Project: Scratch build Caerula 56K

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by MorgzMods, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

EDIT: after some unfortunate circumstances this year, schooling and limited funds i will not be following through with this build.
    I'd like to thank The Kool Room for the sponsorship, the owner is a great guy and has been very understanding.

[​IMG]

Finally decided to start the worklog!

Scratch build using quebeloc frame, acrylic side panels with a theme of grand bleu, b-magic or aquamarine for the sleeve, on powdercoated black.
    the budget for the materials in the build is as low as possible. so far i've spent something like $60 on the framework, acrylic and aluminium.

Shall start with a bit from one of the sponsors :D

A nice, sexy box
    [​IMG]

Yummy packing foam
    [​IMG]

Even yummier confectionary
    [​IMG]

the confectionary has had an oversized baby
    [​IMG]

That just happens to be a cpu block
    [​IMG]

BUT WAIT, there's more :lol:
    [​IMG]

This will keep me going!
    [​IMG]

A group shot before two of the three disappear never to be seen again :D
    [​IMG]

Stelios at TheKoolRoom has ever so kindly agreed to sponsor me for this build. Both are awesome guys, dedicated to giving the best service.

i've been working slowly on the build for over two months so far, and due to being at school and having a sleeving project (as well as my own sleeivng) work will be going slow for a while.

The basic design of the build can be seen below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and real life pics:
    Motherboard tray cut from an antec 200 i retired a while ago + test psu
    [​IMG]

The psu sits in there snugly.
    [​IMG]

The black line you can see running horizontally along the motherboard tray was the cut line. I've run a bit of 3mm alu bar across the gap to keep the tray firm
    [​IMG]

and the sheet alu that'll be powder coated and somehow mounted to the sides of the case
    [​IMG]

At one stage i was going to use 20mm angle alu to make the hard drive rails, but after a bit of trial and error i went with an acrylic one, as has been seen by a few in the modding section

a bit of testing
    [​IMG]

glued and drilled :D
    [​IMG]
    This will be re made with some better acrylic, and if i'm lucky something a bit thicker.

suggestions would be appreciated! especially on the mounting of the sides to the case. the frame work is about 1mm thick, so it won't hold a thread properly.
    i do have some screw caps from MDPC to cover the screws if i can find a way to mount them

let me know what you think :)

Pictures of hardware and everything will be coming this week hopefully :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Been watching this unfold and lending my lack of assistance and insight via MSN and phone. Morgz has put quite a bit of brainpower and effort into this. Can't wait to get up there and see it in the flesh :)

Keep up the good work mate :thumbup:

3. Intensity

Intensity Member

Looking sweet m8. :tongue::thumbup: You must have a lot of spare time on your hands to be putting all that dedication into your fine work.

mmmmmmmm my favourite rockstar, and Jelly beans. :D:lol:

4. OP
    OP
    MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

Thanks for the kind words gents :D
    I won't for the next week and a bit. Martz is very keen for the ax1200 to be finished. so lots of sleeving to come! lets hope i'm not totally sick of it by the time i'm due to do mine :lol:

5. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Don't forget I've gotta send mine up yet :p

6. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

nice work.
    that a wooden frame?

7. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Qubelok. Aluminium :thumbup:

8. brayway

brayway Member

Where abouts in Brizzie are you?
    Would love to take a look at this, always wanted to build my own case,
    but never had the reason for one..... :Paranoid:

9. OP
    OP
    MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

beat me too it. by a day.

I'm on the southside mate :) specifically 4123.
    it doesn't look like much as i've de-assembled most of it to work on different parts. but more then welcome to come check it out when i'm done.

may not have updates untill mid to late next week, as i've got lots of sleeving and school work :thumbdn:

10. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Gotta be on the ball around here buddy :p

Got my bay in now :lol:. Can't wait to see this in person when I fly up. What's news on the laser cutting/etching front?

11. DeejW

DeejW Member

looking good mate. its really satisfying having a case on your desk which you built from scratch. It always take longer than you expect but its well worth it.

I have some spare clear acrylic if you run out too.

12. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Hey mate, looking good. Keen to see where where you're going with it.

Sounds interesting.... :thumbup:

13. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I've been thinking about your side panel mounting conundrum... I reckon using magnets glued on the inside of the Qubelok extrusions could be a really neat way to do it, but that would obviously limit you to using steel side panels and you've already got the alu. The magnets would probably be a bit pricey too (unless you've got a couple of old HDDs lying around that you don't mind destroying!).

Another way would be to use threaded inserts like these - http://www.yardleyproducts.com/products.php - with some countersunk bolts. Get some timber that is close to the ID of the extrusion, mount the inserts into the timber, drill holes in the extrusion to line up with the inserts, then glue the timber into the inside of the extrusion. The only issue is, I 'm not sure where you could get the inserts in small quantities in Aus...

14. callum14

callum14 Member

yeah me too looks like a good build. I like how you did it all up in sketch up first ;) I want to design my file server in inventor and have it all milled/cut

15. Mensuri

Mensuri Member

looks good so far mate - how are you going to fix the acrylic to the cube lock?

16. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Come on Morgz get ya ass into gear and give us another update :p

17. OP
    OP
    MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

Cheers for the suggestion mate :D i wouldn't of though about them at all. I could go for a Pressed-In Swaged one to mount onto the plastic corners.

Cheers for the kind words :) i've gotten a few compliments on it, but i have to admit the detail isn't 100% mine, probably 75% of the parts were downloaded from the sketchup database :D

At this stage i think i'll have the acrylic mounted onto the alu which will in turn be mounted onto the quebeloc.

shut it you! when i finally finish this ax1200, i'll still have sleeving to go thanks to you :lol:

18. SYF_Karma

SYF_Karma Member

looking good man, keep up the work, MORE PICS

19. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Yeah, MINE! :p