[WORKLOG] Project - Pill - External Cooling Tower

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by theicemagic, Jun 2, 2016.

1. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I was debating as to if I should post this now, or once it's completed, but thought what the hey.

I water-cooled a while back, but have since gone back to air cooling. Inspired by a few guys on OCAU recently but deciding I'm really happy with my Lian-Li V1000 case and there's no room to put good water-cooling in it with all the gear, I've opted to go the external water cooling route.

The inspiration for the design is the Mac Pro, and just generally elegant, simple shapes. There'll be more to come, but the whole system will be cooled by a single 200mm fan, and will be fitted with 3 x 360mm radiators. The cooler will be a self contained unit, meaning it'll have its own pumps, reservoirs and piping. On the back (Pictured in the first picture) will be two quick release plugs (not pictured). One for incoming and the other for outgoing water, this will connect to a PC and allow for easy transportation.

The vast majority of parts will be 3D printed in PLA, and has already started. Because of limited size volume of the 3D printer, each component will be broken into several pieces and printed that way.

I was originally going to outsource some 3D printing (core) but at nearly 700 to print in a single unit, it was too expensive.

The other components I was going to outsource was the exterior to be done in sintered stainless steel, but the cost was so high, I could buy a Mac Pro, tear it down and use it to make a cool water-cooling system, and buy a second one to use for real.

Click to view full size!

Total View

Click to view full size!

Exploded View

It should be noted, that while it has colour here, the final unit will be painted black, as well as being puttied to fill in crevices and imperfections in the finish of the 3D Printing process.

UPDATE 1:
    Printing Update
    I've printed out two components for the core so far. The top flange that adapts it to the 200mm fan.
    There's a few imperfections (not shown) in the flange surface, which will need to be sanded and filled properly.
    Each part takes about 12.5 hours to print (So far 25 hours) on those alone.

Click to view full size!

Next is the start of the core. This will sit immediately under the reducer that's been printed.
    Here's a photo of it coming along nicely.

Click to view full size!

UPDATE 2:
    Minor update to the design. Due to printing limitations, and necessity for additional strength in the outer shell, I've changed the fin design to a diamond grill. I also think it looks better, and will be easier in the long run.

Click to view full size!

UPDATE 3:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Project currently stands about 20cm tall.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Looking forward to seeing this. Love the design work so far. Very cool.

My next wc build.will be external too. But the rad will live under my house.

3. OP
    OP
    theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Printing Update
    I've printed out two components for the core so far. The top flange that adapts it to the 200mm fan.
    There's a few imperfections (not shown) in the flange surface, which will need to be sanded and filled properly.
    Each part takes about 12.5 hours to print (So far 25 hours) on those alone.

Click to view full size!

Next is the start of the core. This will sit immediately under the reducer that's been printed.
    Here's a photo of it coming along nicely.

Click to view full size!

Commenting - I wanted to do that too Paulie, but not this day. ^_^' I don't live in my own house here.

Printing Update 2

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Project currently stands about 20cm tall.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. OP
    OP
    theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Update 4:

Click to view full size!

The core is done, You can see a part printed with black, unfortunately there wasn't enough blue to last for the whole part.
    The remaining components will be printed in black (with the exception of the outside which will be white).

A few minor adjustments. Due to a few factors (print lifting from the base plate is one) the top flange will be replaced with a new section, with holes in different locations.

The picture shows a 200mm fan placed above, and everything so far is checking out. More will come tomorrow.

Something else I've worked out is how to fusion weld using the Dremel and a bit of PLA.

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Awesome :thumbup:

I can see that I need a 3D printer. Only problem is my wife and I cannot think of enough cool things to justify one. :upset:. One day.

Are you leaving access to screw the rads on? Is that what the rib down the side is?

6. OP
    OP
    theicemagic

theicemagic Member

yeah. the only part I'm outsourcing is having some water cut aluminium plate for those parts. (2mm)
    These plates are bolted to each other on the side in the exploded diagram. Those little notches are the mounting point for these parts. For Simplicity, I'm thinking I might fill with a goop like paste, and put in some nuts that can be permanently mounted there... Not sure yet. I'm doing a bit on the fly.

The whole core section will be removable from the outer casing.

There is a problem with this PLA and that is it's heat sensitive. The system itself can't get above 60 degrees basically, so it's going to have six bronze rods through the whole system holding it in place.

7. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Looks like this should be a good little project.

(trying very hard not to accidently pun the word 'cool' in this post)

8. Seikeden

Seikeden Member

Why are you using PLA? You realise it's water soluble? Not very water soluble but if it's gonna be immersed in warm water 24/7 I wouldn't expect it to last long.

9. OP
    OP
    theicemagic

theicemagic Member

It's not going to be immersed into water... It's a frame work for a water cooling unit. In addition, it's going to be completely sealed. That's step two after everything is printed.

10. Seikeden

Seikeden Member

ohhh I see. I thought you were going to put an impeller in there at the top or bottom. Lol. I get it. Cool.

11. OP
    OP
    theicemagic

theicemagic Member

No problem. I'll have more details as I develop them. It's somewhat on the fly.