1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Projectors in Oz

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by flain, Sep 22, 2007.

1. flain

flain Member

Hey guys, i'm looking to purchase a 1080p projector. I'm after anyones experiences with the following: http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/emptw1000.asp

The Epson EMP-TW1000 - looks to be the australian equivilant to the powerlite pro cinema. Cheapest ive found around the web is $4000.

Optoma HD80 - very cheap in the US 2.5k, about $6k in Australia, no idea why???
    Maybe i just can't find the right distributers here? If anyone has a Optoma HD80 can they comment on the rainbow effect? Whenever i watch movies on my parents DLP projector i can't stand it and for some reason it gets worse after i have a few beers :p. This projector is supposed to have the fastest colour wheel yet so id be interested to know if the rainbow effect is still visible to people who can see it.

2. Moby Disc

Moby Disc Member

You are best going to the DTV forums to discuss high end projectors.

I am looking at upgrading my DLP data projector to a home theatre projector. I am not too worried about 1080p so will get a 720p model. I have pretty well settled on the Sanyo Z5 as its a good, reliable projector to all accounts. So the decision is how to buy it. If I buy an Australian import it will cost a bit over $2000. If I buy a grey import off eBay it will cost a bit under $2000. If I buy from Price Japan it will cost a bit under $1500 including freight.

The only problem buying from Price Japan is if the thing needs a warranty repair it costs $300 to ship it back to Japan and back.

Plenty of forum members on DTV buy stuff from Price Japan. As they are all into high end stuff they are getting the new 1080p projectors.

I think Epson has an international warranty so the problem of shipping over to Japan and back may not apply if you buy the Epson.

3. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Wow, checked out price japan and the current price on the Epson TW1000 is $2,743. Pretty darn cheap for a 1080p projector!

4. Wildcard342

Wildcard342 Member

Hi,
    The Epson TW 2000 has just been released and is on price japan now. It seems second gen is usually the way to go.

5. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Get the 1000, the 2000 is apparently not covered under Australian international warranty, as with all new stuff from now on with fkn epson, apparently at least

6. The King

The King Member

I was about to buy that TW1000, the guys at DTV Forums suggested holding off a couple of months as a glut of new models are coming out shortly.

7. Wildcard342

Wildcard342 Member

Where did you find this out?? Pricejapan didnt say this was epsons new policy. What a bugger as I have delayed purchasing because I wanted to see the tw2000 the Mitsu hs6000 and the new sony 60 specs before I decided. The international warrenty was a big plus for epson.

8. Moby Disc

Moby Disc Member

Thats always the problem but it looks like it will be the case. Early next year higher resolution projectors will be thick on the ground and manufacturers will be keen to offload them.

9. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Looks like its not actually out yet, if you click on the link to it it says:

"Its release is scheduled on \' the end of November, 2007 \'.

Its price will be more downed when it is actually released.

We will post real price on Nov 20, and will start to accept orders.

Currently, we don\'t know any details about TW2000 projector ( including OSD langauge , warranty issue.)

Please do NOT inquire about the price / availability / pre-order / OSD langauge, before Nov 20.

"

From here:
    http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=428&category=11

10. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Bugger. Well the 2 years international warranty on the 1000 is pretty awesome for an imported projector. I think i'll be ordering one of these next pay day :)

11. Moby Disc

Moby Disc Member

Just remember who put you onto Price Japan so please let us know how your buying experience goes.

12. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Will do, and thanks! :)

13. iNeLuKi

iNeLuKi (Banned or Deleted)

Cine4home has a few details about the TW2000 here. One thing worth noting is the 3 year / 1700hr lamp warranty

TW1000 review

14. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Thats funny, price japan and kakaku aren't matching up...

15. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

I rang epson regarding the 2 year int warranty on the tw700 and tw1000..

It only applies if you purchased the projector in person from an international store..

eg. bought it in japan on a recent trip etc.

however.. it depends on whether they can proove you didnt i suppose..

I couldnt be stuffed worrying about warranty and shipping etc.. so i bought the TW700 locally from DSE powerhouse for just over $2k with 5 years warranty and a spare globe..

16. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Placed my order last night for the tw1000 at pricejapan. Unfortunatly the price had gone up to $2600 but i don't really want to wait around.

Transferred the money over probably still needs to clear.

I will update when i recieve the projector.

17. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

I made an enquiry with pricejapan as i hadn't heard anything. Turns out they shipped it already. Heres the tracking so far, i wonder if that means its gotten through customs already?

Detailed Report

Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 03, 2007 16:39 Tokyo - Japan Shipment picked up

October 03, 2007 21:08 Tokyo - Japan Departed from DHL facility in Tokyo - Japan

October 04, 2007 00:58 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Arrived at DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong

October 04, 2007 01:07 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Clearance processing complete at Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong

October 04, 2007 02:46 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong

October 04, 2007 07:02 Singapore - Hub - Singapore Arrived at DHL facility in Singapore - Hub - Singapore

October 04, 2007 08:23 Singapore - Hub - Singapore Departed from DHL facility in Singapore - Hub - Singapore

October 04, 2007 22:08 Sydney - Australia Arrived at DHL facility in Sydney - Australia

October 04, 2007 22:08 Sydney - Australia Clearance processing complete at Sydney - Australia

October 05, 2007 00:28 New South Wales Outlying Areas - Australia Delivery arranged no details expected

18. TOX

TOX Member

I just ordered a TW1000 from PJ

I had to do 2 payments because of the bank limit - 1 $2500 the other $168 - The $2500 showed up today but the $168 hasn't - I hope they ship it out today anway I emailed them and that about it.

If it ships today it could be here Monday which is my birthday :)

19. Zee

Zee Member

You do know you can change the limit, right? Just call your bank :)

Z..

20. TOX

TOX Member

It doesnt matter becauseeeeeeeeeee

These are the results of your query
    Times given are local to the service area in which the shipment checkpoint is recorded

Airwaybill
    Number Origin
    Service Area Destination
    Service Area Status
    Nagoya - Japan Melbourne - Australia Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong as of: October 05, 2007 02:55

2069481923 - Detailed Report
    Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint Details
    October 04, 2007

16:55
    Nagoya - Japan Shipment picked up
    October 04, 2007

18:26
    Nagoya - Japan Departed from DHL facility in Nagoya - Japan
    October 04, 2007

19:14
    Nagoya - Japan Arrived at DHL facility in Nagoya - Japan
    October 04, 2007

21:23
    Nagoya - Japan Departed from DHL facility in Nagoya - Japan
    October 05, 2007

01:08
    Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong Arrived at DHL facility in Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong
    October 05, 2007

01:30
    Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong Clearance processing complete at Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong
    October 05, 2007

02:55
    Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong Hub - Hong Kong