Project Monolith

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by rainwulf, Jan 8, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

HOLY SHIT

What a response!!!
    Engadget!!

So um.. haha
    Time to answer the questions in the thread, and also explains some more.
    Thanks to all the responses!!

Now the specific questions!

t8y: no.. was given the card :)

vellanet: made it myself using the plugs from other sata power adapters. They just splice in rather easily actually.

rdorman: The power supply death is actually more involved then you think.
    I did actually insulate the copper plate from the heatsink on the power supply, and earthed it as you can see in the pics. I used a plastic thermal conductor shim between the plate and the power supply aluminium heatsink. I had already measured and found out that that plate sits at full recitified AC voltage (around 400 volts DC). The problem was that unknown to me, the heatsink was fairly rough, and had some sharp machining marks on the aluminum that punched through the plastic shim. I had tested it before turning it on, but it the 400 volts was just enough to punch through the hole and short out the entire thing :(

AussieJester: Yea, looked at alternative pumps... The fact is that all these pipes are in parallel. Each one might be fairly restrictive, but there is a good 12 of them, plus a much wider link between the CPU block. 10 mm actually. The flow in the system is actually fairly impressive, and it takes a while for the air to come out of the coolant due to the churning inside the res.
    I did check out some alternative pumps and an iwaki is on the cards. Just low on cash at the moment, and i really want to actually FINISH the case.
    Donate? :)

flinchy: Its actually very quiet, with the fans on 5 volts. Thats why i used 4 of them, slow speed, but between 4 of them, thats a low of slow but solid air flow.
    Spinning up a DVD/CD is actually louder then the fans!
    The pump is nearly silent, i packed all its spare spaces inside with silicone, which help dampen it.

hotsuma: Yes, changing things is kinda fun haha
    The easiest thing to change is the CPU.
    Which is actually what is getting changed soon, for a Phenom II Black Edition.
    Still waiting on the damn 1066 ram!

ob1: The reason for this? To see if i could really. I know its overkill, and as engadget said, of my rocker. I cooled my SOUND card.
    I was just.. bored i guess. I even cooled the damn ICS clock generator chip!
    I do plan on finishing it of with smoked perspex sides, green CFLs, and a few bits of strange things that i have yet to reveal!!! (its for the theme i stated at the beginning)
    The aim is to have it basically look like a black monolith (its namesake) until turned on, then its fantastic interior will light up. The front will be covered with something similar to black speaker cloth.

The Primary objective is to just see if its possible to cool everything, and to also show the world that you dont need 1/2 inch pipes to cool northbridges and all that. Every single thing apart from the cpu is cooled with tubing with an inner diameter of just 4mm. its overkill and yet, fully functional. It works perfectly, and fast, especially once i get my 1066 ram and Phenom II.

I do plan on getting a new video card one day, and of course, that will entail making new blocks for the card. That, and get a REAL x-fi card, because the one i have is a crappy extrememusic that uses an Audigy chip, and thus, all effects are done in software... grr.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

aren't you glad we moved the images to ocau's servers:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

:)

3. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Agg... HOLY SHIT

To those worried about the leaks, and the hoses coming off... which addresses the engadget crowd a bit more hopefully...

The pipes are actually firmly attached, using small bore silicone tubing over the copper tubes, and then i force the larger bore clear silicone OVER the small bore stuff.
    [​IMG]

The smallbore silicone fits VERY tightly over the copper, and doesnt move. The large silicone tubing is then forced over the small stuff, and makes a very tight seal.
    I actually have to stretch the large bore stuff with pliers to get it over the small bore stuff. It all then contracts to become an even stronger seal thats totally waterproof, and doesnt come apart. You have to actually use pliers to pull it off again if you need to. I have actually bent the copper tubing trying to remove these connections.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

More updates!!!!
    New camera!! Canon Ixus 8015. Not bad considering the price.

These pics are more updates and close ups of the areas i kind of glossed over.

Detail of the PCI plate attachment. There will be one more plate that will go on the left that holds the bottom of the cards in. At the moment, they are wedged against the motherboard. Not an ideal situation.
    [​IMG]

Another view of that.
    [​IMG]
    The PSU mounts arent all crash hot, they will be fixed and i will replace it with a proper plate.

The top of the Hard Drive rack mount.
    [​IMG]

And the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see there, the main lines between the bottom and top manifolds, the radiator and the pump is 1/2 inch tubing.

To replace drives, the entire rack folds out on hinges.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the northbridge Mosfet cooler. You can also see some of the video card ram sink blocks, and the actual north bridge cooler. It needs a polish....
    [​IMG]

Back end of the system, showing the block cooling the pump (chuckle)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fans are easily removable using 6 screws, this allows me to clean cat hair out of the radiator *shakes fist at cat*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frontal view, showing its size relative to a standard case.
    [​IMG]

The temperature meter. Probably will be moved because it will be covered when the case is finished.
    It shows on the left, the ambient temperature and air going into the radiator, and on the right, the temperature of the water coming out of the radiator.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up side view, after a bit of cable management.
    [​IMG]
    link here for full size version (big pic)
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/images/monolith/IMG_0055.JPG
    Power/ide/switch are hanging over the top for the moment. I also plan on moving some of the tubes around to have them drop completely vertical, not at an angle. I screwed up on that...

Coolant level indicator. You can see the marks i have left from previous fills, as an indicator to see if there are any tiny leaks.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the CPU block mounts and piping.
    Cool water goes into the middle, and spreads out to the 4 outlets, collected by the 4 port manifold, which then takes the warm coolant to the bottom where its then cooled again by the radiator.
    [​IMG]

ICS clock gen chip... normally cooled by case air flow, of which there isnt much in this!
    When overclocking, this chip got extraordinarily hot... so it got a block as well.
    [​IMG]

Extreme close up of the pipe seal/connectors.
    [​IMG]

one of the reasons i used thin pipe, it needs to be bent and put into very tight locations!
    [​IMG]

In some case, a right angle connector cant be avoided, in this case, the closeness of the video card mosfet psu module to the 6 pin PCI-E adaptor.
    [​IMG]

Another view showing the tight fit. Here its the cool flow into the top memory cooling circuit.
    [​IMG]

Damn cat hair EVERYWHERE....

Once the case is complete and the dust filters are on, this shouldnt happen anymore.

5. bluepanda

bluepanda Member

This build is legendary dude. Possibly the most interesting ive ever seen. Keep up the good work :)

6. Axe

Axe Member

nice going rainwulf, looks like a ton of work, build time?

has that ghetto look, but f#!& unique !! :thumbup:

7. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

Cool! (pun intended :p)

I like the hard drive mounting scheme.

I understand why you removed the fins from the radiator, to get it to fit into your design.
    I would have left them on though to maximise the heat removal but that would mean making a bigger case, damn you are giving me ideas that I can't afford to do. :D

I would also have used a cross flow fan or 2 but your way still works well.

I like the way you have the tubing attached to the copper piping, I first thought why not flare the ends of the copper pipes and then install the tubing with silicone sealant between the pipe and tubing behind the flare and then put a zip tie around it but your way is much neater as the zip ties would not look as good.

To stop the copper tarnishing you could polish it and then coat it in polyurethane like you use on floorboards which will keep the oxygen away, make it a bit glossy and still allow heat to conduct to the air with minimal resistance.

You could use one of those silver pens that they used to sell in Dick Smith Electronics for drawing PCB tracks as that would prevent tarnishing but it would detract from the steampunk coppery look.

I like the idea of 'if it produces heat water cool it' as I wanted to do something like that but money does not permit such things for me, damn you money *shakes fist at money*
    The nearest I have seen to anything like this is the idea of dunking the whole PC in an aquarium full of mineral oil but how messy is that and imagine trying to sell the parts when you upgrade:
    "Parts kept cool, a little oily though"
    "Slick PC parts for sale"
    :D

The green coolant gives an organic look to the tubing, kind of like a radiation induced mutation between organism and machine, like a cyborg that is mostly machine, a bit like in Star Trek where they have the neuro-cellular network (I can't remember the name, it has been too long since I have seen that episode).

8. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Thanks for the comments LeadAccelerator (lol gun)

Cross flow fans dont have a lot of static pressure. The fan that came with this aircon unit was designed to suck air from the evaporater of the full length, plus the segments on the side as well. They dont lend themselves too well to being slowed down for noise limiting, and also.. SO MUCH SPACE.
    The axial fans do a great job, now that i have my phenom II, they are staying at 5 volts.

Most of the copper in monolith has already been polished and painted with the lacquer. Some parts however i was too keen on getting installed, and have missed out on the cleaning. For the final assembly of the case, its being stripped down completely, all copper and aluminium parts cleaned and polished and reassembled. thats going to be a BIG job.

"The green coolant gives an organic look to the tubing, kind of like a radiation induced mutation between organism and machine, like a cyborg that is mostly machine, a bit like in Star Trek where they have the neuro-cellular network (I can't remember the name, it has been too long since I have seen that episode)."

Thats where the finishing touches are coming in, secret for the moment!!

9. lowdog

lowdog Member

I see a level of ecentricity in your dedication to this project that is nothing short of amazing. :)

10. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

That looks awesome nice work.

11. link1896

link1896 Member

nice work dude

if you watercool another psu, cool the transformer(s), they get pretty hot. Might need to watch the output inductors too.

12. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

I have been asked so many times "what's a lead accelerator?", you got it in 1. :thumbup:

I didn't know that about cross flow fans.

Looking forward to those finishing touches.

13. jastormont

jastormont Member

Be a bugger if it leaks! :)

14. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Teaser pic here of the next step....

[​IMG]

Thats not the final position of the UV cathode, it will be moved, and the sides are going to be a dark green perspex. The perspex will totally block the UV light, and all you will see is the glowing organic looking pipes, and the other things planned.

15. sympozium

sympozium Member

this is going to be quite spectacular once its finished, and your a trekkie! (judging by ur sig :p ) did somebody say borg? good luck to you sir

16. Pipster

Pipster Member

that is cool in so many different ways

17. wvxman

wvxman Member

I can't wait to see the finished product with the perspex sides attached. It already looks fkn sweet. :thumbup::thumbup:

18. droo

droo Member

OMG Sweet......:Paranoid: hope i dont cross yer path in any games...:Paranoid: ....what about the modem???:lol:

:shock: outstanding work mate....

19. tre75

tre75 Member

I would like too assimilate rainwulf's build into my own :D

20. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

Ice hot! :thumbup:
    I wonder if anyone can guess where I got that from? A cookie if you can guess and an extra cookie and stat boost if you can guess the name of the character who said it. ;)

That CCFL looks like a plasma power conduit and seeing as a CCFL is a plasma tube that seems very appropriate, a pity the perspex will be blocking it but I still can't wait to see what it will look like with the perspex anyway.