1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Serpentine

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by EpicPcCases, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

how'd the sleeving go mate? :D
    very very VERY excited to see the brilliant results.

2. Shadow_n

Shadow_n Member

3. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I have got some more pics, but waiting for a bit before I post them, had a very busy weekend, but unfortunately not a lot to do with the build, so I've only really connected the rad fans up and sleeved them and tested it all on the fan controller, got progress and completed pics of that, will show you soon once they are both done and I'm happy.

Sleeve is brilliant, and so easy to work with. Just waiting on some more ATX 8-pin connectors from a gentleman on these forums and I'll get going on the PSU.

Also some more exciting news, the designs for my 'Serpentine' font and logo are almost done and ready for the big reveal, this has taken a lot of time and can't wait to see it etched into some Acrylic! So stay tuned as that all should happen soonish, Dan and I will hopefully have everything ready and designed by the time he gets his news CNC, and we can cut everything and have it ready for shipment pretty quickly, so it time to get a move on from my side and get all the bits and pieces ready for the case.

Exciting stuff!:D

Aaron

4. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

EpicPcCases (Banned or Deleted)

Should be good, it's one of the first times an outside designer has had an influence on my cases and hopefully won't be the last as I am not a designer haha.

5. JamalH

JamalH Member

Just looked at your epic cases channel and youtube and man im impressed.

6. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

::Update time!::

So I've done some more work, today was wasn't as productive as I would have liked, but had a few 'senior moments' and have to start again wasting a few hours of productivity. But I did get some stuff done, so I thought I would post it all for you to see.

Finished the other rads and fans. All ready for the fan controller.

Here's all the fans attached to the rad with their cables as they come out of the box.

[​IMG]

Standard sleeving removed...

[​IMG]

On the first 2 fans cut and shrunk the cables I wouldn't be needing.

[​IMG]

Sleeving the cables up to the joins.

[​IMG]

Splitting the cables to solder then heat shrink them for my parallel circuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished product!

[​IMG]

Can get some shots of these things running on the fan controller if anyone is interested. Can't wait to get them into the case and see how they go. Right next to each other, they are barely audible @ 900rpm or 8.0-8.5v. I have to get my ear right up close to hear them. But they do become 'noticeable' @ full speed (1750rpm, 12-12.5v)

But the most exciting part of today!
    My Aquacomputer GTX460 Block went for a electrolytic swim today!
    Here's some pics of the outing.

Firstly, getting undressed ready for the swim.

[​IMG]

The water was pretty turbulent, after only 10 mins. She looked like this!

[​IMG]

And a cheeky shot from behind

[​IMG]

Closer inspection from my Q&A Team...

[​IMG]

And all dressed up and ready to join the family :D

[​IMG]

As you can see the results are INCREDIBLE. For those of you in Melbourne thinking of getting anything done, I can't recommend highly enough this place. I called up, spoke to the guy for like 2 mins. He said to pop down. He took 1 look at the block. Said no-problems, happy to do it now while you wait.

And the best part.

He charged me $5.

That's it!

On the spot, done. And perfect work.

It's called Helren Plating

That's all the info I have on his business. But if you need anything done.

Anyways. I'll hopefully have some more updates in days to come.

Aaron

7. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

$5! Bargain! That block looks fantastic, same goes for the wiring on the fans.

8. Masska

Masska Member

you should take care posting all this pron on a public forum, you never know who's watching :leet:

Seriously though that 460 looks so much more sweeter in nickel :thumbup:

9. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Cheers Nom!
    It doesn't look like much, but it sure took a long time! haha

You should be careful selling such beautiful pieces to people! My misses is almost putting me on the couch given I spend so much time with it since your box 'o' beauties arrived!
    haha

10. Rory K

Rory K Member

Wow, VERY nice! Keep 'em coming!

I did a similar thing with the fans with my Gentle Typhoons, except messier and without the sexy sleeving :lol: works a treat though.

11. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

VERY Nice mate. I'm having a bit of a dilemma though. Well actually a shit load.
    But a fairly simple one that maybe you can help out with is to do with my fans.
    I'm powering them off a custom modded laptop powersupply to provide about 12v for them, running into a switch (toggle, on-off-on - yes, 3 options :lol:) and having a resistor to bring them to a lower speed. Now, from there, should i have 1 3pin fan power connector, and daisy chain the fans like you have there, OR should i have 3 fan adaptors, and organise some sexy sleeving for everything (this would mean fans are re-usable)

12. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

The second option is a much safer option, future proofing for moving and switching also RMA purposes. But yes, to make it neat you need to sleeve more and have some way of dealing with all the connectors. So ultimately it's your decision. It have be done well either way. I liked the daisy chain because it's less cables to manage, and does look neat just tucked away. Almost out of sight out of mind. But some creative and neat cable management and lots of cables can be made to look awesome, so the other could be put to good use also.

Sorry for the 'sitting on the fence' type answer, but I think it's pretty personal choice with that one.

Let me know which you choose and how you go with it!

Aaron

Also: MDPC-X has the crimping tool in stock... So VERY tempted...

13. brayway

brayway Member

How did you remove the small bit of plastic like that? cant imagine it being easy, unless there is a tool for it.....:shock:

14. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Did you mean the 'o' ring on the block? The black thing around the edge?

That's not plastic, it's rubber. Keeps the water in the block when i put the cover back on...

And believe me, getting it out wasn't the hard part... Getting the #$%er back in was the hard part!:lol:

15. AlastairT

AlastairT Member

I'll second that. You need a ten person team to do it without shouting at the thing.

16. brayway

brayway Member

Lol i can imagine that wouldnt be easy. Though i was actually talking about this:
    [​IMG]

17. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

It's called a knife and some elbow grease :lol:

Also called wire strippers, but they're more expensive and less useful than knives. :Paranoid:

18. brayway

brayway Member

still im guessing you would have to cut along the sides then length ways which is the part i would find hard....

19. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

Noo, actually, if you can track down a set of 'automatic' (not kidding - their called this) aldi had some a week ago, sold like bloody crazy, i picked up a pair from bunnings though, and their bloody awesome! They strip it exactly like shown in the pic, no extra work needed, nothing!

And OP - DO IT :lol::D
    News regarding my PM?

20. jimlims

jimlims Member

Nah, it's not that hard, just like when you peel an apple skin with a knife.

If the wire is too small then lighter/candle work wonder.:thumbup:

Neat and awesome project OP. Any update with the case part :thumbup::thumbup: