1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Proluma triple Monitor Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by terroristone, Apr 28, 2010.

1. terroristone

terroristone Member

ok as always im very impatient so i have already modded the arm to allow them to fold im more, my camera plays up from time to time so some shots didnt come out that well...

[​IMG]
    shows the arm and the lug in question

[​IMG]

You can either file like i did, or use a grinder, maybe even take it out on the road and use the concrete to "grind" it off if your desperate:tongue:

[​IMG]

Using a file only took around 3 minutes to do one side.

[​IMG]

All gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before....

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thinks for the time it takes its really worth doing even before you try your monitors, i dont see any reason why they are even there really. i'd like to see Proluma make an upgraded spring for the middle monitor, and also 4-5 inch extensions for the arms, they could bolt in easy i think, wouldnt be hard to make and fit.
    Regards Andrew

2. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

excellent, good job.

is that a 20|30|20 setup ?

Did you have issues with the 30" weight like i am ?

3. DeejW

DeejW Member

looks like a 24" in the middle

4. OP
    OP
    terroristone

terroristone Member

yeah it is, 2001fp | 3007wfphc | 2001fp, and no its no sagging like yours is, but i have looked into fixing the problem if mine dose start to sag. Try putting some washers under those screws dude...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Andrew

5. OP
    OP
    terroristone

terroristone Member

you asking for proof? or just being a nob?

6. brayway

brayway Member

will see if i require it when mine arrives, might have to go searching for dads files haha. thanks for posting this!!

7. DeejW

DeejW Member

hah no it just looked like a 24" next to the g15 but I forgot the g15 is a big keyboard

8. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

I'd love to do a setup like this, but unfortunately my desk and where it is in the house just wouldn't fit it I don't think. Looks great though, well done.

9. Dorz

Dorz Member

not sure if im right, but i believe it has something to do with not straining your eyes so much compared to working in the dark, but also not providing as much light that could annoy others...

am i close? :)

10. karltron

karltron Member

In a dark room, staring at a bright rectangle strains the eyes. It's good to have the bright rectangle taper off by backfilling the area. This is especially true in cases of such enormous monitors. Perhaps owning a 30" indicates the user will spend a lot of time with it!

The hard part is making it match the brightness of the screen properly. Some expensive TVs have backlights that try to even match the main colors being displayed.

11. lionman

lionman Member

Can't you rotate the right hand monitor 180' so the dell logo isn't between panels?

Would piss me off being there...

Nice setup by the way:thumbup:

12. millsy

millsy Member

I actually use a dark wall behind mine with a bit of lighting to balance it out, you can really tell the difference, it's nice.
    Also nice work on the mod OP :thumbup:

13. Oktavius

Oktavius Member

Sweet, you wanna add some in game shots?

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  14. ascl

ascl Member

Back lighting also helps the apparent black level of your screen, although to maintain the colour accuracy the light ideally needs to be white (6500k). More info here if anyone cares:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451527

I have a bias light for my TV, its something I'd definitely recommend. I don't have one for my computer screen tho... maybe I should :)

15. Koops

Koops Member

alarm screamer next to the network cable coming out the wall?

->[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    terroristone

terroristone Member

Thank you!

See Below

Bazinga!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, when using the factory stands you can only rotate to the right, i put the new stand on in a hurry and didnt even think about it.

i only have 4870 CF in this setup so no eyeefinity, might install softth and run some race games on here as i have since disassembled my racesim and have been having withdrawal's...

17. Archy

Archy New Member

My thoughts exactly. Driver restrictions? I love the ethernet cable coming from a whole kicked in the wall.

18. OP
    OP
    terroristone

terroristone Member

no driver restriction, just factory stand restrictions, but has since been rotated the other way. that hole isnt kicked in, its punched in, cpf getting back there and screwing the wall plate on.
    Andrew

EDIT : keep at it and i might just get back there and fix it!:tongue:

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  19. Kosti

Kosti Member

What the span measurements, ive got a relative small area and would like to fit in 22 : 24 : 22 screens in a similar set up to yours, so keen to know the area I need to make this work at my place

20. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Great mod, it would work great in your setup with walls etc.

The way I see it is that if pushed backwards or forwards too much, the whole thing might just topple over.

However I tried pulling my own setup towards me, and I can testify there's not even the remotest of possibility that this would ever happen.

I have a fair amount of space behind my own stand so a bit hesitant to try it. (I also have inquisitive cats, and a kid on the way.)

One could probably construct a blocker for the backwards movement rather easily - i.e. just something flat/long & solid zip tied to the main arm in two spots and overlapping the extension so that it'd restrict backwards movement. For forward movement, the middle monitor would probably act as a natural stopper.

I really wish Proluma could make arms that allow for a much greater forward travel play, yet still stop when moved backwards.

My own setup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jorgens/sets/72157623513054711/show/