1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Project IV - Lian Li D600 Liquid Cooled Build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kismet, Sep 6, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Here is a before and after photo. The first one shows how the Aurora failed, note it all sitting at the bottom of the reservoir. The second one is the completed new loop.

Change log:-
    • Replaced hose.
    • Added 45 degree fittings. (90 would be better if I could get them)
    • Used shorter hose lengths thanks to 45 degree fittings.
    • Replaced some blue velcro ties with black ones.
    • Added EVGA GTX 780 Hydro graphics card.
    • Changed loop order to put motherboard block before CPU for neatness. (no temp difference has been noted)
    • Filled loop with UV Blue Primochill liquid. The use of the UV was an accident as I ordered regular clear Primochill and didn't notice until after I filled the loop that it was the UV Blue one. I don't have a UV light so I haven't seen it glow blue yet.
    • Switched on the white LED inside the reservoir.

Resulting running temps are as follows. Ambient air temp 21. CPU temp 27. Water temp 20. Under Prime95 load the cpu remains below 50. The video card's max temp was 37 while under load, and is idling at 23.
    I attribute the good temps to the 420x80mm Monsta radiator and the Swifttech XT cpu block.

I have one spare temp sensor, but I don't know where to put it. Suggestions?

Click to view full size!

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

What state do you live in? I have a spare Phobya UV LED strip. Its awesome, because you can plug it into a fan header OR a molex connection.

3. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

I'm in vic up the road from you. lol

Plugging into a fan header sounds interesting. I wonder if that means it can be controlled by software...

ohhh.. I'm having creative ideas now...

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I had it plugged into the cases fan controller that I wasn't using, and the UV strip can either be ON or OFF, fading doesn't work. So it was turned on when the fan controller was on full, and off when the fan controller was on MED or LOW, if that makes sense.

5. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

IV Build is now officially sponsored by Kommandant33

It looks so cool..... I have been playing with the lights for the last 20 minutes... positioning them in different places to see what kind of effect they get. The tubes look like they have internal lights when I put the strip above them.

I think my existing blue lights also have a fan fitting. I didn't realize what it was until I saw yours. So I should be able to switch between blue and UV via software. Pretty sure the gigabyte software lets me set fan speeds, so I am sure I can find something a little more automated to do it too.

I'm having so much fun playing with the lights.... thank you so much... totaly made my day.

6. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Photographic Advice

How do people get such good photos of their rigs?

Ever time I try it is either too dark or the flash reflects off the glass or overpowers the lights inside.

I have an iphone and a regular digital camera, but I feel like I need slow shutter speeds or something to see the lighting effects. Especially the subtle glowing of the liquid from the new UV lights.

7. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

No flash, that kills the pic. Set up subtle lighting, put the phone/camera on a tripod or hold it very still and take a photo.

I know nothing about photography, but you aren't shooting for the cover of vogue :-D

Eg - no flash, iPotato picture..
    [​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Ohh... nice pic...

I found a slow shutter app for the phone which reminded me that my tablet has a camera with slow exposure etc... so I put it on charge.... might have some results from it tonight with some luck.

UV lights make the hoses look cool.

9. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Rebuilt with video card and UV lights, photo taken using flash

Click to view full size!

Rebuilt with video card and UV lights, photo taken under UV light only

Click to view full size!

As you can see I attached the UV light strip around the video card. It was the only way I could think of that would put UV light above and below the video card to illuminate all the hoses... I'm very happy with the resulting effect.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  10. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

nice.... but that tube at the top looks like it should be singing "Sunny afternoon"

11. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Sunny Afternoon??? I don't understand. Do you mean the reflection of the lights on the top tube? I could probably defuse the lite somehow but I kinda like how it makes the metal fittings sparkle.

That top tube is the one I want to redo when/if someone in melb gets some 90 or 180 m/f fittings in. The radiator is directly behind the motherboard fitting so I have a long looping hose which has to do a 270 degree loop to the radiator outlet at the back. There is a similar problem with the outlet from the reservoir where the hose has to do a 270 degree loop followed by a 90 degree bend so it can run up the back of the reservoir to the radiator. You cant really see the reservoir hose in the photos, but it's ugly as sin. lol

Really loving the UV light :)

12. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Oh oh... I meant to ask about your loop.

I wanted to run the inlet into the top of my reservoir like you have done so I can see some movement in the water but I was worried air bubbles would go back up the hose when the computer is off.

Is that a problem?

13. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Look at who sings it... the Kinks..
    Not a problem that I have ever uncounted, but at the moment I am using a normal res that has been flipped... so it has a tube going straight into the water - no trickle sounds. I will pop up a pic soon.

As for seeing movement of the fluid, isn't there cyclone res's that you can buy?

14. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

oh Kinks.. lol It's just the photo angle. the tube is perfectly round all the way. Its why that tube is still so dam long.

Well then on my next build I might run the water back into the top of my reservoir so I can see some movement. I have seen some Reservoirs with spinning wheels and complicated flow paths (cyclone?) that let you see the water moving, but they all seem to for drive bays. I'm not keen on a bay reservoir in this case as there is hardly enough space to access the HDD bays as it is without adding hoses.

mind you I have found another interesting idea I would like to integrate into the build to totally eliminate ALL fans while still pushing plenty of air through the radiator... see next post.

15. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Ionic Fans - Totally Silent air movement

Ionic Fans - Totally Silent air movement

So I have been looking at ways to push air through the radiator without the noise of a fan. I discovered a few people demonstrating mini versions of an ionic drive to push air.

This is the kind of hi-tech stuff NASA puts in space craft, so it must belong in the computers of the OCAU community too!!! Like... we are all rocket scientists... right???

Here is a link to a simple project someone built to suck air out the back of their computer: http://www.inventgeek.com/ionic-wind-pc-cooling/

[​IMG]

It is very simple. Just a couple loops of wire separated by a plastic tube with a high voltage and low amps running through them. It can be powered by the 12v line of the computer easy.

They also sell a kit on amazon designed to push air, but I like the simplicity of the first home made one; http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Ion-Generator-Kit/dp/B0002NRK3A

Now I am still researching this, but my current understanding is you have a metal point like a nail aimed at a short mental pipe with a high voltage difference between them to produce an ion flow which will push air.

Keep in mind I am still researching, but I find myself asking, would the fins on a radiator act like metal points. And would the holes on a Lian Li d600 case act as the tube to attract the negative ions. Putting aside the risk of zapping the computer and people by using the radiator and case as part of the circuit... it's an interesting idea.

If nothing else the plastic tube version could be altered to suck air through a radiator and out the back of a case without making any noise at all.

Where normal fans have a dead spot in the middle that can't push air, this ionic drive doesn't.

MY IDEA

I could make up a plastic rectangle that was 140 x 420 x 20mm to fit onto the back of my case where the 420 radiator is. Then string the wires along the 420mm length of it to create the ion driven air flow. Perhaps additional wires can be added to increase the air flow. The demo model appears to have 2 within the 120mm fan space so it might be possible to have more over a larger space like a radiator.

It might be necessary to still have fans kick in the push air on a hot day, but wouldn't it be cool if the ion drive could pull air through it from the outside the rest of the time.

Another possibly advantage might be dust repulsion, as negative ion generators are know for their air cleaning properties. And this this is basically just a negative ion generator.

I have googled my heart out, and I cant find another combining this tech with water cooling to create a quiet computer.

Opinions???

EDIT: It occured to me that the blades from one of those cheap vegitable cutters might be perfect for this project.
    [​IMG]

ps. someone repost/move/link from other forums that might be better suited to this idea. I don't know how.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You should see movement in the water without having to bring it in from above anyway, but no, there are no issues with doing it that way.

These two have both inlets and outlets on the bottom of the res. Water movement is clearly visible.

This one is an Alphacool Light Tower with an Aquastream Ultra (Eheim 1046) pump. I could have fitted a D5 to the outlet of the res but I didnt have one at the time.

Heres the plumbing. It was a bit dodgy, too many 90 degree turns, but shows the layout. The res is feeding the pump via the rear outlet. The pump is outputting to the GPU's via the side fitting.

The (not visible) inlet hole in this configuration is at the bottom, directly opposite the outlet fittings at the rear.

[​IMG]

I rearranged it for the following video.. multiple res options. In this one, the res is reversed, so the inlet is at the back and the outlet is at the front. This simplified the plumbing considerably, but both inlet and outlet are still at the bottom of the res.

A video of the water movement with the Eheim at min. speed. The noise is entirely due to a 92mm fan on a little rad I had temporarily fitted at the rear, the pump and water movement is inaudible.

Its blue tubing, only distilled water in there.

I replaced that setup with the setup below, as the Eheim just took up too much space in the little 350D case, and the fittings to suit the layout were far from ideal.

This one is an XSPC mini res with a D5 running at lowest speed. The upper hose is an outlet, not an inlet. The front hose is the inlet. This is a much simpler setup because the res has the pump directly plugged into it at the rear, no intervening fittings. Water still comes into the bottom, not the top.

Sorry about the music drowning out any hope of hearing noise, I was being a dick and added a rousing soundtrack lol.. but I promise you, the pump and water was also inaudible with the music off. Any computer noise you might be able to pick out is fans.

The water is just distilled. The colour is LED lighting for both res, no dye needed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  17. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Love the stargate soundtrack. been watching that all week here myself....

I like the fountain effect in the first blue loop. and the nice neat hoses in the second red build. You do good work.

I see you use silver to kill the bugs in the water too. Nice installation of the silver in a spiral.

My reservoir/pump combo has this kind of disc thing at the bottom that seems to stabilise the water to the point that it doesn't circulate in the transparent part of the reservoir.... as evident by the aurora particles not moving and just settling in there. Mayhem says my reservoirs are poorly designed, while I think they have some kind of anti whirlpool feature by design.

Your pump with a fountain would have looked good with the aurora stuff. I'm tempted to put in a fake loop that just pumps back into a reservoir so i can watch the Aurora stuff. I saved it from when I drained my loop. It is in a jar and still works if I shake up the jar.

Did some more research into ion drive cooling. Pretty sure I can make a decent one using the frame from an old fan or one of those shroud things they use as spacer between fans and radiators. Then I only need to string some thick wire and some very thin wire across either end of whatever I use as a tube to funnel the air. I have seen some very simple to make examples generate enough thrust to make them fly, so I am hopeful it will do the job of a low speed 140mm fan.

Only tricky part is getting a high voltage generator. Could have used an EHT from an old CRT TV, but I think the generator from one of those plasma/lighting balls should also do the trick if I convert the output to DC... I think those things run AC.

[​IMG]

I will bolt it to the outside of the case so the case itself becomes a Faraday cage to protect the computer.

As I plan to use a battery powered plasma ball toy to obtain the high voltage generator circuit I will be able to power the whole thing from my fan controller. In theory, from the motherboard's fan controller event!

If you never hear from me again.. you know I messed up and cooked the computer... lol

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The Ion drive thing sounds way cool, but I have my doubts as to whether its going to cut the mustard. It might have some airflow naked, but pulling it through a rad is another thing. That's why there are different fans for case cooling vs rad cooling, you need significantly more pressure for a rad.

I hope it does work, its creative and innovative, things we all love to see.

19. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

In principal the air is pushed by the moving ions. The more ions move the more air gets push along too. I anticipate having to UP the power of the ion generator and possibly have a larger area funnelled down with something similar to those 120/140 adapters. I will have to experiment with what size and shape pushes the most air as well as finding the sweet spot for how many ions are needed.

What gives me hope is that I have seen people using this to create ion lifters that literally fly in the air, so it can create enough thrust to get off the ground. The USAF use it in one of their stealth jets and NASA uses it to push space craft. I'm no where near as cleaver as those people, but I only want to push some air through my case.

Apparently it creates a bit of O3 (ozone) as a by-product which is unhealthy without a well ventilated room. That wont be an issue where my computer is, and there are apparently filters that convert O3 into O2 I can experiment with later on.

Today I grabbed one of those plasma balls, some diodes, heatshrink insulation, a thick coper welding rod, and some very thin wire. So I believe I have everything I need to construct it. I'll use a coke bottle to funnel the air while I experiment. I might get that plastic manufacturer who built my custom reservoir mount to make me up a custom funnel/shroud once I know what dimensions I will need.

If all else fails, the plasma ball runs off USB power and would look nice sitting on top of my PSU inside the case. LOL

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I still have my doubts. There is a difference between high flow and high static pressure, that's why there are different kinds of fans. Certainly sounds feasible as a case fan but not so sure as a rad fan. I'm looking forward to seeing the results !!!

I considered one of those balls in a case too, it would look awesome.. but they are basically electrostatic generators aren't they? I decided I wasn't comfortable with an electrostatic source inside a computer.. I'm still toying with a Lava Lamp inside one someday though.. nothing like a bit of kitsch to make a talking point lol