1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] .:LIL WONDER:. - Watercooled Silverstone SG02-F

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Statts, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Statts

Statts RIP

[PROJECT] .:BLACK:. - Watercooled Lian Li V350 Small Form Factor *UPDATE PAGE 5*

Hi all!

Well, nearly have all the parts for my upcoming project, so thought I would start a little build log. This project will be quite a challenge for me, being my first watercooled Small Form Factor. Nonetheless, I will be jumping into it with my usual hastiness and arrogance! :ROTF:

Core components:
    Case: Silverstone SG02-F in BLACK
    Motherboard: Asus P5E-VM HDMI (yet to arrive)
    CPU: E6850
    Video: inno3d 8800GT (may look to swap this for something with black PCB)
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB PC2-6400
    Optical: Pioneer DVR-215
    HDD: WD 640gb
    PSU: Corsair HX 620W

Cooling:
    CPU: DTEK FuZion v1
    GPU: XSPC Razor
    Chipset: EK (need to find out which model fits G35)
    Radiator: Swiftech MCR220 QP
    Pump: MCP350 with Petra's Top
    Tubing: Tygon 3/8" x 5/8" in BLACK (yet to order)
    Fittings: Bistpower compression (and waiting on 45's!)

Planned mods:
    All black inside case (probably powdercoating)
    Window mod
    White CCFL lighting (switchable)

So the whole idea of this build is not centred around overclocking, but around a small form factor, portability and quietness. Hence, I think the MCR220 *SHOULD* do the job, we will see. Looking forward to all the parts arriving so I can kick it off!

Pics up in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. slamaa

slamaa Member

Sounds cool, If I was you I would give that chip set block the flick and just use the stock heat sink as all it will do is add unnecessary heat to your loop.

Also with your BLACK theme, for your window, you could use a black tinted perspex which would suite really well.

cheers
    slamaa

3. renel

renel (Banned or Deleted)

i agree with slamaa.. GAMmods is good for back perspex ;).. might get some dark black in the next 2 weeks

4. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Chipset on that board gets fairly warm from what I have heard. Again I must stress that if this rig ends up running only @ stock, then I'm still happy. might try without the chipset block first. See how we go.

5. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Like to know how your going to get only the inside of your case powdercoated ?

6. Glock

Glock Member

Hahahahah. Good point.

*waits for pics*

7. sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

What modding are you actually doing ?

8. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

powdercoating was referring to the chassis. Inside of the cover may need painting.

i didnt already make a list? Also add to that cable shortening aof sleeving. If thats not "modding" enough, let me know and i wont bother with the log. :rolleyes:

9. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Not to much of an update today, but here goes:

Put some parts into place in the case today to see what's what. As it turns out, my worst fear is realised. It looks like the rad and fans aren't going to fit both internally like I had hoped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So maybe the rad will have to go externally with the barbs into the case at the front. Not exactly how I would have liked it, but it may have to do:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the pump room is just fine (even if the fans did end up internal). To do this the hard drive cage (which sits under opticals) was shifted entirely to the right hand side of the case which meant removal of the HDD cooling fan. This won't be a problem as my one and only HDD is mounted in the 5.25" area.

[​IMG]

Didn't have a whole lot of time left on my hands today, so I got to shortening the SATA power cable for my DVD and HDD. I can't stand how long they are, so I attacked it!

Started out by measuring the distance required between the two SATA connectors:

[​IMG]

Then started pulling apart the SATA cable:

[​IMG]

Man I love these Corsair power supplies. The cabling is so easy to modify with re-usable connectors! Only thing to watch out for is the all black wiring, don't want to mix up the wires and fry a HDD!

[​IMG]

And here is the finished result:

[​IMG]

And back in it's place. Happy with the result, will look better when my cable sleeving arrives!

[​IMG]

And that's all for today, unfortunately. Heading up to the hills to some wineries tomorrow, so doubt will get any done then.

10. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

looking good :D

my XFX 8800GT has a black PCB. maybe swap with someone.

11. alvarez

alvarez Member

Have you seen BenJs similar mod in the worklog section, He ran into the same problems as you and solved them ingeniously.

12. DeejW

DeejW Member

May I ask why your using such a beefy PSU in a mid end htpc. im sure that system wouldnt draw over 400 watts

13. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

yeah I will be looking to do something like that, with a little cash incentive for the other party.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

It's not a HTPC, it is my desktop system. And why not use that PSU anyway? The case only supports ATX PSU's.

14. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Well, I seem to have found the solution to my problem. Gigabyte made the G33M-DS2R which has everything I need, and has the PCI-E socket for the gfx card closest to the CPU socket, so my rad and fans will fit internally!

Now, only problem is that the board isn't black, so this is going to throw my theme off. Any suggestions on a new theme????

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  15. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

spraypaint?

I dont see why you couldnt. mask up everything on the board, and make sure the paint isnt conductive.

16. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Warranty? :Paranoid:

17. Captain-Nasty

Captain-Nasty Member

Maybe go from black to .... Blue ;)

Gigabyte mobo + Video card + ram hmmm what ram is blue? some old giel heat spreaders?

18. slamaa

slamaa Member

make a motherboard cover out of perpex and motherboard standoffs.

19. OP
    OP
    Statts

Statts RIP

Well, I've changed the project's name to .:LIL WONDER:. being that the black theme is out the window.

Also, for those unfamiliar with the case, here are some pics from the Silverstone website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  20. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

you could change the colour of the board with a dye like what L2N overclockers cover their bords in to stop condensation problem but this will vois warranty (ive seen a few colours of that stuff).

Or you can make a thin aliminum or perspecs cover for the board, drill holes for the caps and socket so it can be flush with the board (paint the cover black).

For a gheto fix use black electrical tape and take it off for warranty if you ever need and change the name of the project to gheto

Other than that not much that you can do other than sell the board and get another one you probally should have looked into the colour befor you purchased it.