1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Project IV - Lian Li D600 Liquid Cooled Build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kismet, Sep 6, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Lave Lamp! Now there is an idea I like.

Having pulled apart the plasma ball and drawn out the circuit, I have found it to be a high frequency/medium voltage AC. Looking at it I'm sure it is not going to be powerful enough to create an ion air pump, so I ordered an ion generator capable of -16kv for $14 from Sydney.

While I can rectify the AC from the plasma ball as I original planned, it's just not high enough a voltage. I probably should have guessed that as it is made to be safe to touch.

Not to worry. I didn't break the plasma ball and my exploration of it's circuit confirms that it would be safe to sit inside the case so long as nothing touches it. Not that a dangerous voltage would result, just that it heats the glass and risks it breaking.

I wonder if they still make those Luminglas disc things from the 90's... (think star trek borg) .. they would look pretty cool in a drive bay behind a transparent reservoir.

someone stop me....

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Any news? What's going on?

3. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Waiting for the negative ion generator to arrive from Sydney so I can continue my fanless air pump experiment... and possibly electrocute myself in the process. Poo to their 3-5 day delivery times! (taps foot)

I was thinking about a multi monitor setup but then spotted the 28" 4k Samsung monitor for $549 at PCCG. I might go get one of those this week because it is able to display 4 times as much as my current monitor and will totally cover my desk space that isnt being taken up by the Lian Li case.

I moved the computer to the right side of the desk so I could enjoy the view in the case window, only to find that the mouse keeps bumping into the case and clicking on things. I will have to return the case to the left and consider inverting it so I can enjoy the view in the window, which will require inverting the reservoir/pump too. :(

Also downloading Windows 10 which was released today in preview. the ISO is 50% download so far.

MS want people using keyboard/mouse to give feedback because they failed on desktop interface badly with version 8.

I hate touch screen computers because my hands shake so I am motivated to ensure there is a good desktop alternative.

By the looks of the video MS posted they have returned the start-bar, start menu, and window controls (minimise, maximize, close, resize) while retaining the multi page desktop and tiles. If they have also returned the ability to preview apps from the start-bar by hovering a mouse over the icon I will be a happy chap.

I will never understand why they are trying to copy the springboard on a desktop machine. A springboard interface is only useful on a small screen device like a phone. Desktops already had icons on the desktop for those who wanted to close everything just to open something new, like a springboard. I'm sure most of us use startbar shortcuts so we don't need to close things.

I better start looking for a spare HDD or my copy of a virtual machine to test the new windows.

kismet

4. OP
    OP
    Kismet

Kismet Member

Ion air flow experiment is stalled. I can't seem to get any airflow with my prototype.

I think I have the wrong kind of negative ion generator. I think I need the one with two wires, positive and negative, but I have only been able to get one with negative and neutral.

-----------

In the meantime I decided to snag another EVGA Hydro video card. Centrecom was burning off their stock ready for something new. I figured it would be my last chance to get a matching set so I snagged the very last one for $500 which is $300 less than the first one cost me.

Looking for any advice about series vs parallel video card hookup. I've read about how series means higher pressure and a small temperature increase in the second card, while parallel gives even temps and slightly less cooling due to a lower flow. So the main issue for me will be if the pump can cope with the number of blocks and radiator attached.

I have the XSPC D5 Photon 170 Reservoir/Pump Combo which I believe has the D5 pump. I don't know much about pumps and need some advice.

I have a monsta 420 80mm radiator, cpu, and gigabyte motherboard cooling block as well as the videos cards. Currently one, but soon two. So that is 4 blocks and one huge radiator connected to a D5 pump. With 2 of those blocks able to be configured in parallel.

So the question is, can the D5 pump cope with series, or should I play it safe with parallel in case the pump can't keep up the required flow/pressure?

Temperatures have been good with the current config. In the 35 weather last week the water temp stayed under 30.
    CPU temps were a few degrees hotter than normal (around 40, instead of 30) but still nice and cool compared to what I was getting with air cooling in the middle of winter. Air cooled was topping 90 in a melbourne winter!!
    Video temps seem to sit around 30-35 no matter what I do.
    My guess would be that my monsta radiator is doing well with the current config, so the only think I could mess up is the series vs parallel choice for the addition graphics card.

Kismet

ps. there is also an opportunity to attach the input to the top of the Res in the parallel configuration, so i can see the liquid moving. In a parallel video card config this would mean the input and output will be attached to the top of the first card, rather than in to the top and out from the bottom.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014