Prospective dog owner - advice please

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Blue_muppet, May 7, 2012.

1. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Quality post! :thumbup:

2. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Thanks for your reply 5tumpy, I'll have a look into Irish Setters as well. I think at this stage a cocker or retriever with the right temperament is probably sounding like the most suitable.

You said it further above but that's OK - There seems to be two schools of thought in general, one that says dogs shouldn't be left alone for more than 4 hours, and those who have happy dogs and work a 40 hour week. I'm sure we'd all love lifestyles that allowed the former! It's good to get everyone's opinions, hence the point of this thread :)

Brocolli you mentioned dog walkers too - I think it's a good idea. Depending on how satisfied the dog was with the exercise we gave it I'd look into doing this on particular days of the week.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. broccoli

broccoli Member

No. I did not.

4. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

I understand your hesitancy re: separation anxiety as it's a nightmare but don't focus too much on that, particularly if you're considering an adult. You'll KNOW if the dog has separation anxiety because you know what you're getting.

I've got a pound rescue - probable pure pit bull or pit bull mix. At least mainly bull breed. As a whole the bull breeds are prone to Sep Anx however she deals quite well with being left alone for 11 hrs on the days I work.

5. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Update

Hi guys, I thought I would update this thread as it has been a couple of months.

A few weeks after that thread we were in contact with a Golden Retriever breeder from Melbourne's SE suburbs. It turned out she had a 5 year old female that needed to be re-homed. She had used the bitch for breeding and also as a showdog. The deal was that we could take the dog so long as she should get it back for a period when she came into season so that her last litter could be made, then we would get her back spayed.

We have had her for about 6 weeks now and she has the most beautiful temperament. She loves food, cuddles and people in that order. We have had some mild issues with her having some anxiety with us out of the house, we find leaving her indoors works the best where she can just curl up on the couch. We've been walking her twice a day so far, it actually took her a while to get used to it because I have a feeling she didn't get walked much where she was.

She's a bit of a bench-surfer when out of sight and when we're not home so we need to be careful to put food away - she once managed to eat a slice of toast straight out of the toaster and I came home one day to find she'd eaten a whole home made loaf of bread plus the accompanying butter.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Also, the in-laws are out of town for a couple of weeks so we're baby sitting their pooches.
    [​IMG]

6. Doso

Doso Member

Congrats, I have a had a Golden retriever in the past and they are an awesome dog with an excellent temperament :thumbup:

One thing I can't stress highly enough though is to get pet insurance as pure breed Golden Retrievers can have issues with their hips later on in life

7. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Thanks Doso. Do lower hip scores reduce the chance of hip complications later in life? Her hip score is 1/3

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. Jim-podiatrist

Jim-podiatrist Member

She's a good looking dog Blue-Muppet.

We've got a 1 y/o goldie, and she is still completely spastic. They reacon that 2 years for goldies and they simmer down completely.

9. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

1 is still puppy age I suppose. I'm not sure if it's her temperament or her age, but she's the most chilled dog I've ever met. She struggles to chase toys. I have a feeling it's partly her show dog training.
    Real life ducks and kangaroos though are a completely different story, she will chase them to the ends of the earth :)

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

She's lovely. What's her name?

11. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

She's just lovely, congrats!

Very good hip scores, you'll be incredibly unlikely to have hip problems other than what is to be expected from an old dog :thumbup:

Perfect example as to why going through a good breeder is so great - she isn't an unknown. You KNOW she has good hips :)

12. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Idol
    Fingers crossed :)

13. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Depends on what scoring system is used, who scores it and what the numbers you were given are related to. Are there scores for the elbows as well?

14. OP
    OP
    Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

OK thanks for that, I won't take anything for granted but was just after rule of thumb. Elbows are 0/0

15. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

Can't get better elbow scores than that. :thumbup:

16. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Most likely they are using the AVA standard Hip Dysplasia scheme. Certainly if so, those scores would indciate low likelihood of issues (each side gets a score out of 53 - lower the better). I mentioned those other things as there is a current trend amongst some breeders to send their rads off to non complying radiologists to get scored - these are not standardised, and seem to get better scores than those sent to the official scheme. There is also available other scoring schemes.

17. jastormont

jastormont Member

Regarding dogs and hip issues my Vet suggested Sashas Blend: http://www.aussiepet.com.au/sashas-blend-powder-250g.html

You just sprinkle a small amount on there food each day and it helps to prevent hip and joint issues. I have used it on my 2 dogs for years and both seem to be doing very well and 1 dog is about 10 years old now.

I just thought this may help some of the dog owners out there. ;)

18. bboredd

bboredd Member

Decent recommendation but it doesn't help prevent because it can't, however it may help delay the onset of such issues. I don't think there is concrete evidence that these things work, but nevertheless they have their place as adjunctive therapy. Degenerative joint disease will happen whether you like it or not. If a dog has poor femoral head coverage, it will get DJD even if you fed a bottle of sasha's blend daily (please don't) and gave it cartrophen prophylactically.

Anyway old dogs can do very well even with arthritis and will sometimes become acutely lame when they can no longer tolerate the pain so I think you might be giving sasha's blend a tad too much credit :D