800GTS mentioned earlier has 640mb though so if you want to push for higher screen resolutions and detail levels then the more the better.

SOUND CARD
    32. Sound cards with a front panel - does that mean the main speaker volume knobs don't have to be sitting next to me? Because ideally, I don't want speakers on my table!
    - I find those front panel sound cards to be a wank, you pay through the nose for stuff you can do with a remote or your keyboard anyway. Depends what you do though, some people use them to plug instruments etc into.

33. Do the higher end sound cards really make a difference? I'm basically listening to music (and probably more with my network music system via amp at my TV so this is probably not even necessary) or playing games. And I don't care TOO MUCH about the sound in games, just sound is enough.
    - Stick to onboard if you aren't picky about all that, most people cant tell the difference but i've never used onboard sound so i wouldn't know.

TV TUNER CARD
    34. What would be the reason to have dual tv tuner cards? I placed 2 antenna sockets in the wall just in case already anyway.
    - No reason i can think of, i think some cards let you watch two channels but with only one antenna connection, not 100% sure as i havent tried it yet (my TV card is still on its way)

35. I would just connect to RF right? To antenna socket in the wall?
    - Yes

36. I've heard a lot about something like 'Haupage', anyone can give me some help with this?
    - That's a brand name, just like Compro or Dvico.

NETWORK CARD
    37. Is there a leading brand in network cards?
    - Yes and no, all do the same shit though, just pick one you like the sound of.

38. Are they any network cards supporting 802.11n yet?
    - I'll pass on that one, someone else might know.

39. I looked on the Netgear site. Is there a difference between G and Super-G?
    - Distance i think, not sure of how they market but my GF has netgear stuff and i think i saw the difference on the side of the box. The super-G stuff is targeted for huge houses and offices.

40. Actually, I just realised I don't need wireless. So anyway, what is the best card to get anyway? Is 108 or watever the fastest at the moment?
    - Pass on this one too

41. What other factors should I be looking for?
    - Just pick a name you can trust.

42. I don't need a Gigabit card if my switch is not Gigabit right? However, if my switch has 2 or 4 ports, can I plug a cat5e cable for my computer into the gigabit port? That means I have faster network right? Because It would be useful when I copy large files over (movies). Is this correct?
    - If its not a gigabit switch then you wont be able to get faster by using a giigabit card in your pc. You can however plug a normal cable in there and use it at it's speed, it's only as fast as it's slowest part, that's probably the easiest way i can explain that.

KEYBOARD+MOUSE
    43. I'm looking for a set, (preferably silver/white) where it is wireless. I want the mouse to have a dock because I don't want to replace batteries. I also want the keyboard to be straight (non contoured) and I don't mind the extra buttons. Any models come to mind?
    - Microsoft and Logitech make good keyboards/mice look on their sites.

MONITOR
    44. Widescreens are okay with games yet? Many of the games I play on my laptop produce black bars on the sides because they are not widescreen compatible.
    - You can get widescreen patches off the web for most games if they dont support WS, most games are slowly coming over though. (cant find link for the site, it's something like widescreengaming.com)

45. Is it worthwhile to get widescreen or the normal ones?
    - Whatever you like

46. What is the difference between 'flat panel' and TFT?
    - No idea, google it because i cant be stuffed after 45 other questions.

47. Any monitors with HDMI? Or is DVI all I need because I only need the picture?
    - DVI is what your videocard will have on the back, that's as much as i know without googling about HDMI. I think you connect consoles via HDMI or something dont you?

48. Playing games, what is the 'ms' value that would suit me the most? Does this affect the refresh rate?
    - Lower the better, the higher the number the higher the chance of 'ghosting', LCDs always have a fixed 'refresh rate' if i remember correctly, they aren't like CRTs.

49. Suggest buying a monitor with built-in webcam?
    - As in do i recommend it? Or do you actually want a suggestion? Google for a monitor with a USB port on top, i think the BenQ's have it.

OTHER STUFF
    49. Where does Bluetooth capability come in? Is that the motherboard?
    - Can be on the motherboard, or can be via an addin card.

50. How can I get a lot of USB2.0 ports at the front?
    - Buy a case with them? Most only come with two though. Maybe look into making something to sit in your front drive bays. OR buy a keyboard that has USB ports on the back of it (fairly popular)

51. Do I also need to buy fans? How about the water cooling? How much do I need to get?
    - Most cases come with fans. Watercooling i suggest you stay away from, if you didnt have the techincal knowledge to find out some of these answers yourself then you probably couldn't handle a water setup without breaking something. It's easy to use if you buy a premade kit but it's not really worthwhile for you because i dont see you overclocking your PC (and it doesnt seem you care about making it a silent PC)

Fuckin hell, 51 questions, next time try googling a bit more, some of those questions would hyave been perfect for google. Also try the search function of this forum, would've answered a lot. Most people dont mind helping but this post has taken about 30 minutes of my life.

3. FumblesMcStupid

FumblesMcStupid (Banned or Deleted)

Before teh Intel fanboi get here with their l33t CONROE pwnz shananigins.

Ill do this part;

18. Seagate is the biggest hdd maker, owning Maxtor. Samsung and Hitachi are two other makers. I am currently running 3 WD hdd in this computer.
    The problem is that people have there own experience with hdd (failures etc). Different people have different stories about each hdd maker.
    19. There is quite a big difference in seek time, but most people will say its not worth the money.
    20.SATA2 is just the connection between your hdd and you mobo, whether you hdd transfers at the max speed (3Gbps) is a different story.
    21. Yes, but this provides a full backup if one dies.
    22. You should always make backups, mirroring is a bit expensive, if its just pictures and videos I would suggest jsut putting them on to DVD.

[edit] Nuts beaten, well a second opinion is always nice.

38. Are they any network cards supporting 802.11n yet?
    Only draft-n is out at the moment, some companies saying that their cards will work when it comes out with a firmware upgrade.

39. I looked on the Netgear site. Is there a difference between G and Super-G?
    One is the classic 54mbps, the other is the 108mbps which is not a IEEE standard so if you want super-G you have to buy a wireless card from the same company.

40. Actually, I just realised I don't need wireless. So anyway, what is the best card to get anyway? Is 108 or watever the fastest at the moment?
    See above.

46. What is the difference between 'flat panel' and TFT?
    TFT - Thin Film Transistor, IIRC is synonymous with active matrix LCD (best to google this not 100% sure)

13. Any difference if the memory is split? I.e. 2x1gb vs. 1x2gb
    2GB kits (ie 2x1gb) has the ability (provided your motherboard supports it) to running in dual channel have give you twice the theoretical bandwidth.

14. Any leading brands?
    OCZ is another leading brand, I would highly recommend them.

For power supplies check teh OCAU wiki http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Power_Supply_Unit

Also for you other question most of it should be in the wiki.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  4. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

Guys thank you soo much!!! Especially to you maxy0987.

I did try googling some but I never really understood it, but with your words, it seems much easier now!

Thank you :cool:

5. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

Question: I've been looking a the CoolerMaster 832 and Antec 900 Gaming cases, and I don't see where optical drives are put. There is space for them right?

Question: How much faster will this: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Conroe, 2.4Ghz) Dual-Core Processor, Socket LGA775, be compared to the one I'm using right now, Intel Pentium M 740?

Question: I read your answers on motherboard, and I have no idea how to choose them. They all have so much info. Do I make use of Dual-PCI? Gbe lan is not my concern because my switch isn't gigabit right? There's just so many. I'm on the Gigabyte site right now. Went to Intel Socket 775 because someone told me. There's so many, revisions, models and stuff? How do I choose it?

6. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

Question: I've been looking a the CoolerMaster 832 and Antec 900 Gaming cases, and I don't see where optical drives are put. There is space for them right?
    - Yes there is, of course there is. Here is a 900 review to get you started...
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7507

Question: How much faster will this: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Conroe, 2.4Ghz) Dual-Core Processor, Socket LGA775, be compared to the one I'm using right now, Intel Pentium M 740?
    - Hard to say you're using a mobile processor running at 1.7ghz, the E6600 runs at 2.4Ghz . But the kicker is it's more efficient and dual core goodness.I dont know, these sorta questions are impossible to answer.

Question: I read your answers on motherboard, and I have no idea how to choose them. They all have so much info. Do I make use of Dual-PCI? Gbe lan is not my concern because my switch isn't gigabit right? There's just so many. I'm on the Gigabyte site right now. Went to Intel Socket 775 because someone told me. There's so many, revisions, models and stuff? How do I choose it?
    - The GBit LAN will be a feature on most motherboards so dont take that into consideration. Dual PCIe 16 slots aren't really an issue for you either but most motherboards have them i think, it's not essential for you at all.
    You want a socket 775 board because that is what an E6600 is, other processors wont fit in it.
    Here you go, cheap and nasty board:
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_62&filter_id=20&products_id=20098

There are cheaper but they will only support up to 2gb ram, this one will go higher. It probably wont overclock that well and it wont really be future-proof but hey, it's cheap and does what you need it to (i think)

7. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

Okay I made a list and got $2907 which I'm pretty happy with.

The bolded ones are the items I'm going with (as I couldn't decide with some).

I still might add in a TV tuner card too. Oh yeah, will need speakers/webcam as well.

Anyway, I'm not too good at choosing parts because I'm not sure if they are in the league of one another and I don't really know what's unnecessary. So please critique!

Processor
    Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo BX80557E6600 Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 1066FSB Socket 775 pin (LGA775) CPU Genuine Retail Box - MSY $445.00

Case
    Antec 900 Nine Hundred Nine-Hundred Case without PSU - MSY $183.00 a
    Antec TX1050B Performance Black w/ 500w PSU - PC MANIACS $181.00
    Coolermaster CM Stacker 832 Black - PC MANIACS $315.00

Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P motherboard - CENTRE COM $222.20
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 965P-DS4 965P DS4 Conroe (Core 2 Duo) Support 775 pin 965P Chipset Motherboard - MSY $259.00 a
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 965P-DQ6 965P DQ6 Conroe (Core 2 Duo) Support 775 pin 965P Chipset Motherboard - MSY $310.00

Power Supply
    Antec Phantom 500 - COMPUTER WORLD $223.00
    Antec SP-500 SmartPower 2.0 500W ATX Power Supply - SCORPION TECHNOLOGY $115.00 a

Memory
    A-DATA ADATA 2GB Kit DDR2 667 PC4200 RAM Kit (2x 1GB) with Heat Spreader A grade Memory - MSY $235.00 a
    Kingston 2GB Kit DDR2 667 PC5300 RAM Kit (2x 1GB) A grade Memory - MSY $295.00

Hard Drive
    WD 500Gb 7200 16Mb Cache SATA 2 Hard Disk - CENTRECOM $269.50 a

Optical Drive
    DVR-111D Pioneer 111D Black 16x DVD-RW DVDRW DVR-111D 16x OEM DVR111D DL DVD Writer - MSY $45.00 a

Graphics Card
    Sparkle GeForce 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 PCI-E - S&L TECH $855.00
    640MB MSI NX8800GTS-T2D640E-EH GF 8800GTS GF8800GTS 2XDVI HDCP PCI-Express PCI-E Video Card - MSY $599.00 a

Sound Card
    Creative SB Sound Blaster Audigy Value Retail Sound Card - MSY $49.00 a

TV Tuner

Network Card
    $13.00
    Shintaro Gigabit 10/100/1000 Network Card - LANDMARK $25.00 a

Monitor
    Viewsonic 22" Widescreen; - 5ms VX2235WM WIDESCREEN BLACK/SILVER LCD - CENTRE COM $478.50 a
    Viewsonic 20" Widescreen - 8ms VX2025WM WIDESCREEN BLACK/SILVER LCD - CENTRE COM $399.30
    Samsung 225BW 5ms 22" WideScreen LCD Monitor Black - PC MANIACS $525.00
    Samsung 205BW 6ms 20.1" WideScreen LCD Monitor Black - PC MANIACS $429.00
    LG 20" LCD L204WT 5ms Response (DVI) Wide - Silver $399.00

Peripherals
    Logitech Retail MX610 MX-610 Performance Cordless Laser Mouse - MSY $65.00
    Microsoft MS Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 - NEXUS $195.00 a

TOTAL $2,907 (I think this is right)

8. theFish

theFish Member

There's no need to buy a dedicated network card, as the motherboard you specified already has gigabit ethernet.

Also, if you're going to go for a dedicated soundcard, you should consider something like an Audigy 4 or X-fi music. IMO, you probably need to spend at least $100 before there is any perceivable improvement in audio quality. If you'd rather not spend the extra cash, the onboard sound is fine on that motherboard.

9. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

Oh okay thanks for the help.

Well I think my music is fine already and i'm using my onboard sound from the Intel915GME or whatever is in my laptop.

So say I upgrade to a gfx card of more than $100, what actual difference can I get? I don't see how my sound could get any better? Isn't that on the speakers?

Also, thanks for the gigabit ethernet tip on the mobo! ;)

Is everything else working fine?

Trying to downgrade
    In a bid to cut back on costs, what could I possibly downgrade?

The maximum potential of this computer is to play games, not for overclocking. So what is in there that is not necessary? Just want it to be fast enough for video editting, and powerful enough for games.

processor could I downgrade this and get good performance for my gaming?
    motherboard this is more important for overclocking right? so could i downgrade? i can use p945 instead of p965 right? but then i see the 965 with firewire ports
    gfx cards is there a place for me to see how well a 8800 gts can perform? if i wanna play something like battlefield, will a lower-end gfx card do the same?

10. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

1. Could go to an 6400 or 6300 even, will save you some cash, obviously you'll lose a bit of speed (10+% i think)

2. Go with what has your needs, if you need firewire (or want it) then stick with what you go, you can downgrade as far as you like as long as the board is for socket 775, supports at least 2gb of RAM and has PCIe slot for your graphics card.

3. You can see 8800 benchmarks on the internet, they blow away the competition at the moment, im talking like a 100% improvement over a 7000 series low end card (a 7950GX2 or something has a smaller gap, but the prices are the same so dont get one of them). The big advantage of a 8800 series card is direct X 10, Vista uses DX10, and new games will use it as well, DX9 cards wont be able to do certain things in certain games. DX10 will be come mainstream in 6-12 months, Crysis by Crytek is the 1st DX10 game i think, read some links/watch some videos of that, it is stunningly beautiful.

If you can wait, the cheaper 8000 series cards will be out end of next month(8600/8300 i think they are called), might be worth a look later on? Or even a 320mb version of the 8800GTS which will be out next month, should save you a few pennies.

11. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

Hrmm okay.

Well since i'm building the computer in a few months, I can wait for prices to drop and for the 8000 series to ripen.

Regarding the processor, is someone able to tell me what I need to do to see a benefit with the E6600?

If i'm playing games, how much of an advantage? If i'm doing multiple tasks, should be no problem right?

12. karnage112

karnage112 Member

Don't get the Antec Smartpower!!!
    Just do a search here and you will find many problems.

13. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

You will see everything is faster, the processor just runs faster in general, if the clock speed is your thing then its 2.4 vs 1.7, you do the math, 700mhz faster (but it's more efficient so the 700mhz feels like it's more)

It will multi-task fine, anything you can throw at this baby will work better than your pentium M chip and i mean anything.

14. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

I did a google and couldn't find toooo much, there is a little bit though (but there always is). Maybe go an Antec NeoHE instead (they had issues with ASUS motherboards early on but most of those problems are sorted out - not that you're getting an asus mobo anyway :p)

15. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

I meant between the 6600 and the 6400, and then the 6400 compared to the 6300

I just want to have great fast gaming and multi-task...but don't want over kill what i don't need to be killed overly ;)

16. karnage112

karnage112 Member

Damn you have alot of questions. I was going to answer them but after a hard days work at school it felt like another test. Sorry = (

17. ggya

ggya Member

For gaming, the extra cache the E6600 has won't make too much of a difference. As for the multi-tasking bit, I think there would be a bit of a difference.

But you want great fast gaming and multi-tasking, so a E6600 will be good :)

18. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

i'd stay away from antec power supplies for the moment. their reputation has gone down dramatically within the last year (compatibility issues, not working). OCZ, Seasonic, Coolermaster and Silverstone seem to be the powersupplies of choice on this site. i dont know if you are planning on overclocking in the future (and with an E6600, i hope you do), it might be worth getting a power supply with a bit more grunt as well, especially if you want to keep it for the next upgrade cycle...

Re case: the Stacker Rc810 can be had for $200 from MSY and IMHO is a lot more practical than the 831 and the Antec900

19. OP
    OP
    duncangel

duncangel Member

Okay, so far I've come up with this:

Okay, so this comes to $2911

My question is, will this drop in a few months? I will probably actually buy this system, earliest at May, if not, in the middle of May.

Anyone can predict how much less it would cost at that time.

Also, does the system look okay? Anything clashing?

20. moca mola

moca mola Member

system

hey mate, looks like a good system to me. i started researchin for my new system (buyin in late march) a few months ago and when i began i basically had as much idea about everything as u do, but most of my parts are around the same.

i'd recommend u have a look at the chi mei 22" monitor, really cheap ($392 from msy) and apparently the screen is just as good as any other in the price range, the only bad thing i've heard about it is that the base and err.. border, i guess (i have no idea what to call it.. the thing that holds the screen), arent quite as flashy as some.

i've also heard that seagate is slightly more reliable than wd, but i've no personal experience to back that up.

be wary of vista as theres a lot of articles on the net at the moment of poor driver compatibility which means that games either wont run or run extremely slowly on vista. most graphics cards at the moment are fine-tuned for xp so maybe it would be best (for gaming) to stick with xp until microsoft and gfx card companies can sort out the driver issues.

with the mouse i've heard a lot of good things about the logitech g7 mouse (i'm gonna go with g5 since i prefer corded), and logitech g11 or g15 keyboards. i think with msy those should only cost around 200-250 total (from memory) so maybe thats worth lookin into to save a bit of money.

anyway thats all.. my knowledge isnt that great but i thought as i've been looking at basically all the same things for the last few months i'd try to give u a hand. i'll put up the system i'm thinking about getting in late march, just for some extra reference for u:

e6300 (overclocking to 3ghz hopefully)
    antec 900 case
    gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo
    ocz 600w gamexstream
    2gb geil ultra ddr2 800mhz
    320gb seagate sata2 hdd
    pioneer dvdrw drive
    320mb 8800gts (maybe 8600 ultra if it comes out in time, or 640mb 8800gts if it drops in price enough when ati brings out new gfx cards)
    chi mei 22" monitor
    logitech g5 mouse
    logitech "elite" keyboard
    scythe ninja cpu cooler

anyway, when i buy my system i'll be able to give u some more info on how well it runs, but i think by May you might have changed your mind about a lot of parts. oh and also, my system should come in under $2500. hope it helps :)