Projector vs TV

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Dan706, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Dan706

Dan706 Member

We've got a big light coloured blank wall in our loungeroom. We only use our TV, a 46" Series 5 Samsung LCD, for watching movies or Netflix via an old PC we've got rigged up.

We're considering using the big blank space as a projector space instead of using our TV, because the TV is too small for the room, but due to money constraints I'd only be able to afford a second hand projector. Is this worth doing?

If it's worth looking at a second hand projector, what models are should I be looking at for watching movies/Netflix?

TIA! :thumbup:

2. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Definitely do it. You wont look back.

Go for a big brand like Sony, epson, Sanyo, JVC or Infocus. Avoid no-name brands as lamps will be hard to get.

Make sure it has HDMI and does 1920x1080 - if it doesnt, walk away as it will be quite old.

Anything over 3000 lumens brightness will be a data projector, not a theatre projector, so check that the model you're considering is advertised by the manufacturer as a "Home theatre" projector (If not, its a data/presentation projector and it wont handle motion well or do colours accurately).

3. Zee

Zee Member

As above - I'd probably lean a little towards Epson, though any of the above will produce a great image - though well worth looking for a model with lens shift (both axis).

Pureglare have been pretty good for globes at reasonable prices.

Z...

4. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Get a laser projector.

5. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

they tend to be over $3000 - if Op can only afford second hand, he hasnt got more than $2000 for this acquisition.

Dan706 likes this.
  6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Depends on how big you want it. You might be better off getting something like the Hisense 7 series in 70" if you can find it.

I love my projector (130") but doesnt really hold a candle to my OLED 55" in terms of quality.

Dan706 likes this.
  7. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Yeah I picked one up for $1400 used. So incredibly lucky. Fingers crossed it serves me for a long time. PTRZ370. Gumtree and patience will work a treat.

Its a bit soft on the focus but my eye sight says I can't tell the difference :D

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Projectors work well, but you need a very dark room for good contrast levels. A dedicated theatre room with block-out curtains will work much better than an open lounge room.

Selby sell an new Epson EH-TW5600 1080p HD projector with warranty + 120" fixed frame screen + 10m hdmi cable and a ceiling mount package for $1,539: https://www.selby.com.au/home-theatre-projector-package-starter-pack-500.html

9. OP
    OP
    Dan706

Dan706 Member

Thanks for the info guys, I'll start hunting around. We're shopping for curtains in the immediate future, so block-out curtains for the lounge area is high priority ;)

10. srey

srey Member

Ah man, I miss my projector so fucking much!

Our last place was a big old house and i had a projector setup in the lounge. It was a pretty ghetto setup (hanging off 4x2s suspended between the picture rails on the walls) but it was awesome.

I got a second hand Mitsubishi hc4000 and a 100” fixed screen for $400 off the dtv forums. Black levels weren't brilliant but the overall picture quality was quite nice.

11. Zee

Zee Member

Same. I had a 120" screen set up - had some epic nights playing Halo with mates - Had a second room with another projector set up, a 3rd room with a 50" plasma, and a 4th 40" LCD, only the 40" didn't have a 5.1 surround system attached. I miss those days!

Z...

12. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I still have my Epson TW-3200 1080p projector, run's brilliant, every bit as good as the day I bought it.

Problem is that I don't have the time I used to to watch movies anymore... :(

13. mtma

mtma Member

I went a year without a projector setup, glad to have it back. The comments about versatility are true though: if it weren't the case I would probably use the projector for everything.

14. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I haven't got one of these new fandangled LCD's. I run my 50" plasma for everything, of an evening when I wanna watch a movie I pull the screen down in front of the plasma and fire up the projector - Works a treat.

15. steffan72

steffan72 Member

You must be using an average projector then. My 120 inch JVC-x7000 absolutely kills my 75 inch uled tv in terms of picture quality. Theyre not even in the same ballpark

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You may have missed the "OLED" part of sTeeLzor's comment - there are no projectors that can match OLED's crazy contrast or basically instant pixel response time. OLED is in a totally different class to any LED backlit LCD display.

Dan706 likes this.
  17. steffan72

steffan72 Member

i did miss the oled part. I stand corrected. for me personally.......i would still go the 120 inch for pure immersion. Each to their own though

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Same. 55" is just too small these days even if it is OLED.

19. steffan72

steffan72 Member

120 inch is just normal for me now.......140 would be great if i had a wall big enuf to fit it

20. darknebula

darknebula Member

Same here, my wife looks at me like i'm mad when i suggest watching something on the 55" plasma