Project: Ice bench

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by m3k, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. m3k

m3k Member

Hi everybody, First work log here,

trying to keep it short n sweet 8D

So Ive always wanted to WC my gear, especially with my GPU's hitting some silly temps, But I could never justify spending so much $$$ on WC gear if its hidden in my case!!
    I was going to fab a desk like "L3p desk", but instead went for a clear bench idea, because while designing realised I'd lose too much legroom!! (and portability)!

Meow the problem was, Current perspex bench's offered, (and most conventional benches in general, aesthetically, don't belong on a desk in 2012.
    (aka:they look like shit.)

SO while chatting with my best pal in-between gaming sesh's, an idea was quickly formed:
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    3930k, gtx580x2, 16gb, SB: Titanium, Samsung/Intel SSD's, Seasonic x1250.

WC, bits and peices:
    pics: to come:
    <9 fan rad > <2x 140mm rad> < big pump thingi > < cute white -translucent res > < nickel plated EK fittings & slimline fittings > <90 deg connectors> <clear tubing> <other stuff>

I decided to avoid nickel plated blocks even though they're pretty, I went with copper.
    pics soon:
    <raystorm/perspex block> <gtx/perspex blocks here>
    I bought so much wc gear from TKR that I didnt even need to buy candy for Halloween >.<

moar below:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

This post will focus on the fabrication of the motherboard tray!

My friend and I dug through some old 90's cases and found one with a removable motherboard tray,
    we drilled the rivets out and then washed all the dust and dirt off it!!!
    [​IMG]

We went to cut off the bits and pieces that were yucky and got in our way!
    [​IMG]

We then had to attach the PCI bracket, I didn't really document this long boring process- but we went back and cut that out of the case too!, we aligned the motherboard against it to make sure the graphics card would sit snug against it, and started work.

This is a photo of us riveting the pci bracket onto the motherboard tray:
    [​IMG]
    Close Enough! right guys?

We then jigsaw'd the motherboard tray out & sanded it down roughly: (didn't have camera with me for this one, phone pics)
    [​IMG]

Then angle grinded the sharp/bumpy bits smooth: (this one is phone pics too)
    [​IMG]

ITS OKAY GUYS.... IT LOOKS PRETTY BAD I KNOW BUT... AFTER SOME LOVE AND SANDING & two coats of primer:
    [​IMG]

Three coats:
    [​IMG]
    Lots of attention for something you will never see D:

Moar:
    [​IMG]

Painted hard drive cage gloss black, two coats:
    [​IMG]

* WET SANDING/ PAINT DRYING UNDER PROGRESS * MORE TO COME

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

This post will document the progress of forming the final acrylic case

After forming the bends in the acrylic, Attaching support beams were important for structural purposes :D
    [​IMG]
    GLUED SON!

Putting weights on for drying: disregard early black paint, the finish wasn't good enough, so we sanded it back down :p
    This is the acrylic cover without the protective sheets removed, to avoid scratching!
    [​IMG]

Gaming while we wait for glue to dry :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

Reserved..

gonna go play NS2 updates will come, feel free to comment/make suggestions :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. Saate

Saate Member

Nice work so far! The pics look great too, nice post-processing and decent shots more than makes up for the phone camera mate :) Ill be watching this one with interest!

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

What are you doing reading other peoples work logs?

Hurry up and finish yours ffs... you move slower then old people fuck! :lol:

7. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

update's:
    Black gloss :D w/clear coats :D

Note: perspex protective sheet still on, to avoid scratching :D
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy, Ive found, when doing the hdd cage, caking on the paint is way better than doing it lightly with spray cans, the orange peal has much higher gloss than the speckled Finnish the light coats give. (This is if your not sanding between coats)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

some WC & progress pr0n :D

[​IMG]

nomnomnom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have anywhere to mount the res, soooo I turned:
    [​IMG]

Had to cut some screws D:

[​IMG]

I need to get matching ram D:
    [​IMG]

I even made a radiator stand, but its kinda dodgy. D: i think ill show it after i fill the loop :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  9. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Looks nice, love the acrylic work, and that gloss black turned out really good.

It's a popular trend with modders here... I'm wondering why you bother using a Dremel to do what would be heaps cheaper, easier and more accurately done with a normal hacksaw? (for example cutting off a bolt)

10. Saate

Saate Member

Really nice work so far mate - being the details fanatic I am I'd love to see more pics of your process on some of the acrylic work. I pick up the best tips, tricks and techniques from other peoples worklogs :)

All I can think of is this.

11. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Great work so far M3k :thumbup:

Love the acrylic stand for the res.

12. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Oh, so I guess that "real hacksaws are for old people" :lol:

But as an "old person" I find it really funny to watch all the sparks and noise created to use a $200 Dremel to cut off a bracket or something that could be so much more quickly, accurately and cleanly cut with a $10 hacksaw or a pair of aviation snips.

Kids and their toys - I dunno what the world is coming to ROFL [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

this is interesting cant wait to see the final outcome

subbed :)

14. Evaken

Evaken Member

looks awesome! keep it up.

that mouse looks rather familiar...... :lol:

15. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

so, got the loop running, its kinda temporary, i need to do a lot of aesthetic work and cable sleeving, but its running for now :D

I even came up with a new trick for testing loops for good seals- it involved an air-syringe and a some extra pipe with water ;) haha, just made a mini vacuum- made a mark on the tubing, went out for the day, came back home, the water didn't move, nice and air tight :D

I'd love to make a mobo cover, and buy some back plates, Anyone here seen anyone make a mobo cover before a lot like the sabertooths?":

:http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/ZYgjt71bzlh62Zk9/product_overview.jpg

or if i can get one for a p9x79 (doubt it but cant hurt to ask :p)

ANYWAY PICS FOR ALL OF YOU <3 <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gotta find a better way to mount my drives haha :D
    got myself a 128 + 256 samsung, and an intel 520 haha

[​IMG]
    not happy with this res tbh, I think my pump is too powerful for it, I cant turn it past 2.5 or it will make air bubbles and feed them back into the pump :(
    gonna take a break for a bit now, i'll post updates as they come.
    anyway any feedback is welcome, cant wait to clean the cabling up and making it pretty :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  16. OP
    OP
    m3k

m3k Member

lol 3coops makes a good point, and I agree, but I don't always go to the power tools. I used a hacksaw to cut all my acrylic, its only when things are hard to reach, or tedious i use a dremel :p

now if only I could get my hands on an industrial strength laser to replace the dremel... :D

*Update: Thank you for front page!, temps are great! too, idle is 2-5 degs-C above room temp, with the gpu's running maybe 8 deg+ (with the 1080 rad) load temps are half that of air! looking forward to re-sleeving and new shots of the entire bench :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  17. auApex

auApex Member

Looks awesome, m3k. Can you please post some pics of the build from a distance so we can see the bench in its entirety? Thanks!

18. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

why are these pictures so amazing! great photography work!

19. OMARK

OMARK Member

There was a guy used to be on here all the time, always making cool casemods with mobo covers - was the first i ever saw do it. also did lots of turbine style front fans, cant remember his name though.

EDIT 1: It took a few minutes of google-fu, but it was Defyant!!! check out slamaa and aussiejesters work also THINK they may have done some also. Havent had any luck in finding live pics though. These guys seem to be still active on the forums though so track them down perhaps.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=680890

Some more searching, you can find pics still up on thebestcasescenario, username defyant. Scary that I can (vaguely) remember (a series of) mods from 6 years ago, but cant remember what i did just a few days ago....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013