1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project: Ingraham

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by slipperyskip, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

sounds good, but i cant quite visualise it.
    kind of like melting into the centre circle ???

2. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Sorry. There are several missing pieces to this puzzle like the arc that completes the circle. The circle embedded in the grill will eventually become a true complete circle. When the top strap cascades down the front of the case it will collide with this circle.

Maybe I should just mock it up and stop trying to describe it. lol

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no no, the build up is great. i'm kind of geting it
    dont show us just yet

edit-
    the arc, will it be tapered from top to bottom? eg stands out further at the top than at the bottom

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  4. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

The "arc" is a piece that goes on top of the circle to complete it.

Maybe better...What would you need to do to make this a complete circle? Maybe?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  5. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

OK Let's try this....

[​IMG]

The arc is shown just below dead center in this photo.

6. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

I offer this photo to show the completed circle. Ignore the red circle. That's just me fooling around. What will actually end up in the middle of the circle? Hmmm......suggestions?

7. Pipster

Pipster Member

put in one of those classic tuner nobs off the radios u have so many pics of, but make it a volume nob or something like that....

8. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

A knob would be groovy but....I've done it twice before so I was looking for something different.

[​IMG]

9. Pipster

Pipster Member

10. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

This is turning out awesome, keep up the good work.:thumbup:

11. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

+1 on the clock

12. deathsgt60

deathsgt60 Member

where did you get those chrome strips.....
    i need a few for a mod i am embarking on soon.
    and what thickness and length can you get them?
    also any link will be greatly appreciated\

deathsgt

13. Ephphatha

Ephphatha Member

A clock would be great. Or you could be totally gimmicky and get an AM/FM radio and bury it in the grill with a tuner covering it. (I know you wanted to avoid knobs, but how cool would it be the have a functional AM/FM radio in the case that's styled after an old radio?)

14. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks for the input.

One the ways I measure progress in a project is what grade of sandpaper I'm using. I have just transitioned into the 220 phase.

[​IMG]

Here is my homemade sanding tool. Basically a wide sheet of sandpaper clamped onto a very straight, flat, square stick. I make rowing motions back and forth across the roof surface to keep everything smooth and level. I am sanding the sealer off the case in preparation for the first lacquer coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some candidates.

15. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

After two coats of satin finish brush-on lacquer and about five coats of industrial aluminum spray paint on the grill. Long, long way to go on both pieces but it has allowed me envision the mocked-up top strap better. The strap is unfinished and just loosely laid out. Wow, there is such a difference between the raw and finished walnut. I think it is the lighting.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

17. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Mutman.

[​IMG]

After great deliberation and agonizing about the cooling system I decided to go with the PCI slot blower fan solution. Embedding fan(s) into the front vents would have been cool. Cutting fan holes in the back was obvious. This is an Evercool Fox-1 Guided Missile. Mission Destroy according to the label. Hmmm???

[​IMG]

It matches the rest of the red/black theme going on and bolts right in. I'm going to build up the support structure because I don't trust that UPS will allow the blower to stay in place during shipping. That's experience talking and also why I won't install a video card....yet.

[​IMG]

I even considered Dremeling out part of back panel including the PCI brackets and installing a 120mm but I want those slots. There is room for two 60mm fans side by side.

[​IMG]

This is how I make circles. I needed a 3 1/4" circle so I rough cut some wood, set up the drill and ground it down against some sandpaper. It might need to be a little thinner...no problem with my poor man's lathe.

18. wvxman

wvxman Member

Yeah, I should have been more descriptive of what I meant by "the real stuff"; full sized, solid pieces of timber as opposed to veneer. I wasn't discriminating between vinyl or timber veneer. ;)

p.s coming along nicely slipperskip!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  19. tired

tired Member

Saw this on the front page and thought I would chime in with a "really well done" :thumbup:

I really like the combination of casings/housings from older technology combined with newer technology, to give the impression you have something other than what people would expect you to have (especially with wood).

I wonder if anyone has put a more powerful setup into one of those floor standing radios that were also in wooden enclosures. It wouldn't be for most people, but there are people who love that old stuff and mightn't be able to justify having one if it wasn't serving both an aesthetic and pc purpose at the same time.

Just a rough idea of what I am talking about here

20. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks wvxman!

Thanks tired. I know someone who says they have that very project in the works. It should be interesting but I wouldn't want to move or ship it after its done. :eek:

[​IMG]

My modding completely wrecked the Silverstone case's closure system so I have to invent my own. This is a stainless steel brad-mount T-nut. I used industrial strength super glue to adhere it to the case. I followed that up with small sheet metal screws driven through the T-nut base into the case. Finished up by Dremeling off the sheet metal screw threads sticking out the other side.

[​IMG]

Repeat on both sides of the case. This is a stainless steel 10-24 machine screw driven through a hole in the case into the T-nut. Also shown is the "screw head hider" as I call it.

[​IMG]

The hider is snapped into place.

I'm doing these small tasks while waiting for various coats of lacquer and paint to dry. My lacquering process will involve at least a dozen coats each being sanded by progressively finer and finer sandpaper.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008